familiehz

familiehz

Will there be a upload function for flv files, maybe it's easier for you and for us, because you don't need to convert video files than, maybe this is a good alternative?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

we do not accept .flv format. in the past it lead to people posting other people's videos they found on other videosharing web sites as their own.

Ultra

Ultra

So flv uploading === stealing content? That's like profiling middle easterns as terrorists! Sort it out ...

Ultra

Ultra

Problem - "we have problems with people uploading others content"
Solution - "ban flv"
Why is that not unilateral?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

illegitimate content is one of the problems with allowing flv uploads. i think you took my statement too literally.

Ultra

Ultra

Don't get me wrong, Vimeo is a great service, but being a Flash developer I have legitimate reasons for using flv - I might be passed flvs used in a project that I never encoded myself, so dont have avi/mov source.

Watch Systems

Watch Systems

Right, not allowing flv video files for upload on a flv video player site has to be one of the most backwards development ideas I have ever seen...??? Seriously, what is the deal here?

Bez

Bez

Agreed, we would very much appreciate an FLV upload
possibility

ty for the site btw :)

Sovandara

Sovandara

I add to the desire to be able to upload .flv I'm using Blip.tv now but would switch to Vimeo if I could upload my own .flv files. If people want to publish others content, they will do it whether they are in .flv or not.

Andris Krastiņš

Andris Krastiņš

Not really, this makes it harder and takes a lot time. I imagine many are too lazy for reconverting.

Vipin Chandran

Vipin Chandran

Even I was surprised to see NO FLV on your site. It was my first day at Vimeo, and disappointed with this. I have my content as FLV. I got it as FLV (seminar recording) as the guy who recorded said its better be in FLV, if its for sharing on the web.

'Its easy to upload other people's content as FLV, so NO FLV at all'. Did American's ban Airplanes after 9/11? Its easy to attack right? Hmmm

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

let me reiterate the same comment i posted 7 months ago (see above).

"illegitimate content is one of the problems with allowing flv uploads."

Mike Porter

Mike Porter

Then let's go over the other problems with allowing flv uploads. Making a point, and implying that it is not really the major reason for the decision is not answering the question.

Vipin Chandran

Vipin Chandran

Ok. Then that becomes one of the reasons to avoid 'Vimeo'.. I will get back when I get some other file types...

jambo san

jambo san

I agree with all above. Vimeo was going to be my site of choice for video hosting but given the lack of foresight in allowing .flv files I shall take my files elsewhere. How about some 21st Century new media innovative thinking to go with the product?

Michael Herzog

Michael Herzog

The thing is, if you allow to bypass the Vimeo encoder, you open the doors for all kinds of risk. YT and other sites allow FLV, but they always re-encode anyway!

If your only kind of source is FLV, you can always demux it to its elementary streams and mux it to another container like Matroska.

#FLVExtract" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">moitah.net/#FLVExtract

Charles Huettner

Charles Huettner

what michael said is true. websites always re-encode anyway. so whats the point. also, if youre tech savvy enough to make .flv files, you should be able to make many other formats of video. so really, youre all just bitching about nothing.

jambo san

jambo san

In response to Charles Huettner, I am not particularly web savvy with regards to video production. I chose .flv for my personal videos because the software I use, Corel Video Studio has a .flv youtube specific setting for making the videos from. If sites are going to introduce new software that only allows for above average knowledge of video production to manipulate their files then I fear that it is just not going to take on with masses. Great site for the 2.0 Bourgeois...

Michael Herzog

Michael Herzog

Hm, I think everyone working with digital video needs to know a little about the export choices available.

I'm not saying that you need to work out what frameserving is or how you get streams out of an FLV container in an MP4 container, but it should be enough to understand the Vimeo recommendations and set them in your video editor of choice.

I'd feel a little uncomfortable to depend on a such a preset. YouTube just updated to HD - what do I do if nobody updates the preset? *panic* ;)

Mike Chelen

Mike Chelen

Michael Herzog: Even in the cases of someone familiar with video conversion, an extra step is being added to slow the upload process.

Mark Phillip

Mark Phillip

Add me to the list of folks disappointed that I can't upload an .FLV.

charlie arehart

charlie arehart

I'd like to chime in also to reconsider support of FLV format. I do appreciate some of the challenges that kept it out in the past. But to those who keep insisting that we who want it are being obstinate, here's another perspective.

The FLV I want to upload is not produced from a camera (nor downloaded from YT). Rather, it's the output of a web-based system that permits creation of screen (and audio) recordings. All it supports is creation of FLVs.

