Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hey folks,

Because the feed is exactly what it sounds like – a feed of videos – it is not the same as what we had in old Vimeo, which is to say an Inbox. The nature of a feed is that the content is always changing and therefore we don't believe it makes sense to remove videos from.

You can alter anything that appears in your Feed from your Feed Manager: vimeo.com/feedmanager

That said, we will always be open to feedback on how to improve this, and if it becomes possible for us to allow for the individual removal of videos, we'll let users know.

Greg Vaughan

Greg Vaughan Plus

In the new version of Vimeo, there appears to be no way to remove videos from "my feed". As a result, they continue to accumulate until the feed window becomes unwieldy and of no value. In the old version, there was a simple red "X" button to remove videos, which served as a quick way to edit down to the videos I wanted to watch. What gives with this feature? Will it be re-implemented in the new version? I've asked about this several times with no response. Staff, are you listening?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Hello Greg. This was addressed in few other threads but basically it was done to increase the performance of the My Feed. Keeping track of all the X'd videos per user at our scale has become very taxing and negatively affecting the load time of the My Feed.

Greg Vaughan

Greg Vaughan Plus

Soxiam, other support team responses have indicated there would be some kind of fix in the future. You don't mention this at all, leaving me to wonder whether anything will be done or not. Can you please tell us what, if anything is going to be done to reinstate the ability to delete videos from our feeds, and when?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

We will have to spend some more time on it to see if we can add this feature. As I stated above, right now, something like this will have pretty significant impact on the home page performance.

Jeff Croghan

Jeff Croghan

Yeah but now our feed gets cluttered with old videos we have already watched, or we have to continuously look at videos that we have no interest in. Allowing us the simple use of a big red X to get rid of the videos is the way most of us stay up to date on our video watching. I don't want to have to continuously scroll through videos I have already seen to get to new content. please bring back the ability to delete a video from my feed. I barely watch videos on vimeo anymore because of this.

Greg Vaughan

Greg Vaughan Plus

Jeff, thanks for weighing in on this issue. The inability to delete videos from our feeds renders that feature a waste that no long provides value. Videos just continue to pile up in my feed, so there is no way to use it as a tool for managing videos. Hopefully, others share our complaint and will also express their frustration with the support team.

Edward Getley

Edward Getley Plus

Although I didn't use the X in the old Vimeo I understand what you mean and think the old way was better and more useful and the new Vimeo seems more about looks and lowering the bar to the YT level.
Perhaps there could at least be the free version of Vimeo where the Vimeo staff could set it up any way they want and then have, for the paid members, a more sophfiscated and professional looking, user oriented version where the paid customer could have more control of their site. Just trying to give Vimeo some possible options since they are so staunchly committed to this new version.

erich meyer

erich meyer

As a lowly moderator, i find my Feed annoying when after removing videos from my group for not belonging, that they remain on my Feed. Right now my Feed shows twelve videos as being added to the group I moderate, eight of them I have removed in the past 24 hours, but they still sit there.

DarkSupra

DarkSupra

Same here, i really hate that i can't remove any videos in my feed. It's a reason why i spend a lot less time on Vimeo and also why i miss a lot of new videos. I don't want to scroll in a big list of video's that i already watched or have no intrest in every time i visit my feed.

artoix

artoix

+1 for this issue. Actually I've created the same issue just after new design was implemented as that was the only major inconveniece to me in new design. The reply was this feature will be back. But several months passed and it is still not here.
My feed is the primary way I've always used Vimeo and it is a complete headache to use it now. Truly now I'm using it less frequently as don't want to scroll through watched videos.
Please bring it back. I don't think the savings in performance it gives are worth the UX flaws caused by it's lack.

Ian Farnsworth

Ian Farnsworth

I don't even mind the old videos coming back as much, I just wish there was a way to remove videos that have a 'provocative' preview image that might not be appropriate to show up while I'm at work... Would love this feature to come back. Would even love a 'remove for X time button' because I might forget about a video after a few months, and wouldn't mind seeing it again, but not a few days after I've already seen it :)

Alexander Buhr

Alexander Buhr

I´m glad to found this one little discussion here and i´m in:
To have no chance to delete not needed/not interesting videos in the feed is rly terrible and annoying.
I still pray (with tears in my eyes!) for a possible fix which wont knocking off vimeos performance.

Arikui

Arikui

Indeed I agree, I'm here because I don't want them either!

Kasper Menten

Kasper Menten

When my feed was still called "inbox" I could remove videos I did't like or already had watched. Now I only use the search function and avoid "the feed" completely.
Why break something that isn't broken and try to follow the broken design of sites like fb and yt?

