Joe

Joe

Hello!

I'm new to time lapse. I've got the basics of actually taking the photos...I've got a lot to learn, but this isn't the point of this question!

In converting from individual photos to final product, I lost a LOT of image quality. I'm stumped as to where I made my mistake(s). I converted individual photos to video with Quicktime Pro...video looked great at this point. Upon import into FCPX, video quality was dramatically reduced.

The odd thing is that it looked great in the inspector window as I rolled the pointer across the video in the timeline. However, if I clicked a point on the timeline and hit the spacebar to play the video in the inspector, it looked TERRIBLE. Final export/upload to Vimeo looked better than playing in FCPX, but still at a lower quality than the original video created with Quicktime.

I've got a few more details on my workflow in the description of the video. Please check out the video and let me know if you have any advice!

Link: vimeo.com/45579444

Mikey Steven

Mikey Steven

I'm no expert but the video is being compressed twice by the sounds of it? the output itself on your link though looks pretty sharp if you ask me. I usually import an image sequence into after effects and you can just render it straight out from there, especially if your creating videos that only display the time-lapse itself. Alternatively using premiere you can dynamic link the AE composition straight into your prem timeline without needing to compress it until your done.

Just a tip for the first section of your time-lapse you may want to slow down the shutter speed slightly to show some movement with the cars...it can improve them...but that's up to you.

Joe

Joe

Thanks Mikey....

So, I know the video is compressed when it is uploaded to Vimeo, but where is the other compression?

john cliff

john cliff Plus

first data loss takes place when FCPX conforms your stills (at what MP?) to video size (1920x1280 max) then when you export it from FCPX then again when Vimeo compresses

Jonathan Brimson

Jonathan Brimson

FCPX will always lower the quality of playback in the timeline. That's how you're able to view videos without it having to render. Also check your project settings and the transform settings for the actual timelapse itself.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.