LYON

LYON PRO

We posted a video in HD (720p) months ago. Recently visited it on vimeo, and it has changed to SD. Any ideas why this would happen?

Link: vimeo.com/28021752

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

That video was never in HD. To encode in HD your video needs to be at least 1280px wide.

LYON

LYON PRO

Are you 100% sure about that? I may be going crazy (entirely possible), but we are pretty sure it was 1280x720. And since posting, we've found many other videos that seem to be turning to SD too. We can start re-uploading files in any event.

Thanks for your help.

LYON

LYON PRO

Ok it's official. I'm going crazy. Thanks for your help.

LYON

LYON PRO

Actually, the plot thickens a bit: I uploaded the video at 1280x720--it went through the upload and conversion process, but still appears on the site as standard def--even though it now gives the option to download the HD original.

LYON

LYON PRO

Thanks. Do you think something like this could've happened more than once? We end to post an early version of a video in SD, then replace it with an HD version when it's done. Perhaps there's a bug in the way the site is handling this?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

I think the problem is only with this clip. The HD version encoded correctly but isn't displaying at all. I'm going to have a developer look at this.

LYON

LYON PRO

Thanks Tommy. FYI I'm also in an email exchange with Darnell W about this issue. Would you prefer that we consolidate into just the forum or just email for this issue?

By the way, here are a few of the many links where we are pretty sure we updated the source files to 720p.

vimeo.com/9929858
vimeo.com/14489613
vimeo.com/28316269
vimeo.com/37613790
vimeo.com/29349116

Again, we don't have scientific documentation on this, but we're pretty sure we did upload 720p files. Worth looking into, anyway.

Have a great weekend.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi there, I took a look and it appears that none of those videos were 720p. The originals were all 854x480. Sorry for the confusion.

LYON

LYON PRO

Thanks for taking a look. It's definitely odd. We will replace them with 720p files and see what happens.

LYON

LYON PRO

Before we start the laborious process of re-uploading, can you give me the status on the original file that prompted this issue--we uploaded a 720 version, but it's still showing up at SD res on the site. Here's the link:

vimeo.com/28021752

Thank you.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Our devs are looking into it now, the HD version should be available momentarily.

LYON

LYON PRO

Yay. That appeared to work. Thanks for the help. Should this happen again, is there anything we can do to fix it?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Now that we fixed the bug on our end, it shouldn't happen again, and if it does we'll be able to fix it quickly. Just notify us if it does. Cheers!

Windward

Windward PRO

We're having this same issue - I am uploading an HD video and its scaled to the correct size but looks fuzzy and if you turn off scaling its regular definition. Am I doing something wrong or is this the same bug?

Link: vimeo.com/43978984

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi there, that video is 960x540. Your video must be either exactly 960x720 or have at least 1280 pixels wide to be encoded to HD.

Windward

Windward PRO

Ah, gotcha, I'll talk with the video guys, thanks Ian!

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.