Andrea Allen

Andrea Allen PRO

Hi there, please keep the following in mind when posting to this thread.

• Be specific with your feedback. Explain the features you'd like to see. Explain in detail how you're using the site and how you'd like to see it work differently. This helps us help you!

• Please be constructive and respectful.

The Internet is a wonderful place, but we have all noticed that it can also provide people with the means to insult and harass others without taking the full responsibility for their words. A community that allows that type of behavior will quickly decay, so we insist that while you are on Vimeo you respect the people you encounter and their videos. You are free to disagree, but you are not free to attack people simply for your amusement. If you wouldn't say it to someone's face, don't say it on Vimeo. If you cannot conduct yourself in a respectful manner, you will be removed.

Juan Vallejo

Juan Vallejo Plus

Miss the old Vimeo. My impression so far is new Vimeo site promotes Vimeo and does not take into consideration users' needs. Not happy.

Devin

Devin Plus

I would really be upset if I payed for a service that got switched up on me, that is unethical on vimeo's end in my opinion. This new layout is cluttered and confusing and lacks the convenience and user friendliness of the old layout.

A feature I am requesting is that when you open a video to watch the video statistics are readily available to see rather than having a button you need to press and waiting for the stats to load.

Stephen Hutchinson

Stephen Hutchinson Plus

So much is missing from the old Vimeo. What happened to the share with Flickr? Now I can share my video with only 50 contacts? There's so much more I don't want to even look at. I wish we could have the old interface back. As others have pointed out, the new interface is cluttered and not very well thought out. I'm seriously considering other alternatives.

disdanceproject

disdanceproject Plus

I don't agree with your opinion, the original thread where not be conducted in a respectful manner.

On the one hand a button, named "I hate changes" does not show respect for vimeo itself resp. the people, who dont like the new design. People who want click this button feel like outlaws, who are not modern or not hip enough or too conservative for the new vimeo. On the other hand you want in this feature request thread detailed meanings. These both things are very different.

In the last thread there were the major opininion a critical one and everyone, who followed this thread could see how the staff reacted...

Why you can't get general criticism about a general change? Why you don't notice, that a new design, which needs extra.tutorials to make it usable, is not a reason for praise and thanks?

We don't know the thousands of praises the staff is citing all the time. We only see the obvious mood in the open readable community-platforms and thats why its hard to believe, that so many people would love the new vimeo-design.

It seems the staff is not able to get and to work with hard -but not scathing- criticism.
Not generally but often.

I write this not personally for me. I write it as an observer and longtime multi-user, who can live and adjust with every change.

Thank You. And sorry for my english-mistakes.
André

Andrea Allen

Andrea Allen PRO

Sorry Andre, but when references to nazism, accusations of corporate greed, and saying that our efforts in the forums are fake PR speak comes up more than actual feature requests, the thread is unproductive.

You were a wonderful exception to all of this. You were specific about the throttlers on replacing videos, multi-uploads and the save changes request. You did a great job and we really appreciate it!

Thanks for taking the time to reply. And again thanks for that initial feature request in the other forum thread!

If you have more, please post them.

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

André makes a great point.
The general disappointment with new vimeo was very clear and the specific complaints contributed to the general discontent. If you track the evolution of most people's dismay and the heightening of their language, it was as a result of "fobbing off" type responses to both the general discontent about the changes and the specific ones about individual features that really were not well answered. The tone of the staff whether overtly or in subtext was well represented by the choice of the unfortunate "I hate change" option, which some might consider at least a little manipulative. It is now happily toned down to a simple and more respectful "no thanks" though I would have liked a more specific choice, say, "I prefer the old version".

If you go back to the old forum, you will find that two specific regrets came up regularly screen size and stats:

screen size:
- People seem to find the new big screen NOT useful for quite a number of different reasons. I raised the point several times that the smaller screen was better and if a viewer wanted to sit back with a big screen it was as simple as clicking the 'full screen' icon, just like before and like on YouTube, Dailymotion and pretty much every other viewer. So I believe that this change was a significant disimprovement.
- the older smaller screen also afforded the possibility of having a more complete dashboard of possibilities, for example, at a glance, seeing other work available by the same video-maker, and being able to read the (full) text below the video, which was another very useful feature (now gone or seriously diminished) for certain videos that had a high information aim and where the text could complete the video content in a useful way (without the viewer having to stop or make menu choices while watching).

The general point about this specific (individual video) page is that it is like dashboard and most people like to have a certain optimal amounts of controls visible when they are in 'drive' mode and to feel like they are the driver rather than being driven. When I want to be driven, I go to the movies or watch TV.

stats:
- Another change that is often specifically regretted is the (new) absence of viewing stats on the individual video page itself. Vimeo is like having your own private TV channel. Seeing your stats easily is useful and is a motivator to find new viewers. The old way was fine or could have been even more present, with a possible 'expand stats' option on clicking. It would only encourage members to market and promote their videos and their channel.

These are but two very specific complaints that have not to my knowledge been specifically responded to other than with a "we are looking at it".

rank amateur

rank amateur Plus

Thank you - you have perfectly summed up the 2 critical problems with the new Vimeo design - screen size and lack of stats. Absolutely - a backwards move. I would really like to see a direct response from this from Andrea Allen or whoever is moderating this from Vimeo.

rank amateur

rank amateur Plus

Can I also add the pink plastering of 'private' over private videos is dreadful - and in particular the little corner triangle. Why? For who is this for? I know it's private! And if I've shared it with someone, they've also been sent a password so - wow! - they know it's private too! What is the new, improved thinking behind this feature? Terribly, terribly naff. It does not impress people I send to.

The Film Artist

The Film Artist PRO

Hi Andrea,

I would like to provide a little feedback and then some feature requests..

Firstly, I do not think this is about change and the communities ability to accept it but about heuristics, the look and feel and useability. The old Vimeo is basically simple and easy to use and interact with other people. The idea and notion of a new 'Vimeo' is a very exciting thing and the technology on the back end is very impressive and has improved with the new Vimeo. Alot of money, research and hard work has been invested in it with a long term plan in mind, it's a polished product and for many of us free to use. The Vimeo Apps for the iPad and iPhone are awesome, the video quality especially on the iPad is revolutionary. There are many superb things in the new Vimeo such as the 'couch mode', upload feature where you can upload more than one video at a time and it is alot easier to watch videos. That's sometimes a problem as there are too many videos to watch and so we need those stats giving us at least an idea if the film is worth watching. So maybe a gold star appears next to the like button indicating it has over 500 likes, or over 10k views etc. So in adition to likes we could have little badges that we earn aswell.

I believe the look and feel can be resolved and would love to see a settings feature to allow you to adjust your view when you login, this may even have the 'classic look' as an option etc. Basically a Vimeo with different 'skins' like winamp for instance, wouldn't it be cool if we could all design our skins and share aswell. I think this would solve alot of problems and take Vimeo to a new platform.

The Toolbar needs some addressing and sometimes I even find it difficult to log off for example, so I would like to see a log off icon, a new message icon etc. It would be great to have your 3 favourite channels and groups appear on the toolbar aswell so you can access your channels and groups easily at the touch of one click.

Social Interaction - I have found it sometimes difficult to engage with other users on the new Vimeo and encourage you to look at more innovative ways of improving this. Can we have a search on people with the highest number of followers for example. The look and feel of channels seems alot more clinical, again maybe 'skins' for channels or need for more options. We need to be able to see the last few comments on the channel aswell. I welcome the ability to look at profiles of the moderators.

In summary:

1. In additions to Likes, Badges or stars to reflect virality of videos, amount of social engagement through comments etc.

2. Customisable Skins for Look and Feel

3. Icons on Toolbar, for new messages, logging out and your chosen channels and groups

Best wishes TFA :)

Andrea Allen

Andrea Allen PRO

Hi, Great ideas here! First let me say I'm so into the badge idea for community involvement and achievements. We have some ideas in the works for this. I can't wait to tell you more about it when it's closer to being ready!

The log out function does have an icon -- it's located under the Me dropdown in the nav bar. Do you have a feeling it should be somewhere else? The favorite Groups and Channels idea is pretty cool. I can't speak for the design team, but having a customizable quick-links section up in the navigation bar might be pretty awesome. I'll see what they say about that.

I'll run the skins idea by our design team, but I don't expect this to happen. As far as I can remember the only customization that Vimeo has ever really allowed is what you find in Groups, Channels, and Portfolios if you're PRO. There may be a way to do what you're asking in the future, but for now I just don't really see it as a possibility. Sorry. :(

Thanks again for your feedback and ideas. Keep 'em coming!

The Film Artist

The Film Artist PRO

Thanks Andrea, can't wait to see what you have planned with regards to the badges idea. I think the dropdown nav bar needs some work, you can get lost and something as simple as logging off or even finding the Vimeo HD channel can be a challenge. I would love to see some icons there. I understand about the skins maybe consider it for the Apps or a standalone player in the future. :)

The Film Artist

The Film Artist PRO

Not sure if anybody has noticed or whether it was there before but you can no see the top URL embeds in the stats for other users videos and not just your own. That's a brilliant move and will encourage websites, blogs etc to embed more of our videos!

Artiste

Artiste

Numerous people have requested the normal video dimensions to be restored, pointing out the the screen is oversized to the point of distorting the image.

Why then is the video size still too big? Spell it out. Why did it happen in the first place, and why do you not acknowledge that it is oversized?

Andrea Allen

Andrea Allen PRO

Hello bugsex, I spoke with the design team about they said it is something we will consider. Sorry I can't give you a more definite answer at this time.

Andrea Allen

Andrea Allen PRO

Hey bugsex, I'm back! Can you give me a few links to videos you are seeing that are blown out and showing in the wrong dimensions? Thanks!

Artiste

Artiste

I think every video is too big, and others have complained about their video quality being compromised (which I have noticed, but am not making a list of). By the way, why doesn't your staff picks channel display the oversized screen if you like it so much? The channel size is best for the standard view. I almost never watch videos in a larger size, it's like sitting in the front row in a movie theater vs the back. Big difference there, and you should let people choose to go bigger (or add an option for going smaller, at least).

Nick Michalak

Nick Michalak Plus

The problem with upscaling the player size to 720p is that I don't own an HD camcorder, and so, all but two videos of mine are only ever going to be in standard definition 480p. Anyone without a Vimeo Plus account uploading SD videos gets them down converted to 360p (which many of my videos still are). So, with this new 720p player presentation it severely compromises the viewing quality of my videos when watched on Vimeo. They were never meant to be seen in HD resolutions, and there should be an option to change the player size. YouTube has had this option for a long while now. I don't see why Vimeo can't accommodate the same function.

-NJM

Patriot

Patriot PRO

even my HD videos don't look or play as nice in the upsized windows.

ADW

ADW Plus

Hi Andrea,

I use Vimeo to explore the artistic film making world, to understand techniques, styles, equipment etc, and I enjoy the site a lot, but some of the recent changes concern me as if they remain "as is" my user experience is going to be negatively changed if not ruined.

I like to have maximum control over the content of my feed. I use a two list system, my likes are what I want to keep a record of forever, and the feed contains the video's I know from experience come from places where video's that interest me come from. Once I have made an interested/not interested decision I really want to be able to remove that video from my feed. That way I maintain a list of video's I want to see and are waiting for me when I have time to watch them.

The current feed set up has me trolling through a whole bunch of video's I've all ready seen/marked as not interested. This is frustrating. For me everything I haven't removed from the feed is my automatic watch later list. I don't think I have ever used the official watch later or couch mode functions. Often I am multi-tasking and surfing multiple sites as I use Vimeo so couch mode doesn't help. Also two lists are enough, keeping a watch later list isn't necessary for me personally, it's basically just more work for nothing back.

If you could bring back the feed control I had before I would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise I still love the site,

thanks,

ADW.

Visionlux

Visionlux Plus

Hey Andrea,
Looks like the thread about the old vimeo has been scrubbed from the site and my question along with it.

So how's that discussion about fixing Vimeo so that it doesn't shoehorn non standard frame sizes into one standard frame size going?
For reference..
"The pillarboxing of vertical videos in the new Vimeo is something we are currently looking in to and discussing."

Josh Clarke

Josh Clarke

It would be cool if the videos on my Watch Later list were automatically removed after I watch them completely. Sometimes I forget to click the "remove" button.

AleG

AleG

The More Videos browser is a disaster, IMHO. Here's the feedback I left on the locked thread:

-It reduces exposure to other videos to the casual visitor. Not everyone will notice the More Videos Tab, or have enough interest to open it if there isn't an eye catching thumbnail or video name next to the video frame.

-It's intrusive, it jerks down the page so you either watch the video list or the video playing back, the side video browser allow to take quick peeks to the other content. For example I like to quickly see other videos while the one on the player buffers, no need to scroll up and down the page with the side list.

-It's not ergonomic, to move back and forth in the list the arrows are on opposite sides of the screen, so you have to move the pointer from one side to the other as you navigate.

-There is no way of knowing how many videos are in the list, the side video browser displays video numbers in the list, also the scroll bar allows to quickly move to the start or the end of the list... talking about scroll bar...

-No scroll bar, besides being more convenient and faster for navigation, it's easier to find things in the list, with the one click per page approach you have to memorize how many clicks one way or another from were you started that video you were kind of interested on watching was. With the new video browser you can get easily lost if there are many videos.
In your example it displays 7 thumbnails, the vimeo staff video list (I'm using the Old Vimeo now) tells me there are 38 videos in the list, that makes for 5 and a half "pages" to navigate through, so instead of simply dragging a scroll bar one needs to press the arrow button 5 times to move from the end of the list to the start and vice versa. A scroll bar is much better IMHO.

-If you need to make a video tutorial on how to use the video list viewer then it's not so intuitive, is it? ;)

-It looks too much like a Youtube playlist, sorry, I had to say it.

-It doesn't close after pulling it down, it simply moves the page down a bit, so for example after using the video list, if I read some comments under the video, I can't simply scroll the page all the way up (or hit the home key) to have the video frame centered on the screen, I have to go all the way to the top, and then move down a little.

Justin Dickinson

Justin Dickinson Staff

Hi AleG, thanks for taking the time to elaborate on your concerns. This probably isn't as big a response as you want, and I'm not saying I won't be back with more good news but one thing you said did jump out to me.

