Mark

Mark Staff

We know you've been waiting for the Android app for a long time and it's finally here! You can read more about it in our blog post vimeo.com/blog:470

Do you have any questions, comments or bug reports? Please post them here. We appreciate your feedback and will use it to make the next version even better!

IF YOU'RE EXPERIENCING A PROBLEM: 1) What device are you using? 2) What version of Android are you running? 3) If you received an error and you have the know how, please provide a log showing the exception stacktrace. If you don't know what this means, no worries, just skip it!

Joseph Schmitt

Joseph Schmitt Staff

Hi guys,

We've pushed out an update (version 1.0.36) to the Android Marketplace that should fix the "Unparseable date" exception. Let us know if the fix works for you or not.

Thanks.

David Lauder

David Lauder

It really looks like you guys dropped the ball on this one. Sorry to say but it seems like most people here are running 2.3.4 or higher and it doesnt work or is running slow or it looks bad.

It seems like you guys should have held off a little longer and made sure it would work. Honeycomb and now with Ice Cream Sandwich this app should run smooth and look good.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

I'm sorry you feel that way, David. We are working hard to ensure compatibility with as many devices as possible across the many different flavours of Android. With more combinations of devices and Android versions than we have employees, incompatibilities are inevitable. As always, we appreciate constructive criticism from the Vimeo and Android communities; thanks for your patience and support!

Chris Crowe

Chris Crowe

Downloaded the app, and SOME videos work fine. example, Martins Videos "Wishes HD" works fine, Martins "The Magic the Memoirs & You HD" I get "Video Error and Unknown playback error has occurred" Any ideas why? I'm running Android 4.0.2 on a Galaxy Nexus.

Thanks.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Chris, sorry for the trouble. We'll look into this. Were those the only two videos that gave you errors?

TONYBOT Video Productions

TONYBOT Video Productions Plus

Samsung Galaxy S2, OS: 2.36
Latest build of the app.

"Video Error: An unknown playback error has occured".

The player looks to be set, it knows the runtime, etc, but it bombs out as soon as i press play. Very similar to the Vimeo.com/m issues. I'll try ANY suggestions.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi there, sorry for the trouble. Is this happening on a specific video?

Hi... it happens on any video... All of the ones on my account should have mobile versions, but i've tried other people's videos, as well. thank you.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Flash...

Chris Crowe

Chris Crowe

Thanks for your quick response.

No, it's not the only video. I found your site through Martin's Videos (Disney fan stuff which my kids like to see.) Some of the videos work, on my phone, others do not. Video 30885670 works, Videos 33902639, 31308935, 31247876, 26137184 and 25628733 do not. Others may or may not --- these are just examples.

And now I just got an "out of memory" message on my phone.

Any help would be appreciated -- sometimes I need these to keep little ones occupied. I am running Android 4.0.2 on a Galaxy Nexus.

Thanks again

Boston Wedding Films

Boston Wedding Films PRO

Aspect ratio of 2.35:1 (anamorphic) no longer looks correct on iPhone or Android phones, with or without this new app. Videos uploaded a week or two ago look fine. Now they are reformatted to 16x9 for mobile devices (but look fine on computer browsers).

Link: vimeo.com/35134379

An update: I get "Video Error: An unknown playback error has occured". if connected on 4G or 3G, but if connected on Wifi, it all works... Same deal with the mobile site.

Samsung Galaxy S2. Any generic suggestions?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hmm, that's really odd. I've notified the dev team. Sorry for the inconvenience.

KennethFILMS

KennethFILMS

I have a Toshiba Thrive Tablet (Android) and engage full websites but Vimeo videos play nowhere "embeds, twitter / facebook postings & even Viemo website."

Downloaded Vimeo mobile app which videos play but app is unless to me since I need others & myself to view the "shared" videos.

Is there an update to fix this issue to enable Vimeo videos to play on full sites via android tablets?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Ken, sorry for the trouble. I'm not sure what you mean when you're unable to view shared videos, or that you can't get videos to play on full sites. Could you clarify?

