Peter Quiambao Jr.

Peter Quiambao Jr.

As both a HUGE fan of Vimeo and the service they provide free of charge and a hardcore gamer, I am extremely conflicted over this decision. I use my Vimeo account to showcase videos that I made to help express myself artistically and to enjoy the creative expressions of my fellow Vimeo members. I understand that video game content tends to be longer that most of the content on Vimeo, but banning it because it puts more stress on your equipment is unfair to video game. I do not want to suggest lowering your upload limit, but I'd rather have you guys do that instead of banning a specific genre of content.

Also, citing the ban of video game content for a "lack of creative expression" (with the exception of Machinima) shows a lack of respect and knowledge for the time and skill it takes to put these videos together. For example, a well put together montage that displays a person's skill in particular game is not that different from Jordan Clarke's "Human Movement In Light," which is extremely popular on Vimeo and a favorite video of mine. Both have someone showcasing his or her talents. Both involve create editing. Both take a lot of time and effort to put together.

Also, one might argue that the majority of video game content does not have the previously mentioned qualities of a good video. However, the same could be said for most of the content on Vimeo period. It takes a lot of work to make a high quality video, and if the majority of video game content doesn't live up to that kind of standard, video game content on Vimeo as a whole shouldn't suffer for it.

Ordinal Malaprop

Ordinal Malaprop

I am very concerned about this. I use Vimeo for nothing other than showing cinema based on source material taken from Second Life (which is of course not a game but I doubt the difference will be noted). I have also spent some time promoting Vimeo over other video hosting sites as I have always felt that it provided a much better service and environment.

Paragraphs such as:

"We currently do not feel that Machinima films fall under the category of gaming videos described above and, therefore, assuming compliance with our site's general terms & conditions, we will continue to accept such videos on Vimeo. We are not, at this time, banning films that fall into the Machinima genre."

do not really reassure me - there are far too many "at this time"s there.

If the issue is that people are dumping enormous video files into Vimeo and it can't cope with it then by all means change the way the upload cap works, but quite frankly even if I were to record an hour of my wandering around Second Life and doing nothing of interest then upload that, it would be just as "valid" as somebody who uploaded themselves wandering around the place where they lived or an hour of them playing with their cat.

thaumata

thaumata

I couldn't say it more eloquently than Ordinal, but I do agree with her whole heartedly.

ZoeConnolly

ZoeConnolly

I agree with Ordinal Malaprop. I too use Second Life (SL) as an engine to create machinima.

This is extremely disappointing to those of us who create all manner of media using SL as our stage.

Please reconsider this decision.

Ordinal Malaprop

Ordinal Malaprop

In terms _very_ qualified with "at the moment", and you do not define "machinima" either. I am not sure that I can take the risk without a few more details quite honestly.

Eugenia Loli

Eugenia Loli Plus

I think Vimeo did the right thing banning these gaming videos. To me, these are "lesser" videos, not as creative as a short movie is which consists of brand new images and possibly direction. And besides, we need to look at what vimeo really is apart from the random birthday-shooting random shooter: it's a filmmaker's hide out. Many big directors are here with demo reels, while they actually snob youtube. So Vimeo has this underground feel of filmmaking community. And frap games just don't look right here. Not because frap game videos are bad, but because they don't fit here as much.

And by taking away most of the tanscoding servers' time and leaving normal videos out in the cold, I think they had it coming to be removed.

The Mobopolitan

The Mobopolitan

"it's a filmmaker's hide out"

Sorry, but there is pretentious and then there is pretentious.

If Vimeo wants to cut out the pixelated videos because of bandwidth and server space reasons, fine. Maybe they lacked a scalability roadmap.

But having seen the home videos, the talking heads vlogs and the "Look, I filmed a famous person at a convention" vids, please do not use "a certain level of quality" as an excuse.

Peter Quiambao Jr.

Peter Quiambao Jr.

As much as I really appreciate all the work Eugenia has done for both the Vimeo community and the HV20/HV30 community, I have to agree that seeing video game content as lesser videos is pretty pretentious. I can find TONS of extremely dumb videos on Vimeo that really don't live up to your whole "Vimeo is a filmmaker's hideout," but I decided not to put them in my original post cause I didn't want to insult those who uploaded them.

I don't see how DIY dolly videos and a video of a farting naked girl in a bath tub is more artistic than video game montages, which is just like when a band makes a music video. It's people displaying their skills in a creative and artistic manner.

Eugenia Loli

Eugenia Loli Plus

It's not pretentious, it's reality.

When you hold a camcorder in your hand, it is DIFFICULT to direct people or situations to do what you want. Most of the time you have to make a GOOD video out of random situation chaos. That's an art.

The only art in the case of games is the art of the gameplay. Your pawns do exactly what you say, there is no chaos in the direction of your own pawn. And you don't even have a camera to make your work more difficult, you just use a utility to grab a screen -- not to mention that this is copyright infringement when uploaded elsewhere.

So Vimeo made a decision. And this decision is right in my opinion. Vimeo has established itself as the choice of artistic directors -- amateurs and pros. The gaming community doesn't fit in that model.

