vimeor

vimeor

Using opera 1150 and used web site html5test.com, although web browser is compatible with video element, ogg theora and webm, unable to view any videos. Please help me to use an html5 player and then identify only html5 content.

Mark

Mark Staff

We don't use webm or ogg, we use h.264 so opera is not compatible, sorry!

Truc Designs

Truc Designs PRO

That's unfortunate. This means that Firefox without Flash is also incompatible, correct?

coxy

coxy

This is really disappointing. I understand your reasoning why:

"The simple fact is right now h264 allows us the most flexibility to display on many devices and many players with the same file."

...however, lead by example. Etc. Etc.

coxy

coxy

I imagine the longer the decision to support WebM in addition to h264 is left, the harder it is to implement or more unlikely it is to be implemented. Well, the longer it will take to transcode an ever increasing back catalogue of videos.

And, of course, there's the (unmentionable) question of where the Vimeo staff stand. I'm sure in an ideal world, most of you would love to follow web standards - at least, I hope so - but are bound by the expense, budget and expectations of parent companies?

When it comes to content; is this served up on the site before Flash? Or is Flash currently the default and the standards compliant method secondary to this?

Maki

Maki

Mark and Tommy,

that kind of attitude is inexcusable. Stop promoting patented, proprietary stuff and start doing something for the community and a free internet. After all Youtube can do it too.

Jon Duncanson-Aviana Productions

Jon Duncanson-Aviana Productions Plus

I am very new to HML5, so please excuse me if these questions seem basic. Should I take from this that a third party HMTL5 player will not play Vimeo videos on Opera/Firefox unless the player is backward compatible with Flash and the viewer has Flash installed? I need a multiple video player but Hubnut will not work on Iphones and Ipads. So I am looking for a solution that will work with Iphones and Ipads, as well as other mobile devices and PCs. I like the sublime playlist player, but it is HTML5. But it will not work on Firefox/Opera without Flash, correct?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Jon, that's correct. Both Firefox and Opera are incompatible with our HTML5 player and can only play back using the Flash player.

We're working on an HTML5 version of the HubNut, keep an eye out for that very very soon :)

sonm_vids

sonm_vids Plus

Hi Tommy, so if I am using Chrome or Safari on a PC and view an embedded vimeo video should I see the HTML5 player by default? If the answer is no, can you please explain how to make the HTML5 the default when embedding with a Flash fallback and what devices/browsers get the HTML5 player by default? Clearly, ipad and iphone get the HTML5 player as my testing of the embed code works on those devices and flash just will not run on them. Finally, is vimeo looking at supporting HTML5 playback by default in Firefox and when may this be available. Thanks.

Mark

Mark Staff

somn_vids, yes. That's correct. You'll see the HTML5 player in those browsers. Firefox doesn't support h.264. Until they do, the html5 player won't be compatible with it.

sonm_vids

sonm_vids Plus

Hi Mark, thanks for that. Can you please explain then why a right click in Chrome on a vimeo embedded using an iframe results in a contextual menu that at least to me looks like Flash. One step further, and a look in the DOM reveals a flash object. I can see no HTML5, ie, no video tag? Maybe I am wrong, but, I would be very happy to learn. When vimeo refers to their HTML5 player what do you mean exactly. A player that is compatible with HTML5 browsers and devices or a player that actually uses HTML5 in its codebase? Clearly, the ipad and iphone MUST be delivered something other than that below as I think we all know that Flash does not run on iOS. Please refer to the object tag code below and please try to answer the question, or please, please ask someone at vimeo who does know the answer:

Thanks again!

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

You need to be using the HTML5 player on Vimeo.com to see HTML5 video embedded elsewhere. The iframe-based embed code dynamically switches between HTML5 and Flash depending on your preference on the site.

sonm_vids

sonm_vids Plus

Tommy, I really appreciate you trying to help. Can you please tell me where to go in my vimeo.com account to see the "use HTML5 player" option you seem to be referring to? I am assuming this option must be on, as, from above embedded videos work on ipads and iphones, meaning, as you say the "iframe-based embed code" must be "dynamically" switching to HTML5 for these devices otherwise nothing would show as they do not support Flash. Given that ipads and iphones are delivered HTML5 (ie somewhere in our account the option to use HTML5 in our account has been selected?) this seems to confirm that the vimeo HTML5 player can switch "dynamically" based on device/browser so why does the latest version of Chrome get the Flash version and not HTML5? This is true for Safari as well. Firefox I understand as it has gone with webm over h264 and vimeo must be sniffing the useragent string to ensure that Firefox only ever gets Flash. But the question still remains. Can you please kindly answer by telling me just 1 desktop browser and version that I can use, inspect the DOM on the page and see HTML5 and not a Flash object?

Mark

Mark Staff

The link is directly underneath the video. in Chrome and Safari. It plays the HTML5 version on iOS and Android. If Chrome or Safari doesn't have Flash installed, it will default to the HTML5 player in those browsers.

Mark

Mark Staff

The new version of the hubnut is out, but does not yet support iOS. We hope to have an update soon!

shaiton

shaiton

we could upload webm video (vp8+vorbis), and see them using the HTML5 player with epiphany (WebKit), but not with Firefox (the "switch to [HTML5|Flash] player" link is just not there. Same video works with my mobile phone using the Couch mode under Firefox… Don't get why, and staff member here just told us that it is simply not implemeted… hmm

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Files uploaded to Vimeo are transcoded to MP4.

Our HTML5 player uses MP4, which is not compatible with Firefox (WebM). Your mobile phone is playing back the MP4 version of the file you uploaded.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.