Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Hey all, We're locking this thread because our developers have been able to eliminate some instances of this error but we need to collect video files in order to replicate any remaining errors.

If you would be willing to share your files with us, please see this thread: vimeo.com/forums/help/topic:74134

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

We're tracking a bug where accepted video files are being marked as 'invalid' by our uploader. We're investigating the cause and hope to have it resolved very soon.

The error looks like this: cl.ly/image/471s0b090f09

If you're uploading a file format that follows our Compression Guidelines or is a format that has previously been accepted by our system, please post below with the following information:

1) Your browser 2) The uploader you're using (Basic or Advanced) 3) The video editing/compression software you're using (Quicktime, Handbrake, etc.) 4) The compression settings you're using. You can take a screenshot of your settings, upload them to a service like ge.tt and link the image here, or you can provide the following information:

File type (example: mp4) File size (1.8 gb) Codec (h.264) Video bit rate (constant 5000 kbps) Frame rate (constant 24 fps) Resolution (1280x720) Audio codec (AAC) Audio bit rate (256 kbps)

We would highly appreciate if you could help us with this information! Note that to keep this particular thread focused, off-topic posts will be deleted. Any problems uploading or converting should be posted here:

vimeo.com/forums/help/topic:16738

Calvary Tabernacle of Alexandria

Calvary Tabernacle of Alexandria PRO

Wow thats been 3 weeks ago. I have been trying to upload files all weekend. Out of 4 files I got one to load last Friday. I compressed using Imovie and used the exact specs in the tutorial. Each time I start it is crawling as it uploads. We have a good internet connection and i am using firefox. The one video I got to upload took over 6 hours to finish. The others stopped and gave me the dreaded oops message even though its the correct file format. I am paying for this service and have uploaded files from my phone faster than this.

Link: vimeo.com/49549630

Mark Hendricks

Mark Hendricks Plus

Browser: tried both Explorer and Firefox
Uploader: tried both basic and advanced
File Type: .mov
Codec: h.264
Video bit rate: limit to 5000 kbps
Resolution: 1280x720
Audio Codec: Uncompressed

NOTHING WORKS!!!!

Mark Hendricks

Mark Hendricks Plus

I'm using Premier Elements 10.

Can you just let us know when Vimeo gets their act together and we can upload?
I'm getting real tired of wasting my time!

Mark Hendricks

Mark Hendricks Plus

Tommy, is anything getting done on this?
I've been trying to upload for THREE DAYS!@Q

Mark Hendricks

Mark Hendricks Plus

Just tried to upload again.
After 10 minutes I got the so helpful OOPS, and this doesn't appear to be a valid video file.
HOW ABOUT SOME HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

This error is affecting a small number of users, but we are dedicated to fixing it. Because this only affects a few users, we're only working with a little bit of data. We appreciate your patience and understanding in the meantime.

Can you link us to a video you previously uploaded with these same settings?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

We're working on this now, Mark. While we work on this, you might want to try creating a free Dropbox account and using our new upload from Dropbox tool. Give that a try and post in this thread if experience any issues: vimeo.com/forums/help/topic:71793

Mark Hendricks

Mark Hendricks Plus

DAY FIVE OF THE VIMEO UPLOADING DISASTER.
I did get one test video to load. A 56 second video took over 40 minutes to load?
I'm trying to upload the 642mb file now. It's at 26% and loading at a sizzling speed of 20KB/s!!!!
At this rate the upload will take about 10 HOURS!!!!
VIMEO IS STILL OBVIOUSLY MESSED UP BIG TIME!!!
WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER???

And don't tell me to not update information while it is uploading. I haven't been doing this for FIVE DAYS.
Any possibility Vimeo might actually DO something about what is obviously a huge problem at Vimeo or are you just going to keep apologizing, saying you are working on it, and telling the users to waste their time by making changes that you know don't have a damn thing to do with the problem?
20KB/s upload speed? Really? Is this the users fault too?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Mark, I understand your frustration, but please understand that we are working on this issue as quickly as possible. Once we figure out the cause behind this error, we will immediately implement the fix. As I mentioned above, this error is effecting a very small number of our users, so any and all information about it is helpful.

As you noted, there is a 300mb limit for browser uploads to Dropbox. However, if you install the Dropbox desktop app you can upload your 600mb file and share a public link to it with us. Additionally, you can then use our new Upload via Dropbox feature that launched yesterday to get your videos online while we work on the issue with our site uploader.