KennethFILMS

KennethFILMS

Thanks Tommy "can't get videos to play on full sites"... websites, twitter, facebook, etc.

kentwitter.info
kenfacebook.info

Link: kenfacebook.info

Mark

Mark Staff

Are you trying to view your own videos? As a basic member, you cannot view your videos on mobile devices.

Mark

Mark Staff

Thanks for taking the time to make that video, Ken. Facebook doesn't use our embed code so we can't guarantee that it will play back on mobile devices there. They use their own proprietary code to display video there. This should be working on Vimeo, however. Ill have our developers look into this.

KennethFILMS

KennethFILMS

Glad to help. One good thing is video showed consistency with playback issue on facebook, twitter, and video back-link to my vimeo profile page. Thanks for addressing problem and Good luck!

ZV Media

ZV Media

Just thought I'd try to be specific about the way videos embedded on my website play back on my Samsung S2 - to see if it helps you in any way. They are sometimes hard to get playing (the video on bottom right of my homepage for example). When they do play the aspect ratio is a bit out and you normally can't rewind to the beginning again.

Sorry to ask you again, but it's important to me that it works, as I need to demonstrate this to potential clients. Do you think you'll have a solution soon? Thanks.

Link: zestvideo.com

Mark

Mark Staff

We're aware of the issues with Android playback and are working on fixing them. We have no ETA at the moment on when they'll be resolved but we're looking into it. Please post any further issues here: vimeo.com/forums/topic:43712 - This thread is unrelated to your issue.

Joe Valenti

Joe Valenti Plus

I just downloaded the new app and everytime I try to play any of my videos I get the "An unknown playback error has occured". I have a plus account and all of my videos have mobile versions. I am running an android version 2.3.5 on the Samsung Epic

Elizabeth Rollins

Elizabeth Rollins

I am having a problem viewing vedios on my tablet. I can enter the password and see the vedio but then i get a message saying it will not play on my device. What can i do?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Elizabeth, only Plus and PRO members can create mobile versions of their videos. If you're trying to watch a video from a basic member (including your own videos), chances are that a mobile-compatible version doesn't exist.

Hwang

Hwang

Video Error
An unknown playback error has occurred.

I have upload .mp4 format
My android version is 3.2
Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Verizon

I have converted .MTS to .mp4 format
case 1: H.264 Video @ 720x576 Video Size works
case 2: H.264 Video @ 720x480 Video Size doesn't work

I will do more testing in near future.

Verizon

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi there, can you provide a link to the video that's giving you the error?

Lindsborg Covenant Church

Lindsborg Covenant Church

I'm working on an Android app for our church and wish to include a link to My Videos on the mobile side. Someone should be able to click on the icon and go directly to all the videos in My Videos and select which one they want to play, without having to log in or including a separate embed code for each video. Is it possible to access My Videos category for a specific user via a link in the mobile site?

Link: vimeo.com/user7897480/videos

Joe Valenti

Joe Valenti Plus

A few days ago I made a post regarding the "An unknown playback error has occured". Following my post a day later I was finally able to see all of my videos through the Vimeo app on my phone. It worked for about 4 days and suddenly today I am getting the same messege today and can no longer play the videos. Any thoughts? I have a plus account and all of my videos have mobile versions. I am running an android version 2.3.5 on the Samsung Epic

jimmyleesmith

jimmyleesmith Plus

can't play embedded videos on android 2.3.5 phone. my website embeds my vids that are on vimeo. but get flash player error on android, and of course iphone won't do flash. is there an solution that will let me embed from vimeo, or do i need to look for another place/player for my videos.