Philippe Broers

Philippe Broers Plus

quote:"a waste that provides no longer any value" well said Greg. here s mine: Hell is when people hurt you when trying to help.

Greg Vaughan

Greg Vaughan Plus

OK, Vimeo, what's the status on this issue? I just went to My Feed to review videos after about two weeks of not logging on. But, I have no way to sort through them. Some I've already watched, but can't quite remember which ones because it was weeks ago. Others, I know right off I don't want to watch, but there's no way to remove them. I'm forced to scroll through pages and pages of videos, some of which I've already see, and no way to filter the list by deleting ones I don't want to watch. Here are the two requests:

1) Allow users a way to delete videos from My Feed
2) Remove, or clearly mark, videos already watched from My Feed

I raised these issues 11 months ago and the problems persist. What can we expect in terms of greater control over our My Feed?

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Greg,

As Sox mentioned, keeping track of this would tax homepage performance greatly. Also, the nature of a Feed is that the content is ever-changing – it's not an "inbox" like in Old Vimeo. While I cannot speak to whether or not we are going to change this, you can do some other things to help navigate your Feed better:

1. Use the Watch Later button to add videos you'd like to watch to your Watch Later tab. Then you can go through and see only the videos you want to watch in a list.

2. Sort by uploaded, liked, etc. We offer sorting options at the top of the Feed so you can weed out what you're looking for. I often sort by Uploaded so I can see the videos from the users I'm following.

Greg Vaughan

Greg Vaughan Plus

Matt, thanks for the suggestions, but they don't work to provide the kind of control that we've been asking for in many posts over the past year. Watch later - I tried this as you suggested. Now, I've got a group of videos I know I want to watch, but the feed remains unchanged. Even the videos I flagged to watch later still show up in the feed. And, since I can't remember if I added them to "watch later", I end up having to spend time previewing a little of them all over again. Meanwhile, My feed grows and grows with videos I may or may not want to watch. Sorting does nothing to help, it just changes the order. I've already set sort to "most recent", and I too use the Uploaded feature. Oh, and only videos from users I'm following, or groups, I'm following, show up in my feed, so sorting them differently doesn't change the content at all. My feed needs to be raised in priority and redesigned to be more useful for us.

Greg Vaughan

Greg Vaughan Plus

Vimeo, where do things stand regarding issues with the feed. The users should have more control over it. There are groups I want to join, but I don't want to follow because my feed gets cluttered with videos from this group I don't want to see. Are you forcing us to leave groups as a backwards way to control the feed? Makes no sense. It also makes absolutely no sense that we can't delete videos from the feed. You said you were working on giving us this control again, but nothing has changed in over a year. Please, give us an update and feed changes we can expect.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Greg,

The big difference between the old Vimeo and new is the introduction of the Feed. The feed is exactly what it sounds like – a feed of videos. It is not what we had in old Vimeo, which is to say an Inbox. The nature of a feed is that the content is always changing and therefore makes no sense to remove videos from.

When it comes to control over what appears here, you have most of it. You can alter anything that appears in your Feed from your Feed Manager: vimeo.com/feedmanager

From here you can still be a member of groups but choose not to see updates from them. The same goes for Channels, albums, tags, or other users. We feel this is a pretty significant level of control.

Greg Vaughan

Greg Vaughan Plus

OK, Matt, let's do this in a very simple way. When is Vimeo going to allow us to delete video from our feed?

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Greg,

Sorry if this wasn't clear, but per my answer above we have no immediate plans.

Greg Vaughan

Greg Vaughan Plus

I just wonder what the results would be if you polled Vimeo members, asking "Would you like the ability to delete videos from your Feed?" I suspect most would welcome this change.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Greg,

We're always open to feedback but one thing Vimeo has always been clear about is our belief in a certain type of experience. Polling aside, we won't implement features if we don't agree with them, regardless of how much they are requested.

That said, we're not necessarily against this, it's just not something we see warranting a change right now.

Torch

Torch

Before reading all the verbage above.. i was trying to figure out what My Feed is all about.. i look at the videos in my feed(AppleTv) and they aren't from anyone i follow.. so how does it make it into my feed.. in fact i can't find the videos that should be there from one of the like 12 i "follow". Why is there a My Feed if it really isn't my feed .. but looks like I'm being fed videos someone else thinks i should watch.. the other major online video service.. its pretty plain.. and easy to navigate.. this is just like walking through quicksand... before you know it.. your up to your eyeballs in sand and screaming to get out... the only way i can find videos from the people i Follow ..(browser) is Me -> Following.. The only good that the Apple TV vimeo app is good for is searching... thats it.. Feeds do nothing.. can't even find who i follow. #aggravated. #rant #nowover

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.