Derek Davis

Derek Davis

I wasn't sure where to post this comment, but I figured that editing and computers go hand-in-hand.
I am in dire need of some advice. With the recent upgrade to the macbook pro, I am stumped on which model to buy. I am a filmmaker, and of course, I need a nice machine to help me edit. From my understanding, the latest macbook pro can not be upgraded or modified after purchase, but it's retina display could potentially help me with how the edit looks (and its beauty:), and it offers an hdmi out which would be really simple to hook up an external monitor (in case I need a reference or anything else.) But on the flip side, the older model macbooks were upgraded with the latest processor and graphic cards as well, and it helps that they are not as expensive. They also will allow easier repairs and upgrades if necessary, but I am planning on buying either model with 8 gbs of ram. I can't imagine needing any more on a laptop.
What are your opinions or advice on the matter? I am leaning more towards the new retina display model, but I am terrified that something will go wrong. Then I will have to pay full price for another one.
Regardless of which macbook pro that I get, it will be incredible, and I am grateful that I am even getting one. I am going to college this upcoming fall, and I could not be more thankful to my amazing parents.

SlowBow

SlowBow Plus

Kind of Devils advocate here. Your display will be for your use only, most others are still watching lower definition monitors. Doing a quick comparison of the two at Apples site, you'll find that the two types are virtually the same, with the retina display models costing a whole lot more for just a tad more resolution. Given the expected life of the mechanism is only 5 or 6 years, you'd probably be better off with the standard display, a good long extended warranty, and you'd still be paying less. That said, it is sometimes nice to get the latest tech. Then again, if you getting it right away, theres no real time frame to discover potential problems that may surface with new tech, and you'll be the bug tester.

Derek Davis

Derek Davis

Very true. I am torn between the two model. I am not sure what to do just yet. From all the information that I have been reading, the retina display could potentially help with with more accurate colors, but then again, the lack of upgrade-ability worries me. It is suppose to cost 200 dollars to replace the battery through Apple if the user charges it too often, and I am not sure if I can upgrade the flash memory if I needed to.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.