Link: earluminator.com/videos

jimmyleesmith

jimmyleesmith Plus

earluminator.com/video/
i think i put an s on the end of video by mistake before
thanks

"Hi jimmylee smith!
Tommy Penner has replied to your comment on Vimeo:
"Hi there, the link you provided is broken. Can you give a new one?"
"

Joe Valenti

Joe Valenti Plus

Thanks Tommy, also in addition to the app working, I cannot view any videos directly off of the vimeo website, nor any of my videos. I get the cannot play video messege. If I go to my website which is filled with all of my embedded videos, they all play fine. Just can't play them through the android app or off the vimeo website itself. I have a plus account and all of my videos have mobile versions. I am running an android version 2.3.5 on the Samsung Epic. Thanks, Joe

jimmyleesmith

jimmyleesmith Plus

Tommy, thanks for pointing me to the directions for making my vids mobile ready.
- JimmyLee

Matthew Powell

Matthew Powell

Hi. Motorola Xoom, ICS. App allows me to watch one video in full screen, then if I try to resize the video from full screen to normal or hit the back button on the Xoom menus, the app closes. Thanks. Loving the videos, though.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Sorry for the trouble, Matthew. We're looking into tablet-related issues now. Thanks for the feedback!

Joe Valenti

Joe Valenti Plus

Hey guys, any more progress on the android app...I cannot view any videos directly off of the vimeo website, nor any of my videos fromt he android app. I get the "cannot play video" messege, "unknown video error". If I go to my website which is filled with all of my embedded videos, they all play fine. Just can't play them through the android app or off the vimeo website itself. I have a plus account and all of my videos have mobile versions. I am running an android version 2.3.5 on the Samsung Epic. Thanks, Joe

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi there, is the channel not playing in the Android app or in your mobile browser? If you're having trouble with playback in your mobile browser, please create a new topic in this forum.

Monte Shuck

Monte Shuck

I downloaded the Vimeo Android app on my Kindle Fire. Can logon fine but can't find my friend's videos. When I click on "my account", I see I have 1 friend, but don't know how to get to her videos. I search on her name, but her videos aren't shared publically.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Monte, only Vimeo Plus members can create mobile-compatible versions of their videos. If your contact is not a Plus member, chances are that his or her videos aren't available to play back on a mobile device.

Wifi works, 4G/3G does not... I'm considering resetting my phone to factory specifications, but that would be a lot of work for nothing if it doesn't help.

Jose Suau

Jose Suau

Motorola Xoom, running ICS, can hear the video, but can not see it

Nick Grijalva

Nick Grijalva Plus

just joined vimeo. Really like it. Thinking about becoming Plus member. But am I missing how to view your contacts videos through the app? How do I view my contacts videos in the app?

didroug

didroug

i install (samsung galaxy Y) vimeo android app today and some of the xideo are not playing. all of my video and other user why? what must to do. is my video the problem?

Remo Dyson

Remo Dyson

On my Galaxy prevail for boostmobile every video says can not show video. Why?

Joe Valenti

Joe Valenti Plus

Hey guys, any more progress on the android app...I cannot view any videos directly off of the vimeo website, nor any of my videos from the android app. I get the "cannot play video" messege, "unknown video error". If I go to my website which is filled with all of my embedded videos, they all play fine. Just can't play them through the android app or off the vimeo website itself. I have a plus account and all of my videos have mobile versions. I am running an android version 2.3.5 on the Samsung Epic. Thanks, Joe

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Thank you for your patience, Joe. We're looking at your specific case now and hope to figure out a workaround. In the meantime, can you try downloading a video that doesn't work, and then playing it with the native Android player?

Joe Valenti

Joe Valenti Plus

I cannot even log into my account through the vimeo website in order to download a video. When I go to the log in page and put in my email address and password, it takes me to a page that says "Unauthorized. Sorry, this action could not be completed because it appears your form session has expired. Please return to the previous page and try again". Not sure why I can't get on either.

MyAccount

MyAccount

PLEASE CAN YOU CREATE VIMEO APP for KINDLE FIRE? PLEASE PLEASE.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

We had to make a few changes per Amazon's request, be patient, it'll appear in the Marketplace with time.

Max

Max

I tried uploading a video from my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket running gingerbread), English language, and the video uploads, but I can't play it.

When I check from the computer it says "The video will start converting in a moment". Been this way for an hour the first time. Same issue two times in a row (~20mins this time and counting). I haven't had any issues uploading/converting from the computer.