Link: vimeo.com/blog/post:518

Mark Hendricks

Mark Hendricks Plus

You've been supposedly diligently working on this issue as quickly as possible FOR FIVE DAYS.
Telling me Vimeo doesn't accept .mov files when your compression tutorials specify using a .mov file format? Telling me to change browsers and uploaders, "don't add information before it loads", and other silly nonsense instead of just admitting your system was trashed and YOU DID NOT KNOW HOW TO FIX IT. The number of heated complaints suggests this effected more than just a few users.
I would have more respect for you if you just admitted the problem was on YOUR END instead of having me waste my time.
Today I finally got the video to upload. It took several hours at the sometimes blistering upload speed of 6KB/s. And btw, the file I uploaded was a .mov file.
It's hard to envision a free service offering such poor technical support. For charging $60/year, you should be ashamed.
Maybe you got it fixed, maybe you didn't. I doubt you'll admit to it being on your side (IT WAS) And where's the notice about the fixes you said was forthcoming? I doubt I'll see that either.
I have such little faith in Vimeo and none for technical support.
Like so many others, I'll probably end up converting my PRO account to free and begin using another video sharing site.
Thanks for absolutely nothing Tommy.

martin clinton

martin clinton Plus

Browser - Chrome
File Type - wmv
video bit rate - 50000 kbps
resolution - 1280 x 720
Frame rate 25fps
Rendered in Vegas Pro 10
This is the standard set of settings I use for all my uploads, but now constantly fails with the 'oops' error

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Thanks for the info, Martin. Can you provide a link to a previous video you have uploaded with these settings?

martin clinton

martin clinton Plus

Hi Tommy, this video was made exactly the same vimeo.com/47190417 interestingly I DID get it to upload on a third attempt. The difference was the first two times while it was uploading I tried changing the narrative of the file and pressing 'save changes'. The third time I left it all as default and changed the narrative / description AFTER the upload and conversion had finished. It could be a total coincidence, but seemed to work.

Link: vimeo.com/47190417

martin clinton

martin clinton Plus

Yes, Tommy, that's the one that was giving me the 'oops' meesage until I uploaded it a third time leaving the narrative unchanged until AFTER the upload / conversion had finished. I'm not sure if trying to amend the name / description during the upload DOES cause the error, but it seemed to work....I notice David tried the 'leave things alone' trick and it seemed to work, however it could be a couple of coincidences.

David Knoles

David Knoles Plus

I got the Oops! error uploading with IE. My .mp4 file is 2.24GB in size.

Audio: 48,000Hz; 192,000bps, 16-bit, stereo, AAC
Video: 1280x720; 29.970 (NTSC); 5,000,000 Max bps; 3,000,000 Average bps

Created with the 64-bit version of Vegas Pro 11.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Thanks for the info, David. Can you provide a link to a previous video you have uploaded with these settings?

David Knoles

David Knoles Plus

I tried what Martin did and didn't make any changes to the settings until the upload was complete. I normally make multiple configuration changes during the upload process. It worked this time. I don't know if not changing any settings during the upload solved the problem or if it was just a coincidence.

Ian Thomas Ash

Ian Thomas Ash PRO

Hi! I've tried several times to upload with a failed attempt each time. I'm accessing the Vimeo advanced uploading tool through Firefox. I edited with FCP7 and used the exact compression settings outlined in your tutorial:

codec h.264
restrict to 5,000
size 1280 x 720 HD
internet streaming off
sound AAC
rate 44.100
target bit rate 320

Please help! Thank you.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Thanks for the information Ian. Can you try uploading again, but not edit the title, description, or any other data until the upload has completed?

Ian Thomas Ash

Ian Thomas Ash PRO

Tommy, thanks very much for your reply, and sorry for my late response- your reply ended up in my "junk" box and I just found it. Am trying what you suggested now. Hopefully it will work! Thanks again.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

No problem, Ian. Please post here again and let me know if there was any change or difference in your upload?

Ian Thomas Ash

Ian Thomas Ash PRO

Tommy, unfortunately, although I did as you suggested- not editing the info until the upload was complete- it failed again. Any ideas what I can do? Rather frustrating...

Thanks for your help!

Vertigo / Obscura

Vertigo / Obscura PRO

Hi I am having several upload problems and most uploads are aborted before they finish. One video made it to 100% but then I encountered the above error. I later suceeded in uploading the video and you can find it here and check the codec settings yourself:

vimeo.com/48425249

pm me if you need the password or further info.

Link: vimeo.com/48425249

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Thanks for the information, we're looking further into this bug now.

MyNorth Media

MyNorth Media PRO

Hi I've tried various times to upload this file. vimeo.com/48312699

Chrome is crashing, or after around 4 hours I get the Oops!
Explorer is giving me This does not appear to be a valid video file.
Firefox is giving me the Oops too if i recall correctly

Audio: 96 Kbps, 48,000 Hz, 32 Bit, Stereo, AAC
Video: mp4 23.976 fps, 1280x720 Progressive, YUV, 6 Mbps
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.000

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