bobby

bobby

Im building my own computer for the first time and im deciding on what kind of video card to buy. I have no idea what separates one card from the next. The only thing i notice is the onboard memory (512, 1GB etc) My friend is suggesting EVGA GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) 1536MB but hes all about high end everything and i dont want to spend over $200. I was doing my own research and one of the top "budget cards" was a Radeon 6670.

Im probably not going to game at all. I just want watching HD videos on vimeo to be nice and crisp. I will probably also watch a lot of high quality mov avi mp4 mkv 720/1080 files. will the 6670 be enough power for what i will be doing?

bobby

bobby

I got a 700W power supply. I really didnt know what i was doing but my friend told me that 700W would be good.

Oskar Svensson

Oskar Svensson

The best card you can get for $200 is probably GeForce GTX 560TI (You will be needing a 400W+ PSU).

But you dont need a dedicated graphic card if youre only going to watch movies and surf. You could get a AMD Fusion A8-3850 processer which got integrated graphics powerful enough for those needs.

Or if you need a more powerful CPU get a Intel i5-2500k and a z68 motherboard (this will also work without dedicated graphics). And if you feel like you need more GPU power just buy one later.

bobby

bobby

Hello Oskar, heres what i got:

Processor = AMD Fx 8120 Black edition
Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3

So basically youre saying, to watch movies and videos on Vimeo, all i need is onboard video? So a Radeon 6670 would be overkill?

Oskar Svensson

Oskar Svensson

Yes, but I dont think AMD FX got integrated graphics so it doesn't really matter.

Radeon 6670 will do fine for that purpose.

bobby

bobby

I forgot to repeat that i would also be watching 720p 1080p mkv files and possibly bluray movie. does this change your answer?

4Moorhens2

4Moorhens2

I would be inclined to use a modest PCIe graphics card, maybe up to 1GB memory, fan cooled with DVI and HDMI output or use onboard graphics. Keep the saved cash to invest in the best monitor that is within budget.

bobby

bobby

How would you define modest? My friend suggests a $200 card, but i found the Radeon 6670 ($80) on a site that says its a good "budget" card. would you consider that modest? or could i even go lower?

4Moorhens2

4Moorhens2

Personally I prefer Nvidia but I'm sure a "modest" Radeon 6670 will be fine :)

Actually I play 40+Mbps H.264 1920x1080 videos with a 512MB GPU without CUDA and DXVA acceleration where the codec (corecodec - coreavc) and the CPU are the main considerations for smooth, stutter free playback.

bobby

bobby

I saw one Nvidia card on the "good budget card" list. It was the GeForce GT 440 GDDR5, but im pretty sure the Radeon 6670 beats it out.

hey i was looking at your original response and it just came to me that i didnt think about my monitor at all. i was too focused on this video card situation haha. my monitor = HP x2338h. you think i need to upgrade? im clueless about monitors too (refresh rate etc etc).

4Moorhens2

4Moorhens2

A 1920x1200 23" monitor would be nice for 1080p playback with a technical spec that's within your budget, but a 1920x1080 22" would still be OK...

If you do decide to edit with Premiere at a later date then Jason's suggestion of going with a nVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB seems like a great idea :)

Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett

Not what you are asking about, but I opted for a nVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB for under $130 from B&H and if you ever decide to use Adobe Premiere there is a trick that lets you use the Mercury Engine for hardware acceleration.

It’s been working like a charm for me. Look for the DDR5 Ram possibly might be good advice in cards? I ran into that when shopping.

bobby

bobby

Its cool Jason, thanks for your input. I'd say $130 is still in my range haha. I havent used Adobe Premiere yet. Ive only used "entry level" editing software. I actually needed to talk to someone about Adobe Premiere. Do you use it a lot?

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.