We have added keyboard shortcuts for many common actions in the New Vimeo. For example, in your feed you can use J and K to move between videos. When you're in the video browser it would be very useful to use the arrow keys to go between "pages" of thumbnails. Let me check with the devs to see if this is possible, I think it'd help a lot in navigating through thumbs. Thanks for bringing it up!

AleG

AleG

Thank you, Justin, for the reply.
The keyboard shortcuts are OK, but few people are going to figure them out, and as I said, if you need a manual for a simple UI then something is wrong with it.

However I'm afraid that the big problem is not going to be sorted out by this shortcuts. I think the new "More Videos" feature is fundamentally flawed, you are hiding the user's videos and thus reducing exposure. That's anathema to what Vimeo should be IMHO.
Please bear with me when I highlight that because this is a rather long post:

REDUCING EXPOSURE TO A USER'S OTHER VIDEOS IS ANATHEMA TO WHAT VIMEO SHOULD BE.

I only make videos for fun and to share with friends, later on I'll probably become more "pro" so, personally, I don't mind a reduced exposure to my work (for the moment); but I can understand professionals simmering at this move.

For what is worth I noticed that my "incidental" views have dropped to nearly zero since the new Vimeo has been rolled out. Before every time I shared a video in another website, the views for other videos, specially the two next to the linked video in the old video viewer list, would increase notoriously; obviously people saw the linked at video and then were drawn to watch the others displayed next to it.
Now, as I said this behaviour seems to have stopped.

jonasnormann

jonasnormann Plus

Hi staff..
I'm a plus member and I just changed to the new Vimeo which is cool. But where did all the views go?
One of the main reasons that I'm using vimeo is for statistics and to check how many views my videos get and others as well. One of my videos has 80K views and I think it would be very disappointing if they are gone!

But I finally figured it out. I have to click stats to see it. I think it's a bad idea that the view counts is not stationary and easy to find on the site - like on youtube. It's very essential when people check out videos to see if it's been seen by one or one million..

I really hope you will let people see the counts without having to figure out where to click.

Please let me know what's going on and why you changed this feature? It makes no sense.

Cheers Jonas

Andrea Allen

Andrea Allen PRO

Hi Jonas, We're looking at different possibilities for the stats tab behavior that will hopefully be a good compromise for people who are very interested in stats -- me being one of them!

Irani Friend

Irani Friend

Andrea -

Please do not delete my respectfully, politely offered and worded comments and requests. I reinforced Jonas's comment above, relating that this same feature request has been asked for and posted by more than a few over the past month - I'm glad you are interested in stats - I hope you are also interested in feature requests that conform to the forum guidelines...

Thank you.

jonasnormann

jonasnormann Plus

I think it's the most ridiculous thing to do if we can't check out the view counts anymore..
PLEASE change it or I will seriously conscider to use youtube for my videos.
I think it's such an important feature for internet videos to have!!

Kevin Sweeney

Kevin Sweeney Staff

Hi sidewalktalk, The pane should be opening automatically for your videos now. If they aren't, click the stats button (we now cookie this preference) and they should appear the next time you load one of your videos.

Jon Bryant

Jon Bryant Plus

Hi,

I love Vimeo. But I prefer the old Vimeo.

To make me switch to the new one I'd like the navigation cleaned up and simplified. For me the new format is too busy. Some of the right hand navigation is repeated from the top navigation and to me feels redundant and adds to the page feeling cluttered.
There is a lot in my feed which is distracting to the eye. "internautes" have short attention spans as far as online video is concerned. Anything that distracts from viewers hitting the play button I think is an issue. I hit 'play' more in the old version than the new because the look/feel draws me in to focus on video first then the description. The new version feels like my senses are overloaded with information and that distracts me from the experience of hitting the 'play' button and engaging in the video.
Sorry if my comments are subjective, I hope they aren't perceived as negative. Much of Vimeo to me is about the experience of the content and community not just the content and community themselves. Hope that makes sense?

Cheers Jon

Intense Tobac

Intense Tobac

I ALSO WANT THE OLD DESIGN BACK!!! AT LEAST I WANT TO CHOOSE IT BY MYSELF!!
Cheers Chris

Ahmed

Ahmed

Agree to Jon. I love Vimeo but I don´t like the new design

erich meyer

erich meyer

The New Viemo has some really nice things going for it, it seems smoother and faster and navigation is not that difficult considering it is like taking a new path. There are a few things I really miss from the "Old Viemo"

One, in the old, when you viewed the videos in Thumbnail, you were given info such as length and such, and you could preview the video as a thumbnail. This was graet for i would have a page of 6 to 8 videos and I could take a quick look at them to decide which one I wanted to see in all of it's glory. N

Now I have to select the video, start to watch it, and when done, click the back button to get back to the list and select another and do the process all over again. By being able to preview in thumbnail form, I was able to get a better gist of the videos, and then goto the ones that interested me and enjoy.

The second thing has to do with viewing videos in groups. The problem now is similar to above.. In the old, you could watch the group video and have a scrolling list of other videos in the group, so after viewing the video, I could select another video to view without changing pages. And the scroll list would add more selections as I searched the list, so technically, i could view the latest video, and then scroll all the way to the first video of the group.

In the New Viemo, I select a video from the group list, view it, when done click on the BACK button, select another, view, click on the BACK button, click on the NEXT PAGE button, select, view, click on the BACK button. It gets quite annoying, especially if you have to go through a few hundred pages of videos.

Now one feature that is in the New (not sure if was also in the old) is some of the font coloring used at times. One is in the Group forums when Viemo Staff reply. For example from the 1 Minute: a Vimeo Project : 1 Minute: a Vimeo Project

Blake Whitman's reply is very hard to read. Most of us are no longer 18 anymore. It is also hard to read the text when adding the Basic Info on videos I have uploaded where in the Old Viemo, it is very easy to read.

All text needs to be sharp and have contrast with it's background. If the background is bright, the text needs to be dark. If the background is dark, the text needs to be bright. Putting grey or light grey on bright just causes eye strain. It should be black or dark grey on a bright background.

Similar colors & tones, with fuzzy soft edges just don't cut it.

And one last thing. When i switch over to use the New Viemo, I get this message:
Tell us what you think

Send us your thoughts on the new Vimeo by clicking “Give Us Feedback” at the bottom of any page.

Well, I have yet to find the "Give Us Feedback" on any page, which is why I am here.

keith

keith Plus

Hey guys,

Here are my thoughts as a vimeo user for 6 years. I remember 'old old' vimeo!

More Videos top bar:
My feeling is that most users won't click through to a 'next' video with this step. I've enjoyed a lot of "runoff" from my other videos because of the sidebar displaying the thumbnails. This has been something that youtube has lacked since they're 'recommended' videos are not even from the same user most of the time. Vimeo users might catch on and enjoy the top bar but non-members will never bother.

Description truncate (...)
I am torn about this one. In order to keep the layout of a page consistent this is somewhat necessary. Youtube has been doing this for quite sometime but as you can tell from a lot of comments on youtube a lot of people continuously ask questions that are addressed below the 'fold'. The current "..." needs to be more explicit - "Click for more", "Click to expand", etc. Of course this is a problem for other languages I suppose?

Stats:
Everyone loves to see stats without an additional click. I'm guessing this new layout is to optimize the page load time. Why not at least just display the current total at last?

Video Player Size:
Bigger isn't always better. Most user's videos are going to look worse with the new default size. My older videos are going to look terrible since they were shot long before HD.

MayorSapsea

MayorSapsea

I have to echo the majority of these comments. I understand the need for change and evolution in online media (and in any business); however, I cannot get behind the big changes that have come with the new Vimeo. A lot of them are simply counter-intuitive to the platform that Vimeo originally built itself on.

Most glaring: The now-hidden, slow-lagging 'Stats' tab is one of the most egregious changes. Stats are vitally important not only to all content creators here but also to a good portion of their audience. How in the world did the old version of 'stats' slow down overall page loading?? If anything, this new hidden 'Stats' tab is the real thing that has slowed down page-load times. Both in Firefox and Safari, I've had to refresh many videos repeatedly because if you click the Stats tab before the video and other page content loads, the Stats tab essentially freezes and doesn't expand at all. Stats needs to be overhauled in a major way. Whether or not you go back to the old version doesn't matter - but a video's basic statistics need to be fully visible as they were before.

My second biggest issue with the new Vimeo is that the scrollable playlist of the user's other videos on the right side of the video player is gone. Instead, we're left with a ridiculous, style-over-function, 'More videos' tab at the top of the page that 3/4 of civilian traffic won't even notice, let alone click on. Traffic to my other videos has more or less stopped cold because most people have no sweet clue where to look for my other videos.

Why abolish the easy, intuitive, scrollable playlist and replace it with a half-baked YouTube-esque horizontal scroll? I feel like I now need to put direct links to my other Vimeo videos in the description so people actually know they exist. (Note: the account I'm posting from isn't the primary account I'm speaking of)

I feel this is a classic case of style over function (at least at this point in the New Vimeo's development). Content creators have always chosen and PAID (!) for Vimeo because it didn't change the interface or functions simply for the sake of change. I hope the powers that be take all these concerns very seriously. This isn't quite the same as kicking and screaming about the new Facebook timeline -- Facebook is personal while Vimeo has always prided itself on being a tool for the professional. Please, let's keep it that way!

erich meyer

erich meyer

A feature I would like to see, is when view users in a Group, you can see the list of videos that they have posted to the group. Right now, you see all theirs videos they have done. Now way to easily see just the videos posted to the group.

Visionlux

Visionlux Plus

Hey Andrea,
Any word on the pillarboxing of non-standard aspect ratio videos?
vimeo.com/35988721
Do these guys know yet that the new vimeo is going to destroy their amazing work by stripping it of HD clarity and cramming it into a frame that doesn't fit?

David Finkelstein

David Finkelstein Plus

Hello,

Many people have addressed the issue of SD video and non-standard sized videos, and the fact that these videos look really bad in the new, huge player. I wrote about this in a different thread, and Staff member Emily Garrett said that I should have posted it here, so I am re-posting it:

I'm afraid I don't understand the "one size fits all" mindset of your new design. I feel it is contrary to the spirit of the internet, to the spirit of social media, and especially to the spirit of digital media, all of which revel in flexibility and diversity.

What would be the reason for forcing videos of various sizes and shapes into one size, where most of them look quite bad?

Here is an example of my SD video which doesn't look good at the huge size:

vimeo.com/41609759

Thank you.

Kasra Design

Kasra Design Plus

Hello,

Youtube, as another video sharing website with way more users is asking : Do you want to use the new design or you prefer to use the old uploader. It is polite and respectful. Here is my question, why such a thing does not exist on Vimeo? I'm a free user on Youtube and they respect me by asking whether I would like to use their new design or not, but why Vimeo wouldn't ? (not to mention I'm a Plus user here).

Please consider it, a new feature request.

Thank you.

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

I'm duplicating a response I made above already with the suggestion that if someone comments on or responds to a contribution here that it should carry the contribution and responses to the most recent spot here in the forum thread. This will be good for the idea of continuity in discussing points and to avoid a fresh comment getting "lost" in last weeks chronology...

I'm repeating this comment because I'd like some feedback especially as I see these points raised often here...

Seamas McSwiney 2 days ago Delete / Edit

André / disdanceproject makes a great point.
The general disappointment with new vimeo was very clear and the specific complaints contributed to the general discontent. If you track the evolution of most people's dismay and the heightening of their language, it was as a result of "fobbing off" type responses to both the general discontent about the changes and the specific ones about individual features that really were not well answered. The tone of the staff whether overtly or in subtext was well represented by the choice of the unfortunate "I hate change" option, which some might consider at least a little manipulative. It is now happily toned down to a simple and more respectful "no thanks" though I would have liked a more specific choice, say, "I prefer the old version".

If you go back to the old forum, you will find that two specific regrets came up regularly screen size and stats:

screen size:
- People seem to find the new big screen NOT useful for quite a number of different reasons. I raised the point several times that the smaller screen was better and if a viewer wanted to sit back with a big screen it was as simple as clicking the 'full screen' icon, just like before and like on YouTube, Dailymotion and pretty much every other viewer. So I believe that this change was a significant disimprovement.
- the older smaller screen also afforded the possibility of having a more complete dashboard of possibilities, for example, at a glance, seeing other work available by the same video-maker, and being able to read the (full) text below the video, which was another very useful feature (now gone or seriously diminished) for certain videos that had a high information aim and where the text could complete the video content in a useful way (without the viewer having to stop or make menu choices while watching).

The general point about this specific (individual video) page is that it is like dashboard and most people like to have a certain optimal amounts of controls visible when they are in 'drive' mode and to feel like they are the driver rather than being driven. When I want to be driven, I go to the movies or watch TV.

stats:
- Another change that is often specifically regretted is the (new) absence of viewing stats on the individual video page itself. Vimeo is like having your own private TV channel. Seeing your stats easily is useful and is a motivator to find new viewers. The old way was fine or could have been even more present, with a possible 'expand stats' option on clicking. It would only encourage members to market and promote their videos and their channel.

These are but two very specific complaints that have not to my knowledge been specifically responded to other than with a "we are looking at it".

City of Knowledge Islamic Center

City of Knowledge Islamic Center

I need more than the 5 gig/week upload limit, but don't need all the bells and whistles of a pro account. Can I just purchase more memo?

thanks

sumoman

sumoman

I suspect vimeo came up with the idea of getting a new design because businesses at regular intervals implement the notion that new is better. Thus they told the design team to get designing.

The designers came up with the notion that massive thumbnails and massive videos were the cool thing. Everybody realised that this wasn't the case but vimeo having told the designers to come up with the new design couldn't turn round and say to the designers (who are vimeo) that this was not a good thing.

Therefore a collective denial of the massive thumbnails and massive videos took over, whereby everybody agreed that the massive thumbnails and massive videos were bigger but were not a problem and indeed that everybody actually liked them.

Memos were then sent out to everyone saying that the new design was a resounding success and that only a few people who resented changed disagreed.

Meanwhile the forums bubbled with horror at the new massive design whilst vimeo responded that only a few videos were massive and that they were 'looking into it' and that really everybody was very happy.

See That Again Video

See That Again Video Plus

Probably true. Old Vimeo was everything I needed. I can't stand the new vimeo. It kinda reminds me of Netflix..they did not ask their customers what they wanted and just changed everything. I am no longer a Netflix customer.