→Zac Boyet←

→Zac Boyet←

I can't say I enjoy the videos since most of them are pretty boring and not creative in the least aside from those that tell a story but then those are still allowed anyway. That being said I don't have a problem with them on the site I just won't watch them. If they are in danger of comprimising vimeo's quality though it is good they are gone and they won't be missed.

Peter Quiambao Jr.

Peter Quiambao Jr.

I think by the very fact that many people are here complaining about the decision proves that video game content WILL be missed.

Kerry R. Bailey

Kerry R. Bailey

Just because they host videos here doesn't mean it should be a free for all to upload anything & everything.

I believe people think that because youtube does it then everyone else should too. Well, youtube is crap & full of a lot of garbage. And about half the comments are straight up retarded/immature. You guys know its true.

Just saying, you gotta drawl the line at some stuff. Vimeo isnt trying to be another youtube or Stage6, thank God.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

was it removed? i can play this video fine.

Paul Brown

Paul Brown

yea, turns out it was a latency issues realted to the BYOC LAN. It was not removed and plays fine on the internet. Fast and helpful response from the Vimeo support team!

Andreas Hornig

Andreas Hornig

Hi,

we done a video taken from a computer-game to show the result of our tutorial on our site. it's a tutorial about FRAPS and how to use it to screencaputure hd-videos directly in games. to not just present it in textform we added the video, so that people could see something and this video was uploaded here.

it's rather short, because it's just for representing, but I hope it will stay here.

it's not on me judging other video related videos here, I don't know where to draw the line between an artistic approach to videogames or just showng a moving "demo".
but I would like to point out that banning a hole "genre" isn't good.

greets, Andreas

Top City Studios

Top City Studios Plus

Am I guess from this thread that the Vimeo staff does not participate in open discussions?

Andrew Pile

Andrew Pile Staff

We do, but there's nothing new to talk about. This has already been covered in the 900+ responses to the blog post.

ER1CKSON

ER1CKSON

I'm struggling to see how someone making Kraft Dinner in HD is allowed, but, an intricately made video game montage is shunned.

Peter Quiambao Jr.

Peter Quiambao Jr.

Exactly. Watch how people will go to great lengths to explain how that's art and then just dismiss a montage just like that.

ER1CKSON

ER1CKSON

I'd love to hear an explanation from one of the staff members on how boiling water and adding noodles is art...lol.

I can understand video walkthroughs or just a simple game replay with no editing being removed...no problems there. But, they're just lumping anything game related into one gigantic pot. Mind boggling...

I'd rather just hear the plain truth instead of being told it's a resource issue. You can't tell me that the standard def videos I've submitted take up MORE room than an HD video.

I'm sooooo happy I dropped over 2 grand in hardware and software the last month to make Hi-Def montages only to find out that this site will no longer allow them. I might as well have just flushed the 2 grand directly down the toilet.

snaketus

snaketus

I got little pissed off because this, my latest video got removed. I just wondering how my other videos are still in vimeo, they are all about video gaming. Whatta hell is that? Gamers do watch gaming videos, for tips, guides, machinima etc. I will never upload video to this site again. Just need to make my videos under ten minutes in the future so bigger audincies are waiting in certain video site. And someone said there "So Vimeo has this underground feel of filmmaking community. And frap games just don't look right here" Lol, you don't have to watch them! Goodbye, long live vimeo with these policies.

Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees

I've seen silly home-video's and people filming grass in HD. That crap doesn't get removed but I record for hours, edit all of that and I risk getting my video's removed because it's ingame footage?

Peter Quiambao Jr.

Peter Quiambao Jr.

Preaching to the choir buddy, I haven't uploaded any of my footage, but suffice to say, I've put just as much work in my video game footage as I have in my regular footage.

shrox

shrox

I work as an art director of video games. Honestly, posting a video of your gameplay is pretty lame. Read a book, go outside and fly a model airplane. Unless you are showing a bug, or some special trick move that someone else can pick up and use, fine. But just show those few seconds, don't bore the victim, or I mean, viewer with 10 minutes of drek.

Larry Phillips

Larry Phillips

In other words:

9. Talentless live-action hacks dance and gloat like they won a contest, then post arrogant witless replies here just to kick fellow artists / hobbyists while they are down.

joaojotta

joaojotta

Any alternative to vimeo where we can host our gaming videos?

Bobby Charles

Bobby Charles

Banning Video Game content is detrimental to this website. It is an extremely poor decision and I will not flaunt at any opportunity to remove this website from my bar and never visit it again, strongly urging my peers to do the same.

Robert Williams

Robert Williams

Hello, I'm a new user and scoping out the forums and understanding a few of the rules on this website.

I have a question concerning this subject.

Will the upcoming Vimeo+ (pay service), have any effect on the stance Vimeo takes towards Video Game recorded footage/montages? Is leverage present in the circumstance?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

no, it will not have any effect on vimeo's content policy.

BloodShot

BloodShot

Drotara: So long and no one will miss you.

BloodShot

BloodShot

Dude, first off, thanks for the kind words.

2nd, if "they decided that videos of live performances were not acceptable" I would move them to one of the many many other video hosting services. I certainly would not hang around at the place that banned my videos and whine on and on about it.

They announced ahead of time they were going to do this. It's their site, they can do what they want. Move on, man, move on.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.