Connie Markowicz

Connie Markowicz

Hello Smart Users-
I am about to buy my first super camera. I am planning on the Lumix GH2 by Panasonic as it does not seem to suffer from overheating during video recording and shutoff to protect itself (as many other SLRs with video seem to do). It is available with the 14-42 lens for $749 or the 14-140 lens for $1198. Which would you recommend as the better all around. Also, would I be happy with the G3 instead as long as I use an external mic for video?

Dave Baker

Dave Baker

The GH2 is not an SLR, it's a bridge camera. It doesn't have to contend with holding the mirror up for long periods like a true SLR does, it doesn't have one, so it generates less heat.. No doubt there are other reasons too.

If you are only having one lens then the 14-140 will be most useful.

You will need an external mike to improve the audio no matter what camera you buy.

Judi Cohee

Judi Cohee

I was wondering the same thing. I opted for the $749.00 from Adroama because I wanted 30 days to return it if I didn't like it. Luckily, I am a review reader and Amazon won't return the camera if you have opened it. How can you know if you like it or not unless you try it? Unfortunately Adorama no longer offers it with the 14-140 lens. I just received it yesterday so I am just getting use to it.

Because I did Pay Pal(with 6 months to pay) I was able to also get the Sennheiser EW112PG3-G SK100 G3 Wireless mic's as well, but was wondering what lenses to beigin with. I have not heard anything good about the Lumex lenses?

Connie Markowicz

Connie Markowicz

Judi- Do you mean you've heard negative comments regarding the Lumix lenses? I am afraid to buy another brand and get the wrong thing. I saw that image stabilization is in the lens on the GH2 and don't know if that means you can get that with other brands or not.

Judi Cohee

Judi Cohee

Yes, I have not heard anything good about the Lumix lenses. I have done a LOT of research before making this investment. Metabones put out an adaptor that will allow you to use other lenses but they are all sold out because it is a new in demand product. I just want to know what other lenses to get to start out with. However, I think I WILL get the pancake lens that Lumix sells to work fully with my camera.

Fran Guidry

Fran Guidry

Try DVXuser.com for lots of info on the GH2. Plenty of people are very happy with the 20mm and 25mm Lumix prime lenses. They are very fast and sharp. The kit 14-140 is fine as well for a low cost zoom. All these lenses provide silent autofocus and with the GH2 you can pull focus using the touchscreen.

Audio should be recorded on a separate system, one without compession, limiting, autolevel, or frequency response limits. Use camera audio for sync only.

Taurus Nyy

Taurus Nyy

I was ery impressed recently reading that this camera offers the pull focus on the touchscreen- I am considering this camera- do not want to take you off topic- but before your purchase did you consider the 60D? if so what made you choose otherways? I am considering both which is why I ask.

Fran Guidry

Fran Guidry

Shot length limit turns me off the Canon options. The GH2 will shoot until the card is full or the battery runs out, while the Canons are limited by various issues. Also silent autofocus and articulated sensor.

Fran

Cormac Bluestone

Cormac Bluestone Plus

I thought I'd pitch in on this topic too. I use the gh2 and love it as well as the lenses. Every day there are more micro 43 lenses for the gh2 (I just got the Olympus M.Zuiko 45 mm - F/1.8 - it's beautiful).

If you have reservations and are thinking of going Canon (because they are the industry standard), save yourself some money and get the t3i rather than a 60d. If you're getting it for video, there's not a lot of difference between a t3i and 60d (or even the 5dmkii for that matter). With a t3i, you'll have a whole bevy of options for lenses and you'll have save yourself $200+ out of the gate (although, that money should go to some sound gear like an H4n, decent mic and sescom cable-vimeo.com/37340592).

Personally, I love my gh2 - it has lots of options and shoots beautifully. Make sure that the software you're using can import or edit avchd!

Dave Baker

Dave Baker

No, no, no. Sorry Cormac, but I have to disagree about the 600D/T3i. It is dependent on what you want to do with your camera, but I researched this a while ago and found the 600D wanting. Both the 550D/T3i and the 60D are better for movies than the 600D.

shawn wytch

shawn wytch

also u need a monitor the screens on this camera suck flat out. ive seen better screens on $30 dollar cameras. not joking. i know alot of people talk about there 20mm pancake. id look into that. i have a gh2 but i only got the 14-44 and i just use alot of adaptors to the lenses i have. a monitor is a must.

shawn wytch

shawn wytch

i got a lilliput monitor it was like 150

dave patterson

dave patterson PRO

FWIW, I have a GH2 with the 14-140mm kit lens (great, all purpose lens in good outdoor light), the Lumix 14mm and 20mm pancake lenses (dig 'em both), Canon 50mm and 28mm lenses with cheap adapter (decent optics for very short money, but can only be used manually). If you want to get into the GH2 cheaply, and can deal with shooting manually, buy the GH2 without a lens and purchase some legacy lenses. My Canon lenses cost $20 to $40, and the adapter was around $25. If you want auto features and will be shooting in good light, the 14-140mm is a very good lens. If you need to shoot in low light, the 20mm is a great lens. I haven't read any glowing reviews about the 14-42mm kit lens, but it does cost less, and is more portable than the 14-140mm lens.

Lenses obviously have a big impact on your investment, and you may not know WHICH lenses you prefer until you spend some time working with them. If you live near a camera shop that can rent lenses (and adapters if needed), this may be the cheapest way to discover the right lenses for your needs. Alternately, used Canon and Nikon lenses are a relatively cheap way to experiment with lenses.

shawn wytch

shawn wytch

i didnt get the 14-140 so cant talk about it. but theres some good cheap lenses out there

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.