Max

Max

After a few hours it finally converted, but now it doesn't play back.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

I cleared the cache on our end; a mobile version does exist of that file, so try it out now. Can you watch other videos on your mobile?

Max

Max

Can't view it on mobile, I can't even watch that video through the PC.

When it tries to play it, the time says 0:00 and it jumps to the end of the scroll bar and goes back to the beginning (0:00)

I can view my other videos on mobile (through the vimeo app).

I can try to download the video from the phone to the PC and see if it uploads correctly to Vimeo then. I've had no issues uploading other videos from the PC, but the only time I tried uploading through the android app, it's giving me issues.

Jeff Frick

Jeff Frick Plus

My Videos don't play on the Mobil. Android, Sprint Nexus S 4, Android 2.3.7 - They start to load, hear audio for a second or two, they they stop, "Video Error - The video server is no longer available" Thought I set up my system so all the videos were available for mobile playback. Help. Thanks, Jeff

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Jeff, have you enabled "create mobile-compatible versions of my videos" in your global settings?

Carl Roberts

Carl Roberts

Would it be possible for you guys to allow the android app install to the sd card?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Carl, thanks for the feedback. We'll consider it for a future release.

Jeff Frick

Jeff Frick Plus

Yes, I have the settings set so I can view on mobile.
That doesn't seem to be working.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Are you able to watch other mobile videos on Vimeo, or are you only having trouble with your own?

Jeff Frick

Jeff Frick Plus

I haven't tried any others' videos, just mine, will try that. But I'm mainly interested in showing my videos to others on my phone.
It's top of the line Android from Sprint, so hopefully this gets fixed.
Thanks,
Jeff

KennethFILMS

KennethFILMS

Thanks for fixing android playback and Facebook embedding issues.

Christer Engstrand

Christer Engstrand

I have a Acer Iconia 501 tablet running android. My video can´t be played on my tablet and the message is: "This video won´t work on this device. Click the Later button to watch it later."
What does this mean? I have clicked the Later button and later tried to start the video, but in vain...
The video plays on my ordinary PC without problems...

From Halmstad, Sweden,
/Christer Engstrand

christer_engstrand@yahoo.se

Link: vimeo.com/37101228

Philip David Morgan

Philip David Morgan Plus

I'm using an Acer Iconia Tab A100 with Android 3.0 ("Honeycomb"). Downloading and installing went fine, but not logging in (the error message reads in part "Unauthorized - Invalid / expired timestamp... either to far in the past or in the future. Vimeo thinks the current time is 1330139524"). Any thoughts?

Sam Morrill

Sam Morrill Staff

Hi Philip, can you make sure that your Tablet is setting the time and date automatically (i.e. via the internet) and not manually?

Philip David Morgan

Philip David Morgan Plus

A-ha! -That- was it.... I guess I'm still getting acquainted with my A100... anyway, the app is good to go and everything streams just right! Thank you!

Haley Font

Haley Font

I just downloaded the Android app onto my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. The app seems to be working, but the ideos aren't playing very well. Sometimes they don't play at all and I get a message saying the format is not right for my device, or that the video has not been optimized for mobile. I tried using the browser to go to thr Vimeo site and to play my videos. I still get the "not optimized for moblie" message. Many play, but the video doesn't play very well. It's jerky and out of sync with the audio. What does one need to do to optimize the videos for mobile?

md84110

md84110

Hello,
I can not play videos "viméo" on acer A501 tablet.
Is this normal?
thank you for your help.

Jared Robison

Jared Robison PRO

I have a new Vimeo PRO account. The sole reason I purchased PRO is so that my customers can view videos on mobile devices. Not to go too far into it, but my company intends to utilize Vimeo PRO as a QR code solution. Basically, I will be uploading videos and generating QR (bar) codes that link to that specific video. Customers will scan the specific barcode and be able to watch the video. I thought I had everything figured out, but I am getting an error message that says that I am unable to play the video platform. I have enabled mobile versions of the video in the settings menu, but am unable to play them on my DROID 2 smartphone. I do not need the ability to upload, edit or manage the videos, but I need to make sure that my customers can view the videos on their devices. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Are you trying to access your videos from within the Vimeo app, or using the browser on Android?

