George Lepin

George Lepin

I'm about to buy a HDSLR since I need it for both still shooting and video recording. However, I am planning to do more film-making subsequently. Right now, I'm in two minds. Should I buy the new buzzing Nikon D800 or stick to the good old Canon 5D Mark II/wait for Mark III to be released? Which camera video features and quality are better and why?

Perrone Ford

Perrone Ford

We don't know anything for sure about the 5DMk3. So talking about what we DO know...

The 5D/7D black the screen out once you connect an HDMI device. No bueno. The Nikons do not.

The 5D and 7D have good ISO performance. The D800 will be in another league.

The 5D/7D will have more lens options.

You say you want to shoot stills, but give no mention of what kind. That would GREATLY influence my decision if I were trying to decide on these cameras.

Charlie McDougall

Charlie McDougall

I'm torn over this as well. If you want to do video, you need to be able to monitor audio- preferably through a headphone jack. And you can do this on the 5D Mark II as long as you install Magic Lantern. Canon doesn't seem to be listening but Nikon is. The 7D doesn't have a jack (and no Lantern) and neither does the new 1DX. On the other hand, the Nikon D4 does and so does the D800. Advantage: Nikon.
However, if you're recording sound separately and don't need to mount a mic to your flash hotshoe for run-and-gun shooting, it doesn't matter. Canon-Nikon are both great cameras.

George Lepin

George Lepin

I'm not that bothered about the quality of stills shots. Video is the most important criterion for me right now. The short film shot on D800 looks pretty good but again I'm not an expert. I know that right now Nikon has certain advantages but does its video quality beat 5D?

Adam L. Roy

Adam L. Roy

Could you not experiment with both? They're big purchases, and, assuming you live in a city, couldn't you rent both of them for a day separate from each other, test them out, and then MAYBE come to a conclusion. Don't rely merely on stats, man, it's a HUGE purchase.

I mean, it's expensive to rent, too, relatively, but at least that way you don't accidentally get a camera that, of all things, feels like poo in your hands (superficial aesthetic remarks).

Adam L. Roy

Adam L. Roy

Just a suggestion. I mean, it's probably gonna' be about 150-200 to rent either of those for one day. That's hardly enough time to chill out and experiment, but it's a potential opportunity.

Photographik

Photographik Plus

hmm, I am a nikon shooter and honestly the only thing that made my video feel inferior (aside from my own operation!) was the lack of 60fps for slow motion. With the D800 this issue is solved and a load of awesome features were added. I'd say at this moment go d800 but I am positive the 5D MIII will one up its just of matter of whether you think its worth the wait.

mark tierney

mark tierney Plus

If Canon add clean HDMI and a headphone port to a camera shooting 30MP+ (rumour is 5D3 is 45) then it will win the video war. Much higher installed user base, good cheap lenses (or even PL if you want it), and we all really owe them for the 5D2, which in my case changed me from a pro editor, to a pro shooter/editor. I bought one in 2008 and its been great. It has changed every project I've worked on the last 3 years for the better. That's an incredible thing.
HOWEVER, if it only has on board recording, or less than 30MP, I'll be going back to Nikon. Once you've shot clean out at 100Mbit plus, there's no going back.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.