Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

just in case any of you are still unaware... we've been testing h264 encoding for quite some time now and moving more and more videos to it as we are fading out flash encoding.

Kerry R. Bailey

Kerry R. Bailey

Now that Flash 9 officially supports playback of H.264 videos, will you guys continue to encode all the videos here in .flv or will you move to H.264 & let the Flash player handle it?

Hulu does this now & I think it looks pretty good compared to encoding into straight up flash. Thoughts?

Aysegul Epengin

Aysegul Epengin

Youtube is now doing this. If you add &fmt=18 at the end of the page URL you get a higher quality 480*360 mp4 w/ stereo rather than the old 320*240 Sorenson Spark mono audio version. (Higher quality that is if your original upload exceeded the Youtube specs - if you uploaded a 320*240 version thus it will remain!)

Be warned, H.264 at 720p takes a LOT more processing power than the older On6VP codec that Vimeo uses.

Furkids

Furkids

Tried adding the &fmt=18 at the end of the URL and the improvement in quality was indeed very noticeable!

4Moorhens2

4Moorhens2

Thanks for the info AD Productions, just played back a couple of vids that I uploaded to Youtube a while back. They were uploaded as DivX 25 fps 704x396 2000 kbps, mp3 and the new MP4 Youtube playback versions are H.264 25 fps 480x270 400 kbps (average), MP4a 44.1 kHz 126 kbps stereo.

Youtube H.264 is definitely equal to, or possibly better than vimeo SD FLASH to the eye and it plays back smoothly off the net even with a 1 mbps connection.

But there is no download link to the orginal file that I could see.

Aysegul Epengin

Aysegul Epengin

Yes, but be careful what you wish for. With Youtube they are catching up with what is capable with 5 year old computers - H.264 at 480*360 res (or less for widescreen)

However should Vimeo switch to h.264 then the HD footage would be unplayable to almost all but those with the very latest and most powerful computers. The requested move from 24fps to 30 fps was been less drastic and hasn't been popular.

Also you can't currently embed the Youtube HQ clips, just as you can't embed Vimeo HD clips.

There is no download link in Youtube, but there are ways of ripping the file with Safari or certain online tools.

4Moorhens2

4Moorhens2

Sorry I missed some of your last post, perhaps you edited it?

Regarding the download link: its not a big problem getting the Youtube H.264 copied but can one download the user's orginal upload file in its native format as is possible here on vimeo?

4Moorhens2

4Moorhens2

Would that be the case with vimeo 512x288 or 512x384 SD vids? At the moment from a 1024x576 PAL MP4 orginal upload the vimeo SD FLASH playback version looks terrible. The same video upscaled to 1280x720 MP4 looks a lot better at 1280x720 1485 kbps (average) vimeo HD FLASH.

I did notice that Youtube gave the option of two playback versions (or something) when using that "&fmt=18" on the URL, also I didn't try to play any 720p uploaded files.

Perhaps it would be good if vimeo offered H.264 on files smaller than 1280x720, i.e. on their current SD standard, or would it be necessary to universally convert all uploads, both SD and HD, to H.264?

Alex Gollner

Alex Gollner

My SD Videos look a little better in YouTube

youtube.com/watch?v=ImyTzI7OSHM&fmt=18

than Vimeo

vimeo.com/850066

...although I admit that bit budget is being spent on slightly smaller pixel dimensions

I'd be happy for people with slower computers to get the current encoded version on Vimeo. I hope those with faster processors will be served better versions soon.

4Moorhens2

4Moorhens2

Your Youtube MP4, 6.37 MB vid streams/plays back beautifully even on a nearly 4 year old laptop with a 1.5 GHz CPU and 1 GB of RAM. Definitely a case for vimeo to consider H.264....

Lucasberg (Joey)

Lucasberg (Joey)

If Vimeo switched to MP4 would my PS3 play it? Right now I can watch youtube on my PS3 but not Vimeo which sucks.

Marty Wichtmann

Marty Wichtmann

1 for the switch to H.264, but i was thinking if it did go that way would vimeo only accept H.264 in an MP4 container or would it also accpet MKV (H.264) without a re-encode ??

