Javier Morgade

Javier Morgade PRO

There should be a way to just password protect the videos without hiding them in Vimeo. That way, the people I am sharing this videos with (clients for aprovals, people from my company, friends or whatever) would just have to remember a password and search in my videos, instead of having to remember also a specific url or follow a specific link.
I can imagine a lot of scenarios in which this would be extremely useful (like providing that info by phone, or face to face, or in whatever situation I don't have internet access)
The way it works right now, an email access from both parts (me and the viewer) is always needed.
I think it shouldn't be like that, or at least have the option to do it or not...
After all, if the video is hidden and only accesible through an unguessable random numbers url, why would you also need a password??

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Hello Javier. We've debated this internally for as long as we had password protected videos. There are a few reasons behind why we chose not to display them for people without the password but the main one is this. Private videos on vimeo are treated with knowledge that some of our users don't even want people without access to even know that he/she has private videos. This means we cannot reveal anything about the videos (thumbnail images, title, description, and other meta data). We know the use case you are describing well and considered it carefully but in the end we've decided it's safe to err on the side of respecting privacy for the content owners.

Javier Morgade

Javier Morgade PRO

What about having an option? Like "Show in Vimeo" or "Hide from Vimeo"

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

In general, we consider the settings page to be one of the most technical and potentially daunting experience for many of our users and make careful decision to add anything unless we believe it adds a lot of benefits to most of the users most of the times. That said, we will consider your suggestion.

Indra 154

Indra 154

Hi Soxiam, I am struggling with this topic and I see that this was a discussion 4 years ago. Have you made any improvements on that? I s there any way I can show my protected videos?

Barb Steele

Barb Steele Plus

I would also love to have the option to hide or show password protected videos! Maybe you could have it default to hidden, and have an extra checkbox if you want to make it visible?

Having the choice would be essential though. I'm an editor, and I like to privately share work in progress cuts with my directors. But I also have completed pieces that I can't have publicly viewable for various reasons, but would like to share with potential clients. Right now I have to send them a list of links, but it would be so much easier if I could just point them to my page and tell them the password to anything that's password protected.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hey folks,

For now password protected videos will be hidden from the profile. We hope to offer features like unlisted URLs in the future, but have no ETA.

Indra 154

Indra 154

Hi Matt, I know you replied to this 3 years ago. Any progress?

emergdoc

emergdoc

Agree with all the other people here I would prefer the choice to be able to make the video visible.

Roy Jackson

Roy Jackson Plus

Can you please look at adding a visible video with password protection as a separate option.

Carl Rusk, Audio Director

Carl Rusk, Audio Director

There is another reason to want this "private but visible" option— for video professionals to show that they do have a lot of recent work posted, but that it is password protected for their client's benefit.

Knot Films

Knot Films

Same problem over here. Please add a "Show in Vimeo" option for password protected videos.

Steven Christenson

Steven Christenson Plus

Perhaps a solution is to allow videos to be placed in a GROUP which can be shown? That might make more sense since *groups* could be given different passwords.

David Thomas

David Thomas

Agreed, a "make visible" option checkbox would be a great benefit for users uploading private videos to send to a range of prospective employers.

Melissa Scott

Melissa Scott Plus

Me too! Adding two more little boxes that say "hide video" or "show video" wouldn't make the settings page any less intuitive.

Indra 154

Indra 154

Hi Alex, my reason is that I want to share my family videos with copyrighted songs with friends and family. I don't exactly need it to be private, but I don't want bots in specific countries shutting the videos down when there is no profit involved.

Gert Jan Harkema

Gert Jan Harkema Plus

Same here. would be really beneficial, cause now it's just too complicated for multiple videos, as for watching each video the viewer needs the individual url

Alex Dao

Alex Dao Staff

Hi Gert, you could create a private album and share that with your viewer, so they only need 1 URL and 1 password to access your videos.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.