So sure, I could convert it to another format, but that's proving to be a hassle for a variety of reasons. Being able to upload FLV would simply facilitate my using Vimeo. I suppose the number in this situation may be small. Still, just wanted to say it's not because we're lazy or stupid. :-)

Tjebbe van Tijen

Tjebbe van Tijen Plus

First remark: if NO Flash = a VIMEO policy. This should be stated with an explanation or a link to an explanation. As Poorly configured searches of this forum will not led one find the proper place (the word flash is too frequently used). Second the argument (as is shown in several reactions here) is an amazing simplistic one. The holding of a (copy) right to publish an electronic document can not be determined by using a file type. I can not understand any serious internet business using such a filter. Just make a little step in your upload and let your customers digi-sign two questions: 1) is this your identity; 2) such and such an identity declares that he/she has the right to post the following electronic document (showing the full file name, its format, its length, its date, etcetera. I will call that document the depository document. When somebody (I will call that person a contestant) contests a certain file on Vimeo, they will have to identify themselves first in a form, next they will get an email with a link to the 'depository document'. The contestant can then fill in a form with tagged remarks and a free text field (I call that document a 'copyright claim'). This copyright claim will be send via a Vimeo routine to the customer, asking the customer to reply within say a period of 14 days to this 'copy right claim'. All this can be handled by a simple automated protocol. Only when within 4 weeks a customer has failed to come to an agreement with a 'contestant' Viemeo will come directly in to play, as they will anyhow with all of the other video format cases. THis is of course a tentative protocol... but it shows a positive way of acting instead of a ridiculous discrimination of content arbitrary based on some file format.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

first of all i would like to point out that we display our supported formats on the upload page. flash is one of many formats we do not or cannot support currently and i don't think explaining the reasons for every format we don't support is not very useful for our users.

secondly, we have supported flv format in the past and decided we had to stop. yes, you may say it sounds simplistic but you are focusing only one of the reasons why we choose not to support it. there are many other technical, infrastructural, quality, development and encoding related issues that weighed in on our decision.

as for your rights related points, i'd like to point out that we already have flagging and DMCA system in place and also enforce our users to agree to our content policy when they register and upload. none of these however seemed to help in the past as far as flv videos and copyright issues are concerned when we did allow it in the past.

Linas Pozera

Linas Pozera

Flv would be very good to upload.Ive got 7000 bitrate what is equal to dvdqualityand it only 90MB of 3'33 length music Video. Exelelnt quality and I cannot upload it .Imcrying...

Imachinations

Imachinations

Not supporting flv is a MAJOR drawback for me and as I can see for many other people...

billimarie

billimarie

I'd also appreciate it if there were an .flv option...thanks !

-b

Martins Zutis

Martins Zutis

it took me "only" 5 hours to convert 5 gb 5 minute long hd video to, with lots of noisy details that had to be preserved (it looks a bit like crappy jpeg pics anyway), to 200mb flv. didn't find any information in faq about flv.
great.
should have made gif animation instead!

Mt Rubidoux Media

Mt Rubidoux Media PRO

I have read this blog/forum and I thought it best to make a comment. With respects to flv format used by others to post borrow content, They are going to do that no matter what. I am one of the media directors for my church. We found Vimeo and thought it would be a great source to share our church services. We bought the plus service and thought would were set. We went to flash due to the quality as you can plainly see in the differences of the wmv format and the flv format however, with the limitations on file size we are right back to square one. I thought the work around would be MOV format however those files are way to big so that limits us to showing poor quality even when Vimeo encodes the upload. My thinking is why can't Vimeo do what facebook does and place the burden of proof on the uploader. If they feel this content is not original then ban the content and the uploader would have to prove they own the content. Then you won't have this bickering. Vimeo, your product is great. But banning one type of format over the other is ridiculous. You can use any format to upload non-original stuff not just flash. So why not take the suggestion that i mentioned earlier and allow the flash and put other measures in place which will also halt others from using the other formats to upload non-original stuff as well. Truly all you are doing is pushing folk to use other formats to upload their borrowed content. Yes it may be harder to do but I guarantee you it's not stopping folk for doing it and doing it on Vimeo as well. Unless you have something that is going to clean up the wmv format to quality that of flash then please allow it as your reasoning for not allowing is extremely weak. Thanks for hearing my concern.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

i feel like a broken record but i will say what i've already stated above again:

there are also many of other technical and business variables that lead us to stop supporting FLV format.

Edward Henry Sewell Mitchell

Edward Henry Sewell Mitchell

i guess upsetting some of your most vocal, knowledgeable, and most supportive fans is a "business variable" that you can afford to ignore for now. I would be careful because there's always another group of kids in their garage cooking something up that satisfies an unmet need in the marketplace

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

right on. and all the more better because of all those kids in the garage innovating. on this topic in particular however i would point out that we're not ignoring the problem. it's something we've offered before and after careful examination decided to drop support for,

Craig Fifer

Craig Fifer

Perhaps as a compromise, Vimeo could help FLV users figure out how to convert them before uploading them. I will defer to Vimeo on whether the format should be supported, but it is odd that there is a lot of demand for this format and Vimeo is silent about it.

I used UStream.tv to webcast an event, which worked beautifully. The only download option I have is FLV, and now I'm not sure how to get it into Vimeo. I've tried two converters/extractors so far (including the one mentioned above), but neither worked.