Bryan Talkish

Bryan Talkish Plus

I much rather prefer the original player size over the 'new' enlarged player size. It used to feel much more comfortable to watch videos on vimeo. I read a good comparison in these forums, that now, with the new over-sized player, it's like sitting in the front row of a movie theater - your uncomfortable, your eyes hurt, you see every flaw and pixel rather than taking in the video as a whole, and it doesn't seem to play nice with browser size, unless it's maximized.

I hope to see this fixed soon, as I am a paying member and a dedicated motion graphics artist who needs a good place to host his work. I hope to hear from you soon.

Best.
Bryan

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

Yes to the previous contributions regarding player size.
And, I apologise for repeating this but: with the old small screen version, if you wanted a bigger picture, all you had to do was click the full screen icon and bingo : a big screen and then escape to revert back to the small screen, at will. Choice. We've lost that simple choice.
Another useful aspect of the smaller screen was the possibility of have ample text below the viewer, useful for some videos communication purpose.
another reminder, if you want to compare or if you don't like the new Vimeo, click here to revert to the old good version: vimeo.com/beta/opt_out

Jo Ellsmere

Jo Ellsmere Plus

I would add my voice to complaints about the new stats. The old stats configuration was easy to use; easy to read. New stats: not so much. Why change something that works simply for the sake of change?

My other 'new feature' request is for the ability to block specific people from following or subscribing. This would not prevent anyone from viewing public video, which is fine, but there are many reasons (personal and professional) why we might not wish our names to be publicly associated with a specific person or group and why we should have that capability without having to confront anyone in any way (privately or through Vimeo staff). Just a simple click and problem solved.

Ernest Worthing

Ernest Worthing

There are many new useful features in the new vimeo but i also prefer the old one. The main reason being its organization. The old vimeo is simple and each of its aspects is organized in a neat manner in its own little "box."

This helps viewers stay focused and they can easily navigate each area.

The new vimeo's presentation is quite cluttered and the eye does not know where to go.
Behind the scenes, the new vimeo is better but the presentation of the old vimeo is what makes vimeo so grand imho.

I love vimeo and appreciate the work everyone has done but i do not want its look and presentation (which is the first thing that attracts and keeps viewers interested) to become just one of so many sites and blogs out there.

Perhaps we could enhance the old design a bit and give it more tools and options that the new vimeo has?

Just my $0.02 :)

Irani Friend

Irani Friend

Andrea has been doing her best in a difficult situation.

She has doggedly herded the cats from many other threads (with titles like "*PLEASE*May I Have The Old Vimeo Back?" and "New Vimeo Feedback") to this thread with its more sedate, controlled - "New Vimeo Feature Requests"...

The majority of the feature requests in this thread - and in the several other threads still open - such as:

New Viewing Size Too Big vimeo.com/forums/topic:49213, vimeo.com/forums/topic:65231, vimeo.com/forums/topic:65162, vimeo.com/forums/topic:59422

No avatar thumbnail beside "Me" when logged in vimeo.com/forums/topic:65650

Stats in the "New" Vimeo: vimeo.com/forums/topic:65018, vimeo.com/forums/topic:65062, vimeo.com/forums/topic:37093,

Please make hiding More Videos Tab optional: vimeo.com/forums/topic:64937, vimeo.com/forums/topic:65360

Too much scrolling (and flickering as the mouse passes over the drop-down menu topics: vimeo.com/forums/topic:64740

- and many more besides:

vimeo.com/forums/topic:64483, vimeo.com/forums/topic:65263, vimeo.com/forums/topic:65248,

vimeo.com/forums/topic:64409, vimeo.com/forums/topic:65071, vimeo.com/forums/topic:64952, vimeo.com/forums/topic:64911 -

All these Feature Requests for the "New" Vimeo in this thread - and the majority of the posts in the "New Vimeo Feedback" thread (the precursor to this thread) all amount to one thing, basically:

A great many thoughtful, articulate, concerned, devoted Vimeo customers and community members *all* want 'new' features that were STANDARD in the White/Blue Vimeo -

And to be frank, again, most of these many many requests have received a Vimeo Community Staff response of.....Silence.

I don't know, of course, but it might be that the Vimeo Community Staff secretly agree with these myriad articulate, skilled and consummately able Vimeo customers and community members, but cannot openly say so.

I again request that any "New" Vimeo page does not jerk up and down when a drop-down menu is clicked;

that the horizontal drop-down menu is replaced with something like (or the same as) the White/Blue Vimeo layout, where only a "tab" drops down, not the entire top of the page - and that scrolling across the topic headings becomes simple again, and not such a strain on one's eye (too much flickering flashing text in the "New" Vimeo);

that Stats be visible by default, not a drop-down menu that requires loading, and that they be easy to read, but also able to be hidden by Plus & Pro customers if they so wish, from their "Settings";

that the default viewing window size is the same as in the White/Blue Vimeo with the user option to expand to the Cinerama/VistaVision alternative as in the "New" Vimeo;

that the text size, color and weight be made easier on the eye (the White/Blue (CHAMPION) Vimeo is perfect in this regard);

that the "More Videos" currently on the right side, and scroll-able in the White/Blue Vimeo be retained - searching through the "Cinema Frame" thumbnails is eye candy but ultimately confusing and requires too much clicking back and forth.

Thank you, Vimeo Community Staff and Coders - the simplest answer to all these cogently expressed "Feature Requests" would be to allow those who wish to stay with the White/Blue Vimeo to do so, at least that's how it seems to me...

Thanks!

Irani Friend

Irani Friend

Quoting myself, above:

"...most of these many many requests have received a Vimeo Community Staff response of.....Silence.

...it might be that the Vimeo Community Staff secretly agree with these myriad articulate, skilled and consummately able Vimeo customers and community members, but cannot openly say so."

It's been more than a day and yet:

No response to these many, many repeated sincere requests for features that are STANDARD in the White/Blue (CHAMPION) Vimeo -

No response except.........Silence.

keith leng

keith leng

For me, groups would be infinitely improved if the Play, Like, and Later functions were available directly on the thumbnails on the group's home page - in the same way that they are in main feed page. As it is, I need to go into a video's individual page to perform any of these actions, and that is pretty tedious.

Also, it would be very helpful if the full description showed in a bubble pop-up when hovering over the thumbnail.

Streamlining the group pages would make Vimeo much more enjoyable for me.

I really don't like the new look for the Vimeo beta.

Please reconsider.

Contacts are people you "follow"? Why make it abstract? In the true Vimeo, I like that I can add "contacts" (clients, coworkers, partners) and at the same time can subscribe to other people's video uploads/likes (but not who I would add as a contact). It helps define the people that I need to stay in "contact" with, from people who I'd like to see more from (but not add them as a contact). Sure in the beta Vimeo you can adjust via the subscription feed, but this is exactly what we are all talking about.. Vimeo keeps adding 2 extra steps for things that shouldn't need to be in the first place... with true Vimeo, it was as easy as adding someone as a contact or simply subscribing to someone's videos/likes/involvement... it only took 2 clicks. The Vimeo beta, I have to load 2 new pages and the clicks are quadrupled.

I hope you understand, I didn't bother to better write that better because I suspect it will *again* fall on deaf ears. This small problem is symptomatic of the nature of the problem and discontent with Vimeo beta... you guys are trying too hard and destroying it in the process. I suspect a top-down directive (has to be, no real reason why any competent designer/product manager would do what has been done to Vimeo beta) in order to make Vimeo more satiable for any future business plans down the road.

Why is Vimeo beta better again??!

Ahmed

Ahmed

@bobby, I think it´s not a beta version but the final version
@staff, I think you can close this thread like the other critical threads here,.. you will not change anything. Very, very sad....

Ahmed, they have said that this is the beta version. This means that they are still working on getting it right.

While we still have time to get it fixed, I will voice my reservations about the beta.

Better to work through this constructively than to give up hope and get angry about it later in life. Wouldn't you agree Ahmed?

Les Productions de la Main Verte

Les Productions de la Main Verte Plus

I agree with everything that was said earlier by Irani Friend, but the biggest problem is that the video quality has deteriorated, the lack of smoothness of video playback and loading times, no problems' exist with the old version!
All persons who use vimeo around me are furious about the declining quality.

Vimeo is currently shooting itself in the foot, would have contracted the syndrome myspace?

Sorry for my english,

a french man

tim hahne

tim hahne Plus

I complained about this with no reply. Think the point is: less data transfer, more money earned. A shame for my old family...

Gary Hagan

Gary Hagan Plus

VImeo is a video site. I just joined as plus member, but am a bit surprised that 44.1Khz is your maximum sampling rate given that most video is recorded at 48Khz, or some multiple vs. a CD upload site where 44.1Khz might be reasonable. Downsampling to 44.1Khz is a bit problematic given that alaising issues can degrade the sound. Do you have plans to rectify this situation and provide a 48Khz maximum audio sampling rate?

Abstract Marks

Abstract Marks

Hi Vimeo,
Keep up the good work on the new site. The search was having trouble so I apologize if this has been answered: Have the RSS feeds/links to RSS been eliminated or not added yet? I can't find them and have to revert to the original site to find them. If they aren't there please add this as a feature request. Also like another video site (blip) I would absolutely love it if Vimeo could help us publish to iTunes and other video portals!
Thanks, Mark

jonasnormann

jonasnormann Plus

I think it's the most ridiculous thing to do if we can't check out the view counts anymore..
PLEASE change it or I will seriously conscider to use youtube for my videos.
I think it's such an important feature for internet videos to have!!

I REALLY hope that the view counts will change to how it used to be..

Indio The GuyaRican

Indio The GuyaRican Plus

Greetings!

I'm wondering if dimming the background when viewing videos is possible. The white background is just not ideal for a good viewing experience. Also, to the point of many already, the bigger video size does degrade the image a bit.

Thanks for "listening".

Indio

Ricky Br

Ricky Br

How I can see my Channel Status on new vimeo? This was possible in old vimeo... now is it impossible?

Abstract Marks

Abstract Marks

Could someone respond to the question about RSS feed URL's on my group page, please? Since the first post I have seen it on other group (and channel and album) pages, so maybe it's a setting I'm missing? Having that RSS feed link would sure help.

Regards, Mark

Abstract Marks

Abstract Marks

p.s. I just found the RSS links for my videos, my likes, my watch later, etc. but am still not finding the URL for the group

Kevin Sweeney

Kevin Sweeney Staff

Hi Mark, Thanks for letting us know about this. I just checked and saw that we do have a ticket for this (same goes for channels). We'll try to get it in as expeditiously as possible!

g1234

g1234

FEATURE REQUEST: GO BACK TO THE OLD STYLE. I HATE this new style. Give it as an option.. something.

Irani Friend

Irani Friend

Today the option of going back has been removed from me - :-( I am seriously disturbed by the (awful) flashing / page jumping and the difficulty - or need to be extra specially careful -when navigating the leaping Nav Bar...

A few things I *have* come to be more comfortable with as I've attempted to grapple with the "New"(Yeuchh!) Vimeo - the uniform typeface/font - not as visually inviting as in the White/Blue (CHAMPION) Vimeo, but easier generally to read - though a greater variety of weights to the font would be welcome....

I checked out the stats yesterday and they *do* seem to have been improved in their layout, but the entire page is way unnecessarily complicated and the page jerking / jumping is just so DUMB...

*PLEASE* VIMEO - Allow your more discerning customers and community to retain the White/Blue (CHAMPION) VIMEO - Don't Throw away all the *great* design and ease of use that you have achieved....

pan baron

pan baron

Indeed. The new design is beyond disgusting. It's so cluttered and unintuitive! Why can't we have an option to go back to the old, simple, intuitive, user and viewer friendly design? Why did they ask if we wanted to switch when they switched to the new look anyway? Thanks god it happened before I actually gave them my money. This is probably not a fault of the design team but one or few individuals who somehow need to justify their pay-checks by "doing something".

I give this thread few more hours before it's closed just like the other criticizing ones ;) Bye vimeo, I will miss you!

PublicSpace.ac.uk

PublicSpace.ac.uk Plus

I like the new design. The only thing I can't work out is why there is no search within the Forums, as there used to be. The main search produces videos. Have I missed it? Is it there but not visible on MacSafari/Firefox? I keep going out to Google in another tab.

(I visited a portfolio on another computer without Flash today, and enjoyed the ever-changing - OUCH!, ACK!, OOPS! etc. with each video. Great stuff!)

Marcelo do Nascimento

Marcelo do Nascimento

When will be fully realeased the new Vimeo?
In firefox i see the old in chrome the new.

Kasra Design

Kasra Design Plus

It's really annoying, I keep opting out but I get forced back to this annoying user interface. For god sake, are you guys enjoying this game?

JAMES ORROW

JAMES ORROW PRO

When linking a Vimeo video to my Facebook page you are unable to tag yourself or friends in the video. As you are unable to tag yourself your video is not stored in (your videos) page on FB. Which results in the link/video beging lost in the history of time in your news feed and is therefore not accesiable when people want to go to view your videos on your FB page. Is this going to change at any point. If not this means videos will have to be directly loaded up to FB if I want people to be able to view my links at any point on my FB page with out having to go through all my history to find them which they won't. Any chance of a tag option with FB for links from vimeo videos on FB.

AleG

AleG

And so, finally, the option to use the old Vimeo has been removed completely. I had the chance of seeing how my videos look when not played on HD, look horrible.
Since I don't see the point of uploading videos to a site that is going to degrade them like that I guess I'll have to stop using it.
Also the new vimeo is clunky and laggy on my Netbook, which I use to browse the Internet most of the time so I don't think I'll look around the site much neither.

*Excellent* work Vimeo staff, thank you for ignoring every single request in this and other threads.

rollerblading news

rollerblading news

Please do something about the size of the video player is to big !

On slower computers because of the huge size the videos are very slow.
On laptops with small screens they occupy the entire screen you don't really want always to see videos in "full screen"...

THX !