Better quality at lower bitrates :) GO H.264 !!!

BlackShark

BlackShark

I've been a big fan of H264 for many years.
Unfortunately, i don't believe vimeo will be ready to make the switch any time soon.
The main problem is the current outrageous cpu useage of browser-embedded players vs. dedicated players.
Flash decoding HD h264 streams will just be too heavy, you'll need quad cores to play them

You can easily decode 720p content on a 3 years old single core machine, given you have the right codecs and the right optimized player (you don't even need any hardware accel).
But in order to achieve this in a web browser, you need to use a dedicated high performance plugin to display the video. (and i mean : NOT flash).
Stage 6 did that, and that's why so many people used it for very high quality HD video : HD just worked.

The vimeo team already told me were not ready to do this, so don't expect to see HD h264 any time soon.
Maybe next year...

Andrew Pile

Andrew Pile Staff

Please don't speak for the staff. We are actively working on this and are testing it as I speak. It won't be a year.

BlackShark

BlackShark

Really ???
so the vimeo team changed it's mind, that's great news !
i can't wait to see it.

Marty Wichtmann

Marty Wichtmann

so does this mean that their 'will not' be native h.264/x264 support ??? with flash or not ?? are you guys keeping it the way it is atm ??

John Hope

John Hope Plus

I love the Vimeo scheme:
flash for everyone and every bandwidth, and mov + wmv download to watch the highest quality possible for those who care.
This is to me the best solution ever.

David Martinez

David Martinez

Just Make H.264 a loadable & down loadable option, it's not about streaming at that point but pure visual quality. those users will have to *wait* for that type of quality playback.

Sylvain Gamel

Sylvain Gamel

Support for h.264 would certainly help Vimeo work on the iPhone...
Am'I wrong?

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

nope, that would do it. We're thinking of having this be a Plus 2.0 feature to start out with.

David Martinez

David Martinez

Thanks Blake for the heads up! One of the first things I did was try and playback some 'vimeo' on my new iPhone, that's when I learned that everything was H.264 / MP4... I'm excited you're looking into it with Plus 2.0!

BTW, I love to think of Vimeo as way ahead of YouTube... your brand is just WAY better.

Trevor Harris

Trevor Harris

Can we have an update from the Vimeo team on native H264 support, and also avoiding transcoding video. I would also like 25fps as well. The BBC Iplayer in the UK is now using H264 as an option. You could modify your player so that people with slow computers could view a VP6 version.

Daniel Hayek

Daniel Hayek Staff

We've got your 25fps in HD now!
30fps HD will happen, just can't say when, we like surprises :)

Murat ATASOY

Murat ATASOY

vimeo should use x264. just try to capture a video with this codec. i capture one
1minute 1280x800 x264 = 2.3 mb

But when vimeo convert my video
the video file turne into about 3.5mb

this is incredible great. If you directly control and load our x264 videos, it will be perfect for vimeo to load video and users to upload video and who spactator to easy loading.

Also is there anyone who know to encode x264 avi to flv but using codec x264 ? or H264 ?
OR is there any way to watch x264 avi files on any flash video player or something like that?

AJ Goldsmith

AJ Goldsmith

Any update to Vimeo supporting native h.264? Working around it for now, but it would be great to get Vimeo on iPhone/Ipod Touch.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

there's no ETA as of yet but it's something we're testing currently.

Kevin Gilbert

Kevin Gilbert

Yes. We desperately need/want the ability to playback Vimeo videos on our iPhone/iPod Touch. Please make this happen.

Orbit Media

Orbit Media

We are developing a mobile version of our site which would include a video portfolio - needs to work on ipods and android!

Callum Taylor

Callum Taylor

Nice nekro everyone... the first post was 1 year ago.

X-traordinaire

X-traordinaire

Yay! I love H.264 because it's efficient: high quality, less space, very low CPU usage compared to FLV!

Andrew Pile

Andrew Pile Staff

Actually h.264 takes up more CPU usage, but you are right about the other benefits.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.