Simon Hutchins

Simon Hutchins

Hello!
I have recently purchased a 5d and I'm looking to use it for short films so would like some ideas for what are the best cheapest lenses to get? I'll be using it indoors and outside, at night and day, in all conditions, any ideas?

Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes

In answer to your question "What are best lenses for the Canon 5D Mark II" well that would depend on what it is your shooting. Its always going to be the L series lens as they are the pro. lens.

16-35 2.8L, 17-40F4L, 24-105 F4L, 70-200 2.8 L IS, 50MM 1.2L

Put 1 or more of these in your bag to start but expect to pay a lot more than £200 more like £500-£2000 each but you get what you pay for and my God these are quality and will/should last you a lifetime

Maarten Toner

Maarten Toner PRO

The 24-70 L is one of the most versatile, its a 2.8 lens, so pretty fast, you can go for the 24-105 , it is a stop+ slower.

For video you can use old nikon lenses with a cheap $7 adapter, no auto exposure or focus but you get great quality for around $90

The other sort of must have is the 50mm F1.4 if you like good price.

Offcourse I'm thinking video, i use Nikons with de-clicked apertures. All L lenses are cool but that depends on your budget. A 50mm is a lens you can use for anything, it gives the most natural image.

the pictures are alive

the pictures are alive

Not sure where you are located. I've rented lenses from rental houses before. Cheap and you get access to the best stuff. If you're in the states I use lensprotogo dot com.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.