Henry Dane

Henry Dane

Dear Vimeo,
Please return the option to use the "old" Vimeo format. Thank you.
Henry

Roberto Duarte

Roberto Duarte Plus

Hi Andrea
I'm not against a new layout at all when improves functionality or is just simply better or prettier, but I must say, it is sadly not the case.
I think videos look very bad in the new "upscaled" way, the resize button is not a good solution for they still preserve the thumbnail as a frame (looks pretty bad). Take into consideration that displaying videos in the new way bypass original settings, not for the best.
Although this is the main problem I would say regarding the new design, everything seems to be spread out (website info is not anymore together with profile info ie.), it is harder to navigate.
Would be great letting the user decide what to show on the profile page, Right now has too much useless info (recently uploaded videos and recently followed, ie. needless to say that they are really big!)
Restoring original videos sizes would be a necessary thing to do, letting upscaling only as an option, this way people could think about the best settings before uploading.
Hope the staff consider these things...thanks

Roberto Duarte

Roberto Duarte Plus

The "Replace this Video" function could be a good thing, everything will need to be re up bigger though, this is a bad thing for people with lots of videos. Could this solve the quallity problem due to the bigger player display?

I'm not sure if the Compression Guidelines need to be updated as well?

Uniontown Bible Church

Uniontown Bible Church Plus

I had many group files (mostly MP3) stored that are no longer accessible on new Vimeo. I had an old link saved Utown 'To Become Holy' , for an example. I didn't keep the originals, thinking (wrongly, so it seems) that they would be safe and I could get back if needed. So, if you don't want to support this feature any longer, could I have the old vimeo for a month more so as to retrieve these?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi there, thanks for letting us know about this. We're going to see if we can work something out for those with files and other information in the old Groups structure that will no longer be available in New Vimeo. I apologize for any inconvenience. Sit tight, we're listening.

Bob Wargo

Bob Wargo Plus

I use my browser zoomed in 125% ( I don't think I am alone in this practice) and have not any problems viewing other sites. Now on Vimeo I have to zoom-out to fit the player on the screen which then makes reading text uncomfortable. I vote for a smaller player.

rank amateur

rank amateur Plus

But not replying! What are the instructions - to only reply to technical queries and remain silent about the general shortcomings of the new design?! It's a very good way to get a lot of people to cancel their accounts, I would have thought.

Catalin Vancea

Catalin Vancea

Is ok the new look ... yep change ... and stuff like that but change is not always a good thing.

I don't understand how can you force people to accept something new even if they don't like it !
Is ok I guess to force me to accept it because I have a FREE account, but II can not understand how can you force people who PAID for there account the old style account.
I will never buy an account because of this policy ...

As feature request I will like: - possibility to use the old layout :)
- adjustable player size ( Is to huge )

Peace

Ryan Shelley

Ryan Shelley Plus

The new layout isn't all bad, i really like the larger wide videos on individual video page. My only complaint is the background being solid white, it really makes it hard to find the different "sections" of each feature, everything blends together. Also the all white background doesn't play nice with video and colors. Maybe give us the option to change the background color? I think this will help people adapt a little better.

alice cohen

alice cohen Plus

I agree with a lot of the above comments. I already have addressed a lot of issues in another thread about stretched thumbnails (my 640x480 thumbnails are now distorted and ugly).
but overall: bring back "contacts", as opposed to "following". it's too much like facebook or tumblr now...and not as professional as before. many of us do this for work - our careers - not just a social network thing, which is what it looks like, visually, now. also - there doesn't seem to be a way to remove this "following" section, and it looks ugly and sort of facebook-y - not as professional as before.
my videos are my art - i often spend months on each one, and the large size of the player does not, in every case, look better - it has pixelated some videos badly, whereas they looked great before, on Old Vimeo.
as to the site being free - many of us actually do pay for the "plus" account, so it seems a shame to be forcing this new look on us, when we were much happier before, and are now paying for changes we didn't want or ask for or have any choice in.

Verid

Verid

I have only one request. Please add button "Return to old Vimeo style".

To others - if you know any other place like old Vimeo please PM me. Judging from the reaction of the staff who answer only those who request minor changes to present design It seems that old Vimeo won't return in any form so I'll be forced to move my vids from here to a more user friendly location.

Ricky Br

Ricky Br

Very good idea!!! Just one botow...

avalon #2

avalon #2

"full-width player" is difficult to use.

Justin

Justin Plus

Can you scale back the avatar images on personal profiles? I am well aware of what my avatar looks like I do not need to see it at 300x300 this is taking up way to much space! In general all the pages seem LARGE...

Ricky Br

Ricky Br

Because Vimeo is not listening to its users? I'm not understanding how Vimeo has an updating to improve and instead of keeping all the facilities is destroying their uzuarios tools that were used to using .... I believe he is having a big problem or just undoing his uzuarios ... I'm discouraged to have signed the vimeo plus in the past month .... Vimeo would like to undo my signature plus ... this is possible?
Ricardo.

Ricky Br

Ricky Br

You guys could just keep the old users to vimeo plus

JSM

JSM Plus

There you have it. Those who protested were threatened with removal because of lack of respect for the staff and community. How about the lack of respect for the milions who have made Vimeo what it WAS? Forums were locked as soon as staff discovered that they did not conform with the new company direction, and now long time users are stuck with this ridiculous new site. Of course, I will probably be accused of being a "rabble rouser" again, as infered by a staff member a few weeks ago. Don't you just love the official staff reply on the just locked forum that we will get used to it. That says it all does it not?

Jonathon Beaver

Jonathon Beaver

I am truly shocked at the blatant denial of the Vimeo staff on here. They are selective of whom they reply to and like you guys have said, when the thread got too heated, i.e the majority of people complained about the new Vimeo, it was locked! Anyone know any FRIENDLY and ACCOMMODATING video sites where we can upload our videos to?!

Red Tape Pictures

Red Tape Pictures PRO

A new feature I would like to see is a 'Weekend challenge' for uses to vent their frustrations with using the new vimeo. Guidelines could include: videos displayed within a viewer that does not match the videos dimensions, Locked forums that are not open to criticism, the 'sorry vimeo can not find your video message', being given the choice not to opt for the new vimeo and then being forced to anyway'. I think this would be a great challenge, as is using the new vimeo.

Roberto Duarte

Roberto Duarte Plus

and counting. they do not really want to listen to people, do they? It is the people what make this a good place, and by no means the "staff" and their policies!
It is frustrating, we have all been redirected to a thread for outcasts, nobody is listening...

rank amateur

rank amateur Plus

I'm looking forward to seeing where this thread - and the discontent expressed - leads. I work with the BBC here in the UK and tomorrow morning (it's now late night) I'm going to have a chat with their technology guys in current affairs - see what they can find out, and whether there's a good story to run here. (I refer to the locking of the other thread, of course!)

Visionlux

Visionlux Plus

"I'm looking forward to seeing where this thread - and the discontent expressed - leads."

There's always twitter...
#newvimeosucks

Kasra Design

Kasra Design Plus

Rank, this would be fantastic. God bless ya if you take it to the news. We paid for this service and VIMEO is forcing us to use this crap interface. Moreover, no one is listening to customers here. I regret we built our links and website based on vimeo hosted videos. :((((

If the dictation from VIMEO continues, we will definitely shift to another video sharing website.

rank amateur

rank amateur Plus

I will pursue this today. Of course, I've just realised that my website / social media etc all have Vimeo embeds, so I'm a bit stuck taking my business elsewhere at the moment - great! (Amusingly though, the frame on my website is YouTube / Old Vimeo - sized. Yep - looks so much better).

Visionlux

Visionlux Plus

This is the Apple model that all large companies aspire to.
Forget about professionals and their demands. Too small of a market while being notoriously hard to please. The big, easy money is in teenage bedrooms. As long as the colors are trendy and you communicate with lot's of exclamations!!!! the dough will roll in.

Memories On Tape

Memories On Tape Plus

What the setting to RETURN TO THE ORIGINAL VIMEO SETTINGS, it has changed to the NEW LOOK again, and I do not like it. I have searched for the setting to GO BACK and it keeps taking me to BUY A PLUS ACCOUNT.................I paid for PLUS ACCOUNT because I liked it, I do not like this set up. Please just give me the settings to return.

Sid B.

Sid B.

Ah the decline of Vimeo begins. Let's see how this goes. I for one despise the new look.

은현교회

은현교회 Plus

clicked "share", but I couldn't find "facebook link button".
I could find only "facebook like button."

In old verson, "share" -> "facebook" -> select "my timeline" or "my page"

In new verson, "share" -> "facebook like" -> done

Why didn't you remove this selecting function?
I need this function of old version.

Philippe Broers

Philippe Broers Plus

I join the discontent group, the decline is visible now, first the loss of the uploader, now this, who s realy in charge here ? I d send him a PM of mine.
I guess this thread is about to be locked and forced to shut up like the others, just wait, maybe before this evening.
Most of the issues have been adressed clearly and politely by clever and articulate members, but none of them have received a decent answer .
The sensitive thing would be to be able to vote on changes as previously suggested,
My theory: There is a mole inside Vimeo working for the other webvideo companies with the task of destroying it from inside.

Ricky Br

Ricky Br

I agree with you Philippe!!!

FORT.

FORT.

ok, I have 2 problems (for now) with the new look - first my "total finishes" are not in the full stats page, I saw I have option to add or delete columns with stats, but there is no save button or something like that - at least I haven't found it, so when reloading the page, total finishes are not there again and it is a little annoying to do the whole thing with adding columns every time.

The second problem I have goes like this - Vimeo is a place to explore works of art, ways of doing this and get inspired... At least that how I see it. It was really helpfull what you had with the old design - when you watch something and you like it you can awlays find all the videos from that user in your right. And when you are really in love with someone's work you can watch all of it without always click "back" and search for the next video. This was something that just looked like YouTube, but at the same time was completely different. I would very much appreciate if this comes back. Thank you.

FORT.

FORT.

Oh, and one more thing - not that we can't get use to it BUT why the stats changed their direction? I mean when you look for your stats it is much more logical to search for the new stats AT THE TOP, not at the bottom. Why would I want to scrow down all the previous stats to see the new ones at the bottom. It's like - we didn't know how to change the statistics so we just turn them upside down.

Amy McWhirter

Amy McWhirter Plus

I am having the same problem as bbJr with my Stats. When you change the comparison Statistics categories to include Finishes and other options, the settings do not SAVE! They always revert back to Plays, Loads, Likes and Comments. Then, when you do see the Finishes and categories you selected, there is no way to find out which videos were finished. The old version allowed this. Must be a glitch, but needs to be fixed. The customizable Stats feature is something I rely on. Please advise!

marcel garbi

marcel garbi

I'd like a system that works under google chrome, as the former one.
This one doesn't play as a flash player nor as an HTML5.

Thanks.

Isaac G.

Isaac G.

make it compatible with all browsers (Win XP, Chrome 20.0.1132.11) i cant watch anything

David Peddicord

David Peddicord

I disapprove of the "new" Vimeo. Now when I open it it goes to my page and I see many offensive images and subjects that I do not want to see. Please make an option as to what you see when you go to your Vimeo page.

Fractal Circus

Fractal Circus

I was using the old design up until today. Now that the change has been forced on me I feel the need to comment again.

First, Vimeo has been very unresponsive and unhelpful, especially to paying customers. If they keep this up I'll be looking for somewhere else to invest my money, as I imagine many other people would. Ignoring customers' concerns, wishes, and censoring dissent is no way to run any business.

Now the design is terrible as I've stated before, bad aesthetic choices, layout, and functionallity. Vimeo probably spent a lot of money on a new design, but without thoroughly testing it technically or for it's popularity. Now with problems coming out of the woodwork, Vimeo may be in a spot where their only choice is to push ahead with the new design because their budget won't allow another redesign. If that's the case than that should be communicated, and not vague statements that say a lot of people like it, irrelevant word searches, and smug opinionated replies.

Alex White

Alex White

Dear Vimeo, please return us option to choose old style.
We`d be cool and play nice.

piuzre

piuzre

The staff have already said everything:

The feedback we've received has been OVERWHELMINGLY positive!

There's no path back. All people like the new Vimeo only a minority don´t like it.

The New Vimeo is here to stay. We will not be going back to the old design.

THANKS VIMEO!!!!!!

piuzre

piuzre

There is no path back. Yesterday Vimeo has closed the last loophole to come to the old design

Roberto Duarte

Roberto Duarte Plus

at this point I do not think the issue is whether to return to the old design or not, rather than this new one must be as functional as the previous one, and above all, the videos have to look good.

Justin Whitacre

Justin Whitacre

this is the same thing facebook did with the timeline. im not a fan of not having a choice...

Rustam Sharipov

Rustam Sharipov

old version is more comfortable than the new one!!!

Alex Kazakov

Alex Kazakov Plus

Agree!!!! Old design is simple and comfortable!!! PLEASE, let us to choose, which version is better!

Memories On Tape

Memories On Tape Plus

Vimeo 'is not Facebook'................we PAY FOR THIS SERVICE. We have to put up with Facebook changing it looks but WE PAY FOR THIS SERVICE and should not be forced to have the set up we did not PAY FOR. I want the old set up back...................

Amy McWhirter

Amy McWhirter Plus

I must add that I can't believe the More Videos tab has replaced what used to be a list of all my videos clearly seen on the right-hand side of the screen. This new design will cost me business! Like others in this forum, I am considering guiding all of my clients to a different video website. My most commonly viewed video was originally uploaded 3 years ago. With the old design, it was quick and easy for visitors to scan my other videos, which lead to work for me. With this new design, when someone clicks More Videos on my most popular, oldest video, it looks like that's the only video I've ever uploaded! They would have to figure out to press the Back arrow (not front) and click it countless times to get to my most recent videos! I rely on people seeing my most recent work, so this is a real problem. We need to either be able to order our videos within the More Videos tab, or switch back to the old design where the videos were visible on the right. Please hear us and respond.

David Kennedy

David Kennedy PRO

I understand the need to enhance and update pages and all of that good stuff. This most recent change to the website is highly confusing. The delete button for videos is TINY and hard to find, getting to my actual videos are confusing, uploading has significantly changed and overall I have trouble navigating through the site. I wish there was a way to go back to the original or at least feedback in a beta site from customers.. This needs a lot of work personally.

One at least easy feature request. When you go to "My Profile" can you at least put an upload button there like it was in the past? The one of the main page was a bit deceiving since I wasn't inside my profile at the time.

Sorry to be negative, I know your trying to make the place better, this seems extremely buggy and little was tested... My conversion for a new video is over an hour and a half now without being anywhere near finished.