Sofus Comer

Sofus Comer Plus

Besides you guys have made a fantastic tool and community that in some cases almost is to good to be true, I also do not understand why of all good vibes you send out with opensource, html5, you disallow .flv.

For me .flv is the highest compression quality around. I use Squeeze for FLash Pro 6 and it does a sweet job still to be rivaled.

You allready have a trust your customers "atmosphere" that others "YouTube" don´t have. its great and you should feed on it. Kick out the ones who do not grasp this and keep the ones who do!

Victor Antofica

Victor Antofica

want flv upload, currently doing flv(split to avi+mp3 in 1min)->avi(compression in 180 min)->upload

Vincent

Vincent

Please bring back FLV upload support. I have a very slow upload speed and it helps a lot to encode into FLV instead of some large file size format. I will use another site until I can upload FLV's again.

Joost Bult

Joost Bult

Are there any other Vimeo like sites where I can go to upload my .flv's? (except youtube...)

David Covo

David Covo

I work as a university professor in Cartagena de Indias,Colombia. I use Vimeo to create groups for my students where they can post their assignments. It is a drawback not to have FLV format because many of them have low bandwitchs and uploading time can be much longer. I wish Vimeo reconsiders the use of FLV as an uploading format.

Jonathan Price

Jonathan Price

I vote for FLV. I'm switching from a streaming service where we had to provide all of our content already in FLV. This is the only format I have. I will now have to convert my video so it can be converted again. It's going to look terrible.

Glasbranschföreningen (GBF)

Glasbranschföreningen (GBF)

I suggest you at least(!) prove a step by step guide on how to convert flv so that it can be uploaded. For those who have material i only flv-format.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

the problem is that there are so many different programs and they all have different step by step procedures on converting files. i think the best way to start would be to look for apps that does this via google (ie. "FLV to MP4 converter") and follow the app's instructions.

Ing. Jan Kaláb

Ing. Jan Kaláb

On Linux: ffmpeg -i file.flv -vcodec copy -acodec copy file.mkv

video

video Plus

flv please. Just joined. Just found out. Not going to use now.

seckelman

seckelman Plus

I want to become a Vimeo PLUS member. Right now I am a Premium Motionbox.com member, but Motionbox.com was purchased by HP's Snapfish and will close down 8-10-10. Snapfish does NOT have HD. Two Questions: 1) how can I transfer my videos on Motionbox.com directly to Vimeo Plus? 2) Will you ever allow FLV files? Many of my home videos are in FLV format and it will be a pain to convert them to AVI or MOV. Joe Seckelman

Esteban López Adriano

Esteban López Adriano

Come on guys... I can download a .flv video, convert it to any of the allowed filetypes and upload it in les than 15'. The reason I don't do it is because it kills the video quality.
So don't say that it's a matter of Copyright. If you don't have the support for that kind of conversion, just say it.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

i've reiterated this 3-4 times on this thread alone but i will say it one more time since many people seem to only hear the things they want to while ignoring the rest of the arguments:

Soeren Mueller

Soeren Mueller Plus

Hmmm.. I could swear I uploaded an HD video in FLV format last week and it was successfully uploaded and converted by Vimeo. Was I only dreaming? Did I smoke something? .. I think not... how is that?

Inforum

Inforum

there are also many of other technical and business variables that lead us to stop supporting FLV format.

any chance you could elaborate on this? I just purchased a premium account (not this account) and am downright appalled that you don't allow a .flv upload. i can't see what 'technical' issues you would have and as far as a 'business' decision is concerned... this is a bad one.

Mark Harrison

Mark Harrison

Soxiam,

You write, correctly, that you have "reiterated this 3-4 times... is *one* of the problems".

I have just read this entire thread through, end to end, twice.

- Someone asked why vimeo didn't support FLV.
- YOU posted that it was illegitimate content.
- People picked up on this.
- You said that we were taking you too literally, and there were other reasons.
- People asked what those other reasons were.
- I have read four or five posts from you, saying that we shouldn't be concentrating on the reason that YOU gave, but none that actually explained what the other reasons were.

Please could you give us an indication of the other reasons?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

hello mark. perhaps you've missed this from one of my comments above:

" there are many other technical, infrastructural, quality, development and encoding related issues that weighed in on our decision."

FLV format has become increasingly difficult for us to work with. it requires a specific transcoding system that we are trying to move away from based on its licensing system and the output quality.

Carol

Carol

I just purchased a paid account and proceeded to upload my videos. But you don't support flv's. I just canceled my account with brightcove to come with vimeo and no flv support. This is very strange as everyone supports flv. We are a video production company and only use the flv format. You have a great service, pity you don't support flv. I guess I need to try and get a refund

Henkka

Henkka

youtube allows flv upload, why not vimeo?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

for one thing we're not youtube. as for the other reasons why we stopped supporting FLV uploads please read our responses above.

raptor

raptor

my HD video is 3 gega byte ... !!! and FLV is 62 Mega byte ! ... Oh my god that is like the incomplete ring you fill it from somewhere and from the other is uncovered i Need Help right here !

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.