If you're just using the browser, can you create a new thread in the main help forum? This thread is about the Android app.

Jared Robison

Jared Robison PRO

How do I create a new thread in the main help forum? Can't see where that option is! Thank you

William Wraith IV

William Wraith IV Plus

I now can't log in via my Android Vimeo App on a Motorola Atrix. I was able to log in fine yesterday when I first installed the app, but now it gives me:

server request failed: 401
Unauthorized - User not found -
The user credentials passed are not valid.

I am using the correct email address and the correct password, I am sure. Tried everything I could, i.e. cleared data and cache, stopped the app, even uninstalled and reinstalled, but nothing solves the problem. I would really like to use the app. It was working just fine. Any help appreciated.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi William, sorry about that. I'll have a developer look into this once we're back in the office tomorrow.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

William, just to make sure, you're using the official Vimeo App from the Android Marketplace, correct?

William Wraith IV

William Wraith IV Plus

Yes, I am using the official Vimeo App. It worked fine at first, but now it gives the error above consistently. I have gone through clearing all data, cache, even uninstalled and reinstalled the app, but nothing works. I have no problem logging in via the browser, even on the same Android device. I would just use the browser, but for some reason it says my videos won't play, even though I do have flash 11 installed and seems to play video on some other sites. The Vimeo App does play my videos if I search for them, but it won't let me log in.

William Wraith IV

William Wraith IV Plus

I just tried again, and it is still rejecting my attempt to log in with the same error as described above.

William Wraith IV

William Wraith IV Plus

Android 2.3.6 on a Motorola Atrix 3G via AT&T, kernel 2.6.32.9 build 4.5.141. I haven't changed anything from when it did work a couple of days ago. I created my Vimeo account from my desktop PC using Chrome or Firefox at various times, uploaded some videos from the desktop, then installed the Vimeo (official) app on my Android phone. It worked fine, other than the small point (now fixed, I think) regarding one video not showing in some views of my videos. Then, at some point a few hours later, I tried to log in, and it gave me the authorization errors posted above. I tried clearing all and un/re-installing again a couple of hours ago, but it still gives the same error. I have tried from both home wifi (going out via comcast) and AT&T cellular network and get the same error either way. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but it may be that it started happening after someone got in touch from Vimeo saying they had addressed the issue that my email verification link gave a non-existent page error. Of course, that may just be a coincidence. I'm just trying to imagine what would cause a difference between authorization via the Vimeo app and authorization via browser (only for me?).

William Wraith IV

William Wraith IV Plus

I also tried changing my password from the browser and using the forgotten password link in the login page of the vimeo app. No luck.

William Wraith IV

William Wraith IV Plus

Just wondering if there's been any progress on this problem.

Some questions: 1) Is there anything else I can do to clear possible corruption of my app? I've cleared all data and cache, uninstalled, re-installed, and powered on and off my phone in various orders, none of which has helped so far. Is there any other place on the phone or in my settings at vimeo that could clear this up?
2) Is this happening just to me, or is it a general problem for all users?
3) If there is a problem at your end, would it be possible to force a reset of my authentication data everywhere in your system, i.e. if it is corrupt somewhere, such that only my Android App, not any browser access I make, is a problem, then can't this be fixed.
4) Is there some device or IP blockage on my phone that has occurred for some reason, (although I am coming from the same IP as this browser I'm on right now when I use wifi on my phone) that is causing this? If so, can't you undo the blockage?

I'm hoping this might not be a very difficult problem to solve, if someone could please look at it. I would be happy to get on the phone or go to an email dialog with someone to solve this. It's jsut a shame, because the app was working, and I could play videos with it on my phone. I can't play videos, except by downloading them, using the browser interface, although I do have flash installed on my Android device (Atrix)

Thanks, Bill Wraith

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Bill, I discussed this with our mobile devs a bit and we'd like to know if: 1) Are you able to log into Vimeo via the website, not the app? 2) In the app, do you actually see the login dialog? Do you type in your username/password and then does it deliver the server error message?