Willian Aleman

Willian Aleman PRO

I'm very unhappy with the New Vimeo interface, especially when the new
one is not an optional choice for the users. For the second time, my
old homepage interface has been changed without me doing anything on
my part for the change to happen and worse, without Vimeo preview
notification either as a client, asking us for permission before they
do the changes. Now, I have found out that this change is
irreversible, and the the topic in the Vimeo forum has been locked. I'm
wondering why?

I don't like my new homepage at home and visitor, follower of my work ether. I don't like the new interface. It looks flat, similar to the Apple store where everything is white, like there is
no other color under the sun. In addition, after a while, in front of
this interface, the eyes hurt. I'm very annoyed with Vimeo's decision
about not providing an optional choice for the meantime until they
get design well done. This is not a place for computer devices and
equipment sale. It was a place for cinematographers, videographers
and directors to portray their work. I'm sad to say I'm looking for an
alternative Video place. What attracted me to Vimeo is not here
anymore.

A web-design become the visual ID of an artistic, client or user. The new Vimeo design of Vimeo seems to lack this important principal among others that rules internet policy.

And "Great thing are about to happen - your video will start converting shortly."
What a great thing with the new interface. After 1 hour and 35 seconds ago, at the moment of this writing, I'm still waiting for my recent video to start converting. It is not unbelievable how efficient the new interface works. vimeo.com/42441146

I though that the programers' policy was to ask users or clients to offer their services as beta testers, not to force them to be.

I hope Vimeo won't end up in the mess Neflix was a couple months ago. Well, at least the fixed it and apologized to the clients.

I am too considering guiding all of my clients to a different video website. It seems like with no choice, we need to move on.

Willian Aleman

Willian Aleman PRO

And by the way, I would like to ask, where is the option to edit the text in this forum? Is its absence part of the new interface too?

Memories On Tape

Memories On Tape Plus

When I send people to my link, THEY CANNOT EVEN FIND MY VIDEOS anymore...........and neither can I!!!! Do we get a VOTE. I am searching for another place for my videos and I have ALWAYS PROMOTED Vimeo at my video seminars, etc.................no more, can't when I can't even find my own stuff!

George Smid

George Smid

The new design is worse. Sorry. I loved the fact that I could share one video with friends, with the idea that my other videos in my account are quickly accessible on the right. Now its gone. Must I have to send individual links now. Am I missing something here! Please bring it back. It was so simple before!

john carrafa

john carrafa Plus

The video image is too large for my work. The smaller image was perfect. how do i get that back?

FORT.

FORT.

Can we hope for some answers from the Staff?

Artiste

Artiste

I doubt it, they are too embarrassed to even let me comment on how absurd they are being, in my pointing out of facts which they cannot deny, so they resort to deleting my posts. They will sooner lock or delete a post, especially if it is getting somewhere, than try to resolve it. At least this establishes that they are paying attention, in the process of ignoring everyone's complaints.

Squareball Media//Adasa Cookey

Squareball Media//Adasa Cookey

Hello, the new design looks good, but the videos dont. for some reason they dont have the resolution of the old vimeo. maybe the larger player is to blame. how can i return to the old one?, i no longer see i hate change button.

FORT.

FORT.

You can't.

Peter Nichts-und-alles

Peter Nichts-und-alles Plus

Hi Mark
Only this (here in the back room forum):
No, I don't "want to cancel my account in vimeo" yet. I stay because of the friends of my videos, and there are still some other good reasons not to leave. I gulp down your reaction, although I felt rather humiliated now. Me and many others friends tried with contructive feedbacks (sorry, english is not my mother language; it's very difficult to speak accurately about specific details). So, I tried at the end with (may be) a little cutting irony. But I never intended to insult anybody personaly.
You remind me clearly, to act in a "civilized manner". It's easily possible in democratic structures, it's more difficult, when there is a more hierarchical understanding. This I wanted to admit.

But, I give up anyway now. It has become senseless, to protest any longer against the new factuel vimeo. You showed me and many others very clearly, that you have the upper hand here. Me, and many friends wanted to defend the beauty and practicality of the old vimeo, that's all. You keep to your project without compromise. It wasen't the only possible way. But one has to know, when one is defeated.
This whole story makes me quite sad and hopeless.

Context Link: vimeo.com/forums/topic:66353#comment_7221183

Ricky Br

Ricky Br

Good morning my uncomfortable friends,

I noticed that nobody subscribe in my channel in last 2 days, this is really strange because every day before new vimeo between 5 and 10 people subscribe. How I can understand that.... I know nobody will answer my problem here.
I know that try is the best think I do now.... What fuck happening in vimeo now... Many people speak for me, You aren't no polite for show your problem but to me this is a manipulation of mind... We need show the reality..... VIMEO IS A LIE!!!

Ricky Br

Ricky Br

DON'T FORGET!!! I LIKE EVERY ONE IN VIMEO STAFF, I BELIVE A SHIT BOSS IN THIS MOMENT.....SORRY MY WORD...
SO I IMAGINE THAT VIMEO WILL ANSWER MY PROBLEM......
NICE WEEKEND FOR EVERYONE!!!

Eyescream

Eyescream

Hello everyone ! I have to say that I agree with most of the users here, IHATE the new interface and I would REALLY like to come back to the old one ! I'm really not against the change, fresh stuff are great and Vimeo used to be the very best video platform I used. But with this new design and interface, I really feel like I can't use it anymore, any single function I used to love are now gone or I feel like I have to look everywhere to find it back and finally it doesn't work like before anymore. I've tryed to be familiar with the new design as I used it 8hours a day every day and now i must Admit it : I hate it (a lot). Sorry for not being very constructive in this comment, but I've seen that most of the features wich are wrong now have been pointed out by the other users before me. I'm not used to give feedback like that usually and so does people i'm working with (we're a French Video Production Company) but it looks like most of the people I've talked with just hate the new Vimeo interface... Anyway keep up your great work ! hope to find a solution otherwise i think I'll lost my everydy favorite tool :(

Willian Aleman

Willian Aleman PRO

More reports about the new interface:

- My recent 1280 x720 HD video display screen initially looks like a 640 x 360
- My recent video looks dissaturate and the contrast ratio looks like it is two stop level up. Totally, the color has been washed out. I can send screenshots with both, before and after vimeo compression to anybody interesting, including vimeo. And the original file was send to vimeo at 4.000 Kbits/s

I used to hear that the good thing about Vimeo compared to YouTube was that Vimeo didn't mess with your video files compression. It looks like, at the moment, this is history.

- In >Setting> Disabling "Share" doesn't work. It is still showing up at in the top right of the video window.

- "Disabling "FullScreen and Scale" doesn't work in any of the preferences. It used to work at least in Portfolio.
- There is no deep - external link for individual videos in Portfolio. Well, there never was.
- In order for visitors to read the full text of "About Me" they have to scroll down the page, before the whole text was displayed in full below the profile thumbnail.
- Before there used to be a display for three "Featured Videos." The new interface only displays two.
- I still cannot find a way of reordering the videos in a custom way, other than the arbitrated sort: Date, Alphabetica;/Plays/ Likes/ Comment/Duration
-Video Custom URL doesn't work properly. User's added stream doesn't show up in Safari link top after loading. this is the original Custom vimeo.com/willianaleman/julia-harper, and this is the way it turns after loading vimeo.com/41894038

This is an old issue I have reported at least twice to vimeo.

nika ragua

nika ragua

feature request : OLD STYLE BRING IT BACK.
and fire your designers

Jonathon Beaver

Jonathon Beaver

I am truly shocked at the blatant denial of the Vimeo staff on here. They are selective of whom they reply to and like you guys have said, when threads get too heated, i.e the majority of people complained about the new Vimeo, it was locked! Complete censorship. Arrogant defiance from the staff too, 'it is here to stay'. Anyone know any FRIENDLY and ACCOMMODATING video sites where we can upload our videos to?!

Sid B.

Sid B.

I want the option to clear search history. I don't want you to keep track of it anyway. Why is that there? It didn't used to be.

Also, If I want to go to channels or groups, there is an extra step now. Before when I click on the search bar, I could select if I wanted to search "videos, people, groups, channels, etc) Now I have go some stupid way. It is counterproductive.

Also, in groups, forums are terrible to access now. Also, the design is so ugly and cluttered in forums. Go back to the way it was.

Lastly, fix the issue with the settings not being saved. I made a topic about it and apparently it will be looked at but we all know that means nothing is going to happen.

I also agree you should fire your designers. This is a mess.

Philippe Broers

Philippe Broers Plus

Hey mostly plus or pro members are posting on this thread,
dont worry as they say , "IT WILL GROW ON YOU!"
Kind of like a mole or a wart or a zit,

pan baron

pan baron

epic comment, made my day! xDD

Irani Friend

Irani Friend

"New" Vimeo = The Acne Of Success ! ! !

Super P.

Super P.

Hi Andrea,

I love the design of the new vimeo, but not as much as the old vimeo. The biggest problem I encountered was with the player. I have a hard time loading videos with it. If you have a solution, please help. Like really. I think we need it bad.

Booo!!! New Vimeo booo!!!!!

Visionlux

Visionlux Plus

A lot of people asking about alternatives here so...
chaos-laboratory.com/2007/08/30/top-31-free-alternatives-to-youtube-video-hosting-sites/

Unfortunately for me I had just recently paid to be a plus member and because these changes happened 2 weeks from my refund date, Vimeo is sticking firmly to their "no refunds after 30 days" policy.
For me, the road ahead is a very cautious one. As my business grows, the level of commitment to my video provider grows. I think more and more about how Vimeo has screwed and ignored me and many other plus and pro members and shudder to think of any form of committed future with them.
I predict that in 6 months I'll be with a different provider.

SkyPIX

SkyPIX PRO

please give us way to switch to OLD design. new is just UGLY.

Phil Renne

Phil Renne

I love Vimeo. But I don't like the new design. It is too distracting. The old Vimeo was more simplistic. Especially the navigation and the dropdown menus.

Please, give us back the old Vimeo.

bestbefore

bestbefore Plus

It seems that vimeo becoming like the latest version of myspace. Extreme confusing, slow and not practical at all. Most of the users will abandon it and turn into something more friendly.
Sorry guys, I used to be a fun but right now i'll think I start looking for something else.

I love changes, but it would be more honest to publish the new interface once it's full functional.
It's a big shame also for the users who rely on you and paid for a plus account.
Absolute Unprofessional ....... .. . .

GFB

GFB Plus

There are a number of things I dislike about the "New" Vimeo, but the way videos are displayed - the "full width player" is really the last straw. I do a lot of work in SD. You are taking video that has been compressed for uploading and then enlarging it to display all the compression artifacts. Crazy.

Please return to the old Vimeo, or allow the choice of which skin to use, as this new one is not what I paid for.
GFB

Maaainichi

Maaainichi

Hi.
I'm little confused about getting the same video three times in my list - one with comment-sign, one with like-sign and so on. After make a comment it's a new one there. I have only ONE video uploaded... ;-)

Maaainichi

Maaainichi

Maaainichi

2nd: Why are the thumbnails always in 16:9-ratio? I miss heads and feets of my 4:3-characters... ;-) OK, it's not important for the movie itself, but another user has a wrong preview-impression.

3nd: I miss my older stats also. There are clipped last year.

I'm not sure if I like the new Vimeo or not. I'm still collecting...

See That Again Video

Does anyone know what happens to the video's already uploaded with a plus account. If you do not want to pay anymore, will the videos already uploaded remain with just a standard membership?

Uniontown Bible Church

Uniontown Bible Church Plus

I believe it is that the compressed versions remain, but the original file is only stored for one week.

PennsvilleTrinity

PennsvilleTrinity

I'm having tons of issues trying to upload services, with the old vimeo I had no problem whatsoever and a 1 hour service loaded in an hour or two, now it takes that long to just move to 1% uploaded and I haven't changed a thing only vimeo has changed. I still have yet to upload a service because it takes so long and I usually end up giving up when it's been like 6 hours. For example, I started uploading at 8:30pm and it is now 9:15pm and the progress bar does not even say 1% yet. When the new vimeo was optional I tried it out and switched back withing 30 min. because of this problem and now I have the problem all over again. If you could help me with this issue that would be great. Thanks!

StudioChu

StudioChu

I can't understand how can you make this changes for the New Vimeo, without thinking about the size of all the movies already uploaded...
I use Vimeo to showcase my animation works and all my uploaded videas were looking good at the Old Video viewer smaller size. Now all of them looks so bad that I can't keep on using Vimeo for that. Also I can't upload all the videos again at a bigger size...
Here you are deling with a big problem , and as I can see, lot of people is dissapoited.
You must give that option of choosing the best viewer size for each video!!!

AleG

AleG

I think Vimeo fell for a fallacy, they got raving approvals when they showed people what the new Vimeo would be like, before people actually tried it.
You can clearly see it in the blog were the new Vimeo was announced, lots of people high-fiving the design team after seeing the presentation video, but as people actually began to use the new Vimeo the comments get more critical.
As the new Vimeo began to be implemented the people that didn't like it simply chose the "I hate change" option so the new Vimeo would stop bugging them, I know I did and I tried five or six times to send a detailed feedback of why I didn't like it... for some reason the feedback couldn't be delivered.
Now that everyone is forced to use the new one the people that opted out are starting to complain, why would they before if it was much simpler to keep using the old one?
I believe this created a false impression of overall approval of the new Vimeo, now apparently is too late to backtrack.

As for feature requests... can we please stop the top menu from making the page jump up and down all the time?, I've grown tired of chasing links as I move the mouse over the menu bar in between the browser tabs and the content on the page.
For example, I change a tab in the browser, I see a link I want to follow in the page, as I move the pointer down the menu pops up moving the content of the page down, then as I reach the link the menu collapses and the link jumps up and then I have to go searching for the link again.
There's absolutely nothing new, in terms of access in the new, jumping menu compared to the previous one; maybe I'm missing the reason why it is superior to the previous one so if anyone knows I'm all ears. For me it's slower, harder to read, harder to navigate, gets on the way of doing other things and doesn't add anything new, so what is to like about it?

Irani Friend

Irani Friend

I have politely but firmly raised this very same problem - and it *is* a problem - in this thread and elsewhere (i think...) but have not received any acknowledgement from any of the staff whatsoever.

I hereby (again) observe that these honest and heartfelt feature requests (for what was STANDARD in the Blue/White (BEST) Vimeo) have been met with...Silence.

They have not been refuted, or even addressed, so far...

FilmworkStudios

FilmworkStudios Plus

On the new vimeo, i want my clients to see many other videos when i send them a link, they are not clicking on the "more videos" tab, this is very frustrating and i am losing work as they can not see everything that i do, and i have done, please let me get back to the old look or please change the page so people can see all my other videos.

please please, Ill hate to go back to you tube.

Irani Friend

Irani Friend

By and large the Staff are responding with Silence... They are not refuting the stories of customers' and community members' authentic experiences with the "New" Vimeo...

Willian Aleman

Willian Aleman PRO

Is it possible to have an answer from the vimeo's Support Team about the reason why the video files, which have been conformed with all the vimeo specs required by vimeo are taking more than three hours for converting? vimeo.com/42519620.

Thanks in advance

Visionlux

Visionlux Plus

Heads up for those with non-HD dimensioned videos and Hub Nut player embeds. Check out your videos because mine (mix of portrait and landscape) are getting stretched into the previously played videos dimensions. i.e. If portrait follows landscape then the portrait will be stretched vertically. Here's the thread in help section...vimeo.com/forums/help/topic:66540
So if your hub nut player contains a mix of HD and 4:3 SD there is a chance the SD is getting stretched to HD dimensions.
Save yourself the embarrassment I am experiencing and have a look.

Pietro Franca

Pietro Franca Plus

i hate the new vimeo..im thinking not use anymore..i was really happy with the old version.....i guees youtube pay a lot for get vimeo really bad..well maybe I'm wrong..tks a lot anyway for last year!!!!

amit ben shoushan

amit ben shoushan Plus

vimeo stuff, you can't ignore us. if you don't see the problems it's not because they are not there.
come to your senses and open the possibility to switch back to good old vimeo.
perhaps you're telling yourself that you've expected it, and most of the people don't like change's
"Give it a shot, we think it'll grow on you.", you're very wrong, you're not my wife and i don't have the obligation to live with you despite of everything that i don't like.
wake up, i don't think vimeo users is the divorce kind of people, respect us because we have respected you all the way...

Kasra Design

Kasra Design Plus

Now I realized why our competitors are using other players to stream their videos. It's about reliability and customer service. Shifting out from Vimeo will cost us some serious $ but I think it will be necessary once forever.

Aaron Kemnitzer

Aaron Kemnitzer Plus

First off. The new vimeo is terrible. Your layout and color scheme is busy and confusing. EVERY change you guys made was for the worse. You guys are obviously experiencing some terrible management.

I hate to see that you guys spent so much time and effort on something like this when we still don't have the ability to view true 1080p and the thumbnails are STILL absolute garbage. I feel like vimeo's days are numbered. Artist care deeply about their work and how its presented. If you guys are concerned about changing layouts of your site for the worse rather than allow us to show our work at higher quality then you guys have no idea why your customers are even here...

Basil Babaa

Basil Babaa

I was having issues trying to find features, which are evidently no longer available on the new Vimeo. Simple features which I am having difficulty believing such would be overlooked or purposefully left out. So I then asked for the Old Vimeo and was told by Mark, that the Old Vimeo was no longer available, and to request features here. It is difficult to request specific features when there are so many things missing from the new Vimeo, and the fact that the new interface is horrifying at best.

Likewise I was amazed that to even add this statement I had to scroll to the bottom of a very lengthy page filled with nearly all complaints about the new interface. Clearly just the fact of having to scroll that much to the bottom with no way to simply press a button at the top to add my feature request is evidence enough that someone in Management should seriously consider replacing the majority of the design team and regroup...

There is a wanting in basic logical thinking that is missing at the foundation core.

Never-the-less, assuming staffing change requests will be ignored here, here goes my features request: Study what you had, and make the New Vimeo like that in every way with respect to features... As I suppose we can live with having to hunt for everything in the clutter, but to hunt and hunt and hunt, only to find that it's no longer in the box.... that's very frustrating.

Until then, I'm not using the site, I'll create my own channel and use embedding...

Edward Getley

Edward Getley Plus

Alas, I prefer the old Vimeo too. I would take the time to get familiar with the Vimeo, and I am doing that, but I am finding mostly things I don't like or don't function well or don't give me any options to make my own preferences.

I guess I could live with the new Vimeo if I could have more options to change default views, if searches in the Forums worked, if certain dealings with messages would have latest message/response/etc. at the top of the page instead of way down at the bottom, a link on evey page (or a key shortcut) to take me back to My Feed from anywhere, chopping off textual description info fm vids and just having 3 dots for you to click to see the rest of it- hey it's not important, people don't read, well we do and that info may be important, etc. Don't make Vimeo like YT.

The old Vimeo wasn't perfect but it worked and provided useful tools and there was an air of respect for the users/contributors/viewers, etc.

I think the viewers out there who just view and may not even be members will be befuddled and people won't see my vids as much. I joined Vimeo and became a Plus Mbr because it was a definite cut above YT. Seems to be going the other way now.

I hope Vimeo resolves all this and if you can't then give us the choice to have the Old Vimeo (even though I know that is probably a futile request since the Servers have probably been zapped and the Old Vimeo given an ignominious and premature death.)

Austin Briggs

Austin Briggs

Daily Motion, although not as pretty as Vimeo, allows up to 2GB file size videos at their NATIVE resolution... just sayin

JSM

JSM Plus

Have you noticed that "Staff" stopped responding to this forum over 5 days ago? Anyone who starts a new forum complaining about the new site is locked immediately. They want to group all the "rabble rousers" in one place. It is hard to believe that paying Plus or Pro customers are treated with such arrogance and censorship. "The customer is always right" is not a concept this "Staff" has ever been exposed to.

I made a post a few weeks ago which I believe explains what is going on, but of course that forum was locked. I also got threatened with removal by one of the "Staff" for my lack of respect. I would guess that 99 1/2% of all posts about the new site has been very unfavorable, yet "Staff" keeps insisting that their other sources love it and these negative comments represent a very minor percentage of user input. I guess they think that all of us are stupid and will believe any propaganda they feed us.

Since I have no choice now, and have to use the new site on a daily basis, I can honestly say it is a convoluted mess. The videos do not look as good, the pages are too busy and it is much harder to navigate. It seems like they had a mission to mess with every aspect of the old site whether it needed it or not.

These people also know that other than YouTube, there really is not a site currently which most Vimeo users would be happy with in the long run. So, this really is a "Catch 22", can't stand the new site, and really can't stand the arrogance and dismissive attitude of management, yet have no other real site to gravitate to.

Pretty sure their ultimate goal is to attract some millions away from YouTube, who would have no idea of how the old Vimeo used to be, and inundate them with ads and gimmicks, thus racking millions in profits. So they gain a gaggle of new customers and lose some of us, which by their comments and treatment here, indicate that they will be glad to see us go.

World Class Productions LLC

World Class Productions LLC PRO

I agree with the others who do not like the look, layout, or functionality of the new Vimeo. I also agree that there does seem to be something unsettling about the corporate culture of Vimeo. It did not make me feel respected as a customer to have to click the button "I Hate Change". Instead, I felt like I was being subtley chastised for enjoying the very features which I originally paid for. It seems that Vimeo is trying to go with a "cooler than thou" attitude, but what the users here really would like to see is a responsiveness to customer preferences, a clean, intuitive functionality, and over-all reliability. It would also be well appreciated if the company apologized to the client base and explained why conversions and uploads were taking so long. Mistakes happen. We understand that. But, it is simply not cool to be jaded, flippant, and unresponsive to your clients. When it comes to where we will spend our money, there is always a choice. Aloha!

LightCurve on the Road - Fousie

LightCurve on the Road - Fousie

I normally like change BUT the new Vimeo is a pain to navigate. I can't even find my forums anymore. Is it just me? I was hoping for a user friendly interface but it's got a long way to go. I regret to say this could be a real deterrent in the future, not only for me but I expect as word spreads how difficult it is to use it could hurt your base. What a shame!

Kris Peck

Kris Peck Plus

Diehard supporter of the old vimeo design, but doing my best to adapt:

Here is my top 5 list for feature requests for the NEW vimeo:

1. I like the bigger, more cinematic 16:9 HD player, but it looks terrible for the now oversized SD 4:3 videos. Please display them at 640x480. Why is the design team so reluctant to fix this seemingly obvious glitch?

2. The stats button is very cumbersome, but at least it's now set to be open by default. At least on my own videos. Interesting solution.

3. The "more videos" tab has pretty much halted people from viewing my other videos. My friends and family are not vimeo experts. On the other hand, I secretly like this feature because sometimes I don't want folks browsing my other videos.

4. The thumbnails are now 16:9 even if the video is 4:3. They are either distorted or cropped and look awful. Consider adding black vertical bars on the sides to preserve the correct aspect ratio.

5. Follow. Followers. Following. Can we please just call them "contacts" ? It sounds more professional and less cult-like.

PS- and please add the unlisted video link feature.

Brian Kim

Brian Kim

New feature request:
Is it possible to save the video format/filter options? My Watch Later and Discover feeds keep defaulting to the Video Format look when I choose the Thumbnail or Detail options.

Sorry if this has already been requested, but I couldn't read through all the posts without getting sick of the "the new Vimeo isn't as good as the previous one" posts.

Article19

Article19 PRO

what happened to h-res poster frames? they are still an over-compressed mess

Andrew Pile

Andrew Pile Staff

We've actually upped the resolution for new videos, older ones should stil be using high res images. Can you post a link?

PINGSCo.net

PINGSCo.net PRO

i agree, i paid for a service with the expectation that i knew what i was getting, now it is something different, i feel like i was bait and switched at a car lot, you know? there was no "Heads up this going to change whether you like it or not" when i paids me money... it seems its all about vimeo and not about the user. Sort of unhappy with the new layout, the page has less stuff to put up, it very plain and sparse and too vanilla for my tastes, especially where my contacts were present in the forefront and we could easily see what our vimeo friends were up to, now????

Mihael Tominšek

Mihael Tominšek Plus

New feature request:
Please return option to switch to Old Vimeo UI
or
- fix menu, because jumping page down is amateurish
- fix that text wont be truncated (...). At lest basic user description. It's stupid to have only few lines of BIG text on a 24'' screen. I do not use (or plan to) iPad or similar. If must, than fix this in CSS and make it fluid to be seen good at different resolution (if you so unfamiliar with modern web programming I can show you).
- give us smaller VIDEO PLAYER; if I need it big I have Coutch Mode and Full Screen.
- give back "other videos" column on the right; "more videos" sign on the right upper cormer is making JOKE out paying customers. Ribbon of videos which again jumps page down is a one of the worst thing on new Vimeo. Who ever thought it's useful??
- Fix stats

And my comment:
- Just "Looking at it" won't fix a thing, but it may broke your eyesight and our commitment to Vimeo.
- Forcing us to have worst product than we payed for, should at least give us some note to choose and get full refund if we don't (choose it any moore).
- Of course we "will grow with" new Vimeo since there isno choice. Try to jump on one leg from today on. No one would like to do voluntarly.
- Creators of new vimeo is arrogant. Talk politely only if someon praise new vimeo. HEY, we payed for it! We can demand delivery, don't we? For shure I didn't wrote google about new Youtube, neither to Zukemberg about Timeline. But to Vimeo as I payed for.
- Quite few good things of new Vimeo COULD BE implemented in ANY user interface. We are not dumb that we not knew. New Vimeo bans all principles of good web design. I can't get it why: To scoff at users?

I know what is my next move. Make own website with all my videos embeded on it. Simple. Forget about Vimeo. Will not prolong PLUS membership. As I left from Animoto (where thought that in 2011 even 720p is not needed). And Why pay Vimeo any moore if Youtube gives me same for free (with even a little better compression quality)?

Best Regards.
MIHAEL

Mihael Tominšek

Mihael Tominšek Plus

PS: Anyone who stepped in a mine adopts to being one-legged.
So work around for now is to everything open in new tab. It's the way I used to do decade ago. Only that way I know what I viewed or not, and especialy avuid getting lost.

NEW FEATURE REQUEST:
Please for god's sake give at least a bit of usefulness to new Vimeo.
- when I click on any video under my videos (that list is OK), let say on icon for settings (that icon is OK too), than do whatever I like and want to "return to video" returns me to VIDEO in a huge player, not back on the list I was working on. So for next video to edit I must click on "videos" again (wait to preload), and browse down to whatever subpage to go to next video. Cumbersome. No one would like to go to PLAY video after setting description! Any one probably want to go to the next video to edit description. If one would like to play video he can always click for that.

Regards
MIHAEL

Cheryl L

Cheryl L Plus

I would like to see the type of file & file size on a video's page like it was in the old Vimeo. It helps me to tweak my own compression settings.

And to agree with others, bigger screen size is not better. It does feel like you are in the front row of a theater as someone posted above. I miss the sidebar of the other videos from a user. While watching one I would sometimes scroll through to see if there were any other videos I wanted to watch from that person.

Tbfxtcxzo

Tbfxtcxzo Plus

I would like in the Vimeo version to have a warning message like: "Warning if you remove your video from this group you will not be able to add it back to this group for 6 - 12 months" A conduct seen on many groups on Vimeo is to remove and add back videos in order to get displayed at the first page. The HD Time (group)
Created by Ben has an excellent group description around this behaviour : “ Some members remove their videos very often from the group to add them again and again and again.... I know everyone wants to show their videos (in front), but please don't do this.”
but then not all are reading group descriptions.

piuzre

piuzre

The feedback we've received has been OVERWHELMINGLY positive!
There's no path back. All people like the new Vimeo only YOU don´t like it.
The New Vimeo is here to stay. We will not be going back to the old design.
Several million people are using the New Vimeo everyday. Since we've rolled out the new site, there has been an increase in usage.

Give it a shot, we think it'll grow on you.

keirux

keirux

"All people like the new Vimeo only YOU don´t like it." -> Me neither

Tobago Films

Tobago Films PRO

Hi,
I would like to be able to see much more videos on my Videos page, maybe with much smaller thumbails or longer page
I can only have 12 per page which is really not enough, I have so many videos to upload, sort, create portfolio from etc...

Also, if it could be possible to sort by description (so that I can sort by director actually...)

Also, If you could had a nice feature for sending portfolios rather than copy paste the link to it.

also, if client could download if needed the portfolio would be great too

Ronald L Grimes

Ronald L Grimes Plus

I'm not happy that the new Vimeo doesn't let me choose the video that provides the thumbnail for an album. I want a consistent thumbnail, not one that changes with every new upload. Any chance that you will give users control over choosing it? Ron

Legacy Partners Commercial

Legacy Partners Commercial

I was wondering if Vimeo currently supports Blackberry phones or if there are any plans to add that support in the future.