William Wraith IV

William Wraith IV Plus

Hi Tommy, Yes, I can log in via the website on any device, including even the mobile device. It is only when I try to log in via the app on my Android device (Motorola Atrix), that I get the error above. Yes, it does give me a login dialog. I type in the exact email address and password I use to login via the web site using a browser, but in the Android app, it gives me the error message above.

William Wraith IV

William Wraith IV Plus

OK, I just checked it, and it now lets me log in and play videos (Excellent!). I haven't tried it since I made my post above (4 days ago). I'm wondering if you guys found something, or did it fix itself magically. I don't think I've done anything at all here to change the picture. I'll try it again later. I checked several times per day up until about 4 days ago, and this problem persisted for several days.

Igor Soldo

Igor Soldo

I got the same problem as Will, on a xcover (samsung) running the latest version of android. but nothing I try makes it work......

Joep

Joep

"An unknown playback error has occured" for all my uploads vimeo.com/joep.
Many Staff-picks can be played however.

Using the internet browser the error message: this video cannot be displayd on your device.

All youtube videos can be played however.

Samsung Galaxy Gio with Android 2.3 using WiFi.

Joep

Joep

Hi,

Thnx, I understand.

market.android.com did not tell me.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Thanks for the tip, we'll consider adding that to our Marketplace description.

The Attic Pro

The Attic Pro

I can´t watch my videos with my android phone, its 2.3.3, it also appears a message : an unknown error...

Joe Valenti

Joe Valenti Plus

Hey guys, any more progress on the android app...I cannot view any videos directly off of the vimeo website, nor any of my videos from the android app. I get the "cannot play video" messege, "unknown video error". If I go to my website which is filled with all of my embedded videos, they all play fine. Just can't play them through the android app or off the vimeo website itself. I have a plus account and all of my videos have mobile versions. I am running an android version 2.3.5 on the Samsung Epic. Thanks, Joe

Lion

Lion

Works perfectly on my phone so far.

Inspire 4g/Gingerbread 2.3.3

Michael N. Cohen

Michael N. Cohen

On my kindlle fire I consistently get the error message ˝video server not available' when trying to view a video.

Maagan TV

Maagan TV PRO

hey, is there a way to show my page on the app as it is on vimeo? or at least show the search resaults (lets say i search "maagan tv") by the time uploaded? i dont understand by what the application is sorting the videoes in the search engine.
thanks

Maagan TV

Maagan TV PRO

how do i show only my videos on the app? not through my user...

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

You should be able to tap "My Videos" in the app to bring up all your videos.

Gavin Melville

Gavin Melville

Hi is there any way to clear the search field inside the Android app. I cannot seem to be able to do so. Logging out does not help.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Gavin, can you try clearing the app cache by going into App Manager and clearing all the data?

Igor Soldo

Igor Soldo

so anybody who knows how to fix the log on problem for the android app?

I get the log on screen, and after I type in the mail & password I get the error message:

VimeoError
server request failed: 401
unauthorized - invalid /
expired token- - the oauth_timestamp passed is
either too far in the past or in
the future. vimeo thinks the
current time is 1332245545

I get this message even if I try wrong username/password......

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Igor, can you try clearing the app cache by going into App Manager and clearing all the data?

Igor Soldo

Igor Soldo

Hi Tommy, no data to clear.....

Igor Soldo

Igor Soldo

did, 5 times. nothing. always the same problem...

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

I'll pass this along to our developers to take a look at. What device and Android version are you using?

Joe Valenti

Joe Valenti Plus

Igor, I had the same problem. Ihad to turn on cookies on my phone and then I was able to log on. Try that.

Igor Soldo

Igor Soldo

Fixed now, just had to put in the right date on my phone. It was lagging a day behind.......

Don and Laura Burrows

Don and Laura Burrows

Using the Vimeo app on the Kindle Fire, I get that the "video server is no longer available" any time I play one of my videos. I'm connected to the Internet fine. It's done this ever since I got the app.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.