Javier Rey

Javier Rey Plus

For me the new Vimeo is OK with respect to watching and following videos, but it is honestly NOT OK with respect to following discussions in the groups. With the old Vimeo, I could easily follow the discussions because the last comment on a particular thread made the thread appear first in the list. Now, the first in the list is the last started thread, even if many other threads have been commented after the start of the last thread. This is really not operative. I have to manually scan all the threads to see which have changed or have comments added. This is not good and makes me miss the old Vimeo. Can you guys of the support team do something about this?
Thanks a lot in any case for this useful site and your efforts to improve it.
Javier

keirux

keirux

I wish the old "discover" features back, now I don´t know how to find featured videos, recently liked videos and popular videos. Currently the experiencie of "explore" vimeo is quite frustrating.

Philippe Broers

Philippe Broers Plus

Yeah Admit it! It s crap! Personaly I know I make crap, i m not scared to admit it, it s a strength,
denial is a weakness
TALK!

PavlovaLena

PavlovaLena Plus

Please give me possibility to use the old style of the VIMEO. The new design is UGLY.

+1

Ricky Br

Ricky Br

Vimeo Staff, now the new vimeo have 10 days and my channel have more 2 followers....it's a strange situation, I belive that my channel increase 30 or 50 new followers in the same time...explain to me what's happen in vimeo now...or the vimeo locked my channel or the people don't like a new style.

Very nice weekend,
Ricks Brasil.

Barbecue

Barbecue Plus

I am very troubled about the "new" Vimeo.
As I pay for the service I feel that I can speak free.
I do not want the new change!

Mario Ferreira

Mario Ferreira

Miss the old Vimeo!

I CANNOT SHARE A VIDEO !!!! I only can 'Like' it on Facebook (which is not share!!!!) and one time only!

To the staff: can you fix/change this PLEASE? Thanks.

Buescher Family

Buescher Family

Is there a way to let family have access to my Vimeo but under a different password so they can not accidently or purposely delete or change anything I have uploaded? If this is not a feature, I would like to request it. I am in process of uploading ALL our home video for the last 20 years... Hoping your website will be forever... as this is one way I am safekeeping it... I do not want our private home videos to be publicly available so the acct is set to private.. I need to find a way to share the video acct in its entirety without worrying that someone in the family could delete any of the work I put into this.. Thank you

Kevin Sweeney

Kevin Sweeney Staff

Hi Bueschers! Multiple logins per account is not something we currently support. Did you know that you can share videos with only your contacts? One solution to your specific use case would be to create two accounts: one that you manage and upload videos to, and the second that has a shared password (for everyone else) which has access to the videos you upload on the first account. Let us know if you need more help with the privacy settings!

Carlo Rey Barot

Carlo Rey Barot Plus

I edit videos for a studio that will be hosting a weekly series of videos on vimeo. We have new videos being uploaded almost everyday. Because of this, we have about 400 videos in our account and that number is growing. We kept track of these videos by using the scrolling window appeared just to the right of a video on the page and easily referred to them by the numbers given to them in the cue. Since this feature has been taken away, it has been hard referring to videos and easily finding them. Is there anyway to bring this numbering system back?

Thanks!

keirux

keirux

Ok, after all these post I have seen that many people is complaining about this new design...conclusion? Easy, something is wrong.

Jonathon Beaver

Jonathon Beaver

It's really annoying me how we're still getting overlooked and the staff clearly are reading this thread (but ignoring the unhappy users) as they are replying to certain comments. Selective reading?!

Heavy Bubble

Heavy Bubble

CREATE TOPICS!

This thread is an example of cultural disfunction.

I just scrolled through a whole bunch of stuff that I wasn't interested in just to leave this comment. Why not have threads that pertain to certain issues. Why are technical specs and performance being discuseed in the same place as the visual layer or UI/UX.

I want to be able to be more specific in feedback I'm not sure I even want to discus features yet. I'm more interested in USABILITY. Then if I can find what I want I could look at what I can do now that I couldn't do before.

This major redesign and new business focus on "creating video" using Vimeo's tools has created confusion from a user point of view. Let's see if there is a way to create a new thread.

Vimeo staff cannot distinguish between USABILITY and FUNCTIONALITY. They think that the two are interchangeable. They should be focused on usability, I agree. The only way Vimeo can nail down usability (and be extension- succeed) is with honest dialogue and a true desire to go back to the drawing table to bring back what we love about Vimeo.

Allan Tépper & TecnoTur LLC

Allan Tépper & TecnoTur LLC

Please support 48kHz (48 kHz) audio. It's the international standard for audio for digital, including HD cameras, DVD, Blu-ray, digital tape formats like Digital Betacam, D9, HDCAM, HDCAM-SR and more. Thank you!

FORT.

FORT.

A save setting button for adding columns in the stats page is like a good idea!
and answers from the staff is a nice one...

Nate Cartier

Nate Cartier Plus

1) Upload conversion failures: never had those until last week, now they happen 1 out of 3 videos. The silly thing is, I can still download my own file that I uploaded. To get it to work again on the site, I have to replace the video file. If the site can tell me there is an error with the video, than it should have no problem starting the coversion again automatically it seems to me.

1b)I understand last week there were some server issues that were causing long conversion queues. Is there a reason you cannot create a widget/app/media player plugin that would allow my computer to do the conversion for you? You could offload all of this strain on the servers my having your users' computers do the work. I suppose this may have something to do with proprietary streaming technology you don't want released into the wild?

2) Changing video settings: I used to be able to make changes to various settings (embedding, privacy, name) and then hit save once. Now I have to save between each step, which takes more time and is annoying.

3) Changing the embed frame size: I used to be able to set the embed frame size in a preset, now the option is just gone. Seriously?! Fine, I can change the embed code manually but why would you remove this feature? Incomprehensible.

4) You killed the vimeo uploader, which I'd be okay with the new method if 1. It didn't fail so regularly and 2. Allowed me to select multiple videos at once instead of having to choose a file, wait for vimeo to queue it, then choose another video, and after I have my list of videos then I can start the upload. Again, unnecessarily complicated.

----------------------

I understand you are undergoing redesign growing pains, but it seems like as a development team you are systematically stripping features away, which seems like backwards movement. Is there a method to this madness? I really like vimeo for my video hosting, but if you keep removing usability features I will be forced to find another hosting service that has then.

Thanks for your time.

Mike Risick

Mike Risick

1. Allow you to delete videos in the feed. No need to incessantly scroll down to where you left off if you come back a day later or close out the window. I also do not need videos I have watched in my feed either. Oh cool a video relic that I have to scroll past on a dead feed. A live feed is full of new contact not an old, decaying, relic I watched a week ago. Delete function please. I

2. The feed destroys the purpose of like heart and watch later. These are obsolete as the stupid feed will hold it whether I like it, hate it or watch it later. Delete button in the feed. Please!!!

3. Please make the stats interface and settings layout the way the were. Tabbing around is trendy and you will have to change it back. Vimeo users are creators, not the public that are watching things by eternal wordpress scroll down blogs and that need tabs as opposed to the traditional layout before. Like I said before, I am changing my epitaph to read "scroll down." We are not the masses watching youtubes...thought you knew.

4. I will shut up about the new vimeo and get used to the new controls, if you let me delete videos in my feed so that I may organize the content that you are hosting. I just wanted to mention that.

Mark W Brown

Mark W Brown PRO

Hello Andrea,
for me the video size on the screen is way too big. I shoot only Super 8 and was using Vimeo to show employers my cuts and final edits, but the quality of SD film looks awful now on the big screen and i no longer show employers using Vimeo and have created a blog to showcase in stead, which is a shame as i love Vimeo, but don't think i will continue my Plus account until the size is dropped (or the uploader is allowed to decide the size).
it feels the only people the big screen applies to is the big HD films, but i like the idea Vimeo is for all filmmakers and if the viewer wants to see a big screen they can simply click the full screen button.
Please please please revert to old ways x

Roberto Duarte

Roberto Duarte Plus

I wonder what is the use of this thread? ....anyone there? .....hello....hello

FORT.

FORT.

elloooo, loooo, ooooo, ooo

Roberto Duarte

Roberto Duarte Plus

another week has passed and still no one from the staff has been kind enough to peer into this Wailing Wall.....

Roberto Duarte

Roberto Duarte Plus

otra semana mas: definitivamente, si quieres que te ignoren, comenta aquí.

See That Again Video

I would just like to be able to upload a video in the new vimeo. I have been trying now since the locked old vimeo out. This would be a great feature to add. Does anyone have any tips how to get a video uploaded. The staff seems clueless. Very Sad.

Hey Vimeo, do you know that if you click the "Load More Videos" on the beta, you are rendering the footer of your webpage obsolete? That critical footer space for all the important links and information is inaccessible. About 20% of the page is thrown away.. I don't know how your designers/project managers can justify this if they already knew but. it's very unprofessional and is very very disheartening to see such a critical mistake made.. especially on a site like Vimeo.

That's just one of MANY issues that's wrong with the beta. This ofcourse only focuses on the functionality of Vimeo and not the usability. You cannot have functionality without usability. USABILITY > functionality.

Mark W Brown

Mark W Brown PRO

you would think as a PLUS member, who contributes toward the sustainability of Vimeo, that if you were having problems and not receiving what it is you paid for, you would be helped out in some way... or at least acknowledged. HUGE shame.

Mike Risick

Mike Risick

More issues with the feed are if someone you subscribe to uploads video, it goes to your feed. Then if someone you follow or subscribe to likes that, it pops up in the feed again. Come on vimeo, I am falling behind on my video watching because of this mess you created and thought was cool, but copying is only cool in some instances.

Arnold Marko

Arnold Marko

I am moderating the Science group and I was always categorizing the videos into albums. Because I don't have the time always when I confirm a new post, I was doing it every few weeks. With the righthand preview table this was a piece of cake. I could click on the video, look at it, switch the tab,add it to the proper album and switch back to the video thumbnails to choose the next one.

Now I don't do it anymore, because it is just too complicated! First I have to find the video going over several pages (first I have to locate the first new video to add to the albums - so I have to check the properties of each, until I find the last added), clicking the video, getting an almost fullscreen player, scrolling down, choosing "add to", adding it, going back to the thumbnails, scrolling to the next one (have to memorize, what was video was just added) or even change the page number and repeating the whole thing...

So my solution for now is "I am just not doing it anymore, because I was doing it for the free to improve the user experience of my groups members and visitors."... the whole new design is really not an improvement - it is the opposite!

And don't worry, I will not write more messages to this forum, because I can hardly do it with this grey thing, that you probably find readable!

But if you have any interest in the needs of your customers then please give as a chance to choose at least a different skin or something similar... I mean, I love Vimeo, but no love is ethernal...

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

It was so nice before when you sent a link to a video of yours and when your contact clicked on it and went to the (Good Old) vimeo, they could see alongside that video you had some other videos and if they were curious enough or had the time, they might also watch them.
Now it's just one video on one unnecessarily big screen unconnected to other work leaving little or no space for the curious surfer... Boy, did you guys blow something that was good, organic, natural to the medium, and in tune with curiosity!

Charlie Huette

Charlie Huette Plus

Can we talk about the "Embiggen this Image" tooltip? Not a feature request, but a feature compliment: nice one.

Echar Pa'lante

Echar Pa'lante

Hi Andrea. Believe me when I say that I really understand your move to changes and improvement, but you guys at Vimeo must take also into consideration that there's a lot of people depending on features in the new Vimeo layout like the custom date range tab in the stats tool, which is already not working to this day and its giving us lots of problem when explaining why we can't give any statistic so far in a specific month in Vimeo... I do not want to be too whinny or negative, but in order to give us a hand while you fix all this, would you accept a proposal like, I don't know, putting back the prior stats tool that people like myself need urgently while you're fixing all that you guys are fixing?

Link: vimeo.com/forums/help/topic:67330#comment_7305968

Kaleidoscope Productions

Kaleidoscope Productions

In the video settings page, I would like to make changes and switch tabs (Basic, Privacy, Add To, Embed, etc) without having to 'Save Settings' on each individual tab. I'd prefer to modify all settings in all tabs and commit to the changes by clicking 'Save Settings' just once. It saves muck scrolling and clicking and the possibility of accidently not committing changes on one of the tabs.

Otherwise, I like change and am open to the new look.

sensi&

sensi&

with new design my love to vimeo is gone. i do not renew the plus account in the future.
i hate that bigger size of video, i hate hidden stats, i hate new UI. :(

Irani Friend

Irani Friend

Hi sensi& -

Obviously I also am not a fan of the "New Vimeo" but the STATS *can* be made visible - at least to oneself, if not to the general public, by clicking on the "Stats" button. This displays this week's stats, and one can go back week by week - the button for that is a little over to the left... When I log in to my video page, the stats are there by default now, and I believe they stay that way once you have clicked on them to display themselves...

This *is* one aspect of the "New" Vimeo where staff & the coders have listened to the clamo(u)ring of customers and community members for features that were standard in the White/Blue Vimeo, and responded positively.

In my opinion, the new stats *look* nice, but they now take up too MUCH space...but I am grateful to the coders for giving us back Stats (at all ! )...

Pablo Mateo Lobo

Pablo Mateo Lobo

Hi!,
I don't like the new layout, just the big display.

See That Again Video

I would just like to be able to upload a video in the new Vimeo. Its been 4 weeks since I have been able to upload a video. I have yet to be able to upload in the new vimeo. Tried everything. This would be a great feature to work on.

Peter Nichts-und-alles

Video plays decreasing
Yesterday I received an E-Mail from a friend of my (all german spoken) videos with following question: Did you not have much more videos in vimeo earlier?
Isen't it strange? People cant find my videos even if they have opend one. They are missing the video-carussel at the right side, which was visible directely and was allowing to see them without having to look for them.
I'd like the staff to take a look at my stats since the new vimeo has been introduced. The plays are at least 10 times less in erverage, then it used to be. And I can't believe the results anyway. Are these stats really correct? I very rarely receive now plays from Germany, the origin of at least 90 % of the plays before. In between two weeks they were completely decreasing. But in google video my videos can't be overlooked. They are as present as before, when one uses my vimeo name "peteradvaita" or uses my tags for the search. I have really no explanation for this. I'll give you a overview of my video stats (weekly) of the plays (listed in the stats today) backwards in time till end of this year: 35/64/45/73/46/36/51///137/95/147/363/565/266/374/764/479
/420/542/397/661/452/465/... Isen't obvious here that something is going wrong? I'll be glad for any reasonable explanation. Thank you in advance.

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

I have to agree.
It was great having the full list of your videos so accessible and available for the friendly browser, people who came to watch one and stayed to watch another
Bring it back.
+
I think I've just realised why everything is so big in bad new vimeo.
Is it because they are redesigning to favour handset viewers?
Omigod! What is the world coming to when we are favouring watching films on phones.

Peter Nichts-und-alles

AlegG replied to TiredEyes to weeks ago:
vimeo.com/forums/feature_requests/topic:67153
"The way my stats have been waning tells me that it's a general problem.
Most relevantly I think the new "More Videos" tab is the greatest culprit, hiding a member's other videos of course reduces exposure, and even if people notice or bother to open the tab it's more cumbersome to navigate than the previous video list on the side."

Edward Getley

Edward Getley Plus

I have to agree with Peter. I have offered comments/suggestions further down in this topic.

Flay

Flay

Just one thing – please, add the "top videos" list, sorted by the number of likes (just as in the old design).

AND/OR add sorting by the number of likes everywhere

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

I think I've just realised why everything is so big in bad new vimeo.
Is it because they are redesigning to favour handset viewers?
Omigod! What is the world coming to when we are favouring watching films on phones.

Willian Aleman

Willian Aleman PRO

Please, add to this:

- Optional to arrange videos manually in homepage, as it is in "Portfolio" interface
- The option to disable full screen in homepage, not just to have it for "embed" videos
- Three feature videos for Pro users, as it was in preview interface. Why to have less, only two in the new interface?
- HD video display in proper native size. They are still appearance as 640 x 360 in "Portfolio" interface.
As a Pro client, if all the issues the new interface has brought are not fixed by the time of the end period of my account. I'm not going to renew. We need to move on.

Irani Friend

Irani Friend

Austin Briggs - a Vimeo customer / community member - posted about the Creative Communities of the World -

creativecow.net/ Don't know, but it might be worth investigating...

marc planas

marc planas Plus

I absolutly agree with William Aleman... you have to make this changes, if you don't I'll not renew my account again.
does anybody knows about alternatives to vimeo?

Fractal Circus

Fractal Circus

I think it's clear the staff turned their noses up at us. When someone finds a better alternative, please do everyone a favor and post the link here. There's no more reason to give Vimeo anymore money if they don't give you what you want in return.

Edward Getley

Edward Getley Plus

In the old (ahhh, the fond memories...) Vimeo when non-members used to visit my page I believe they were taken to a page showing all my videos- the latest ones first, maybe 12 or so thumbnails I think, and then directly under that the page numbers to move to the next page of my vids, jump to another page, etc. They came to see my vids and a ton of vids they got.
Now, with the new Vimeo, it just shows the last 4 vids uploaded and then Recently Followed, and then Recent Activity under that. Sure, if the visitor takes the time to look around the page they might notice the text line on the right for all my 415 videos and decide to click on it to get to my other videos. I kinda think they might think- hmmmm... only 4 vids and none of those interest me and what do I care about who he is following and his recent activity, I'm outta here.
I want people to see my humble efforts and have quick and easy access to all my vids. I looked all through settings, etc, and have not found any way to set up a default view that is centered on my vids and does not include info that non-members may not be interested in. Sure, paid members and maybe free members too may know to click on the text link on the right to get to my other vids but many may not.
Please, give us more control. At the very least give the PAID members more control. We are paying so we have made an investment in this and that shows we are dedicated. Heck, I'd even be willing to pay an extra $10 per year to have a lot more control over how my logged-in and non logged-in (visitors) pages look.
Your kind consideration and resolution would be greatly appreciated.

Peter Nichts-und-alles

I agree completely with you. This was one my critical statements in other words. I cannot understand, why we are not listend. My vids have at least 10 times less plays (exactly for your mentionend reasons) since this so called "new" (but not better) vimeo has been established.

Corey Fischer

Corey Fischer Plus

This thread has the whiff of a parody of a Sam Beckett play: Waiting for Vimeot. Here we sit in a barren landscape with a lone, empty pillarbox standing mute and inscrutable on the horizon. We must have the courage to speak the truth: Vimeo, if it exists, ain't gonna appear. We are alone in this meaningless universe, SD creatures never able to fill the gaping maw of the HD player. < )-:D

Irani Friend

Irani Friend

Ah, but Beckett was, of course, FUNNY ! ! ! Oh well, even if Vimeot NEVER shows up, at least we all have the satisfaction of knowing that we were / are COOL and we HAVE PLAYed / PLAY NICE(ly)....

Corey Fischer

Corey Fischer Plus

"Ah, but Beckett was, of course, FUNNY ! ! !"
"And what am I, chopped liver?" [rimshot]

Irani Friend

Irani Friend

"Don't answer that ! " [laughter spontaneously erupts]

David Lena

David Lena Plus

Currently, I am sharing the link to my "videos" page below so that anyone can see the breadth of my work instantly. The videos are arranged in a specific order. As there is no way to re-organize the videos, I was faced with having to delete several and re-upload the videos in their proper order. This is very time consuming, and as you know, it also deletes any record of statistics, likes, and comments to those videos deleted. When you can, please allow for an easy way to re-order the videos as the user chooses.

Link: vimeo.com/iconicvision/videos

Raffaella Traniello

Raffaella Traniello Plus

I happily use ALBUMS to get that feature. I can easily re-organize the videos of mine once they are collected in a dedicated album.

Anjo Crisostomo

Anjo Crisostomo

Hi! I'm new here in Vimeo and I think a lot of the people here are being ignored.

The viewing size is way too big.
HD is still too demanding for viewers too appreciate it in that scale.

Video sizes should be similar to the embedded "vimeo staff picks".

Hope this can be fixed with a few additions on presentation options.

Corey Fischer

Corey Fischer Plus

The only explanation for staff silence on the many requests and/or complaints about the "new" Vimeo is that somewhere in Vimeo's management structure (about which I know nothing) a statistical analysis was made and it showed that the number of users expressing dissatisfaction in these forums is, in relation to the total number of users, statistically insignificant. We simply do not count.

AleG

AleG

The conclusion I reached is that it's better for Vimeo's bottom line to "incentive" people to upload HD videos.

Alec Crichton

Alec Crichton

1. FORWARD and BACKWARD ARROWS as a simple way to NAVIGATE VIDEOS

When watching videos of one user one after the other one needs to go up to the menu and choose a video, the scrolling option is great, but maybe it could be even simpler! Additional to opening the navigation menu at the top, could we please have FORWARD and BACKWARD ARROWS to the left and right of the video display? They could appear on hovering left or right of the video. This would be a very SIMPLE, but EFFECTIVE way of navigating through multiple videos of a single user.

Link: vimeo.com/1198923

2. OPTIONAL NAVIGATION DISPLAY (always visible)

Another useful feature would be to make it optional to have the top menu "Always visible" by default, that way a lot of users, who want to see all videos by one artist, could have the menu simply always visible, without having to scroll up or make it appear. Hiding the Navigation is contra productive for those who want to actually use it all the time in order to see all videos by one user. It might break the Design, but optional would be OK, no?

CommUNITYChurchTV

CommUNITYChurchTV PRO

There seems to be nothing I can do to make the "Share" or "Embed" buttons to work from the "Hubnut" widget. Either fix them or remove them. There isn't even a way to remove them from the html code.

Blake Hodges

Blake Hodges Plus

Hey Vimeo, sorry if this has been already been addressed. I've read through a bunch of the posts but not all.

My main request is for MORE SUPPORT OF 1080 RESOLUTION VIDEO.

As of this writing, it appears to me that 1080 is not exactly encouraged by Vimeo. For example, in the Recommended Settings section, there is no recommended data rate for 1080 video. 5k Data/sec is great for 720 but not for 1080. I have seen a recommendation from Vimeo staff in response to a user inquiry with recommended settings for 1080, but why not make it official policy?

Additionally, it is my understanding that when a 1080 video is uploaded, it is set, by default, at 720 resolution. How come? I hate to say it, but I think YouTube has this situation right. They encourage an upload at the fullest resolution possible, and they tailer the playback to the user and/or allow the user to decide the playback resolution based on screen size and bandwidth.

Does Vimeo have plans to do something like this? (other than HD ON or HD OFF)

I know this probably all comes down to a server storage capacity/bandwidth issue, but at the end of the day, people want to watch videos at the highest resolution possible. I wouldn't be surprised if YouTube started offering 2k and 4k resolution options in the next couple of years.

Overall, I think the Vimeo user experience would be much stronger if Vimeo was a bit more flexible with video resolution upload/playback. Sorry if these thoughts are pointless or redundant. I love Vimeo, I've been using it for a while, and I'm always excited to see it improve. Thank you.

Giacomo Sardelli

Giacomo Sardelli

YouTube does already have the 2/4k resolution options. What you need to do is just upload the file and it will come in its original size as well as 1080, 720, 480 and so on...
I'm planning to post my best videos, the most good looking and stunning on vimeo, because the vimeo community is faboulous, but I'd love to have the option to see my videos at their max resolution (i'm editing a 2k video right now). I'm not going youtube, because I think that it's not the place for nice artistic videos, but I'm waiting for better resolution control features on vimeo.

Philippe Broers

Philippe Broers Plus

maybe in tim reintroduce the old vimeo as "new new vimeo " would be a great change because of all the improvements it would bring.
Sarcasm, sarcasm,
Kind a like the vimeo uploader which is looking like it s coming back some day.

Kevin Sweeney

Kevin Sweeney Staff

Hi Broers, We have a lot of uploader improvements coming out in the next month. Stay tuned!

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

we're currently testing our advanced uploader. If you've uploaded anything within the past week you've used it: vimeo.com/upload

it chunks uploads to make the process more reliable.

Philippe Broers

Philippe Broers Plus

Kinda..
Actually it seems that it can take hits like disconnections and bad internet lines, so far so good .
I can't complain. ( I m a natural born complainer)

Philippe Broers

Philippe Broers Plus

Now i complain! Where is the uploader you talk about ? I mean something apart from browsers based ? Like the real uplader we had and that worked in the end for a little time before you killed it ?
I wonder why you even would call the uplading page an uplader at all.
it s just a page in a browser.
Too many upload fails, it s getting ridiculous and brain damaging the last few days.
If you call that improvement...

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Our official uploader is browser based, however it is a "real uploader", it uses the same system the desktop uploader would use if it was still available, except it's far more advanced now.

You don't have to do anything special to use the new uploader either, just visit vimeo.com/upload as usual. If you're having issues please post here: vimeo.com/forums/help/topic:16738

Mike Rainey

Mike Rainey Plus

Feature Request: Please display videos by default in a player that is close to the size of the originally uploaded video. Upscaling SD videos to 950px wide (or whatever) is incomprehensible. It looks terrible and it's harming the morale and loyalty of your user base.

NWEEI

NWEEI PRO

Easy Feature Request for Statistics -- Really!
I'd like to see what my actual bandwidth usage is. In other words, how much bandwidth (total KB) has been streamed from the account. The stats area contains "plays" and "Loads" but both are sitewide and there's no way to convert that information into actual Kilobytes (or Terabytes) delivered to the player.

If I go to Advanced Stats / Most Played Videos, you can get some idea of how much bandwidth is being used but that screen doesn't include 'finishes' nor does it have a way to export that list to make a quicker manual calculation.

This isn't rocket science. Even if you had enough data to make a good guess. Take the amount of plays x file size for that video x correction factor for SD, HD or mobile x a number based on the ratio of loads vs actual plays (looking for how many partial loads) -- or something similar.

If that all seems too complicated -- just provide the means to download the total plays for each video. vimeo.com/stats/browse/sort:total_plays so that a manual calculation is possible. Oh and while your at it, move the "total file storage" details for the account into the statistics section (makes more sense doesn't it? :-)

Link: vimeo.com/stats/browse/sort:total_plays

Roberto Duarte

Roberto Duarte Plus

Would be good to let users decide what information you put yourself on the main page, for example, not showing "recently uploaded videos" would leave room to put at least 4 featured videos.

The main page should not necessarily work as an activity report, in my opinion one must decide what to display, for many different reasons, a recently uploaded video might be not as important as other uploaded before.

Personalization is a key thing, everybody has different necessities when showing or displaying work on a main page.

Philippe Broers

Philippe Broers Plus

When i click on a video in the top video banner, nothing happens, it just turns grey, and i have to reload to get to the video ? why why why?

Peter Nichts-und-alles

I just wanted to report the same matter. I hope this bug will be repaired soon, because it's essential. I was just so happy, that the video banner now is shown automaticly. This is one of things, I was asking to be changed since longer time.
I have to add, that the hide videos button also doesn't function. I anyway don't think, that it's needed at all. But why is it still there?

Philippe Broers

Philippe Broers Plus

Still not posssible to erase what i dont like in my shoutbox!
Please add a check box or something like in the old vimeo.

Calamari Productions

Calamari Productions PRO

Just thought I'd add my voice to the mix: most of the updates to the Vimeo layout and user experience have been steps backward. That, coupled with the pandemic of crawling upload times, makes me really concerned about who's steering the ship these days. Very troubling (for long-standing, paid users)...

Roboticon

Roboticon

Likes and Watch Later do not transfer to ROKU in New Vimeo. The OLD Vimeo had these features working perfectly.
Please do not force us to switch versions if you can't maintain functionality!!
The New Vimeo version should ENHANCE and ADD features - NOT take them away, and send us back in time, as far as Vimeo's features are concerned.
Even worse, the SEARCH function on the ROKU finds a small fraction of the videos that are on Vimeo. And these are not videos that will not play on the ROKU, this is just a glitch in the SEARCH command. I have (after much scanning of files) seen that these videos are all available, and will play on ROKU - but the SEARCH function is just returning a tiny fraction of the videos I search for.
This is a HUGE STEP BACKWARDS!

Philippe Broers

Philippe Broers Plus

Not sure of the dates but i would like to have a minute of silence in the memory of the old vimeo
May he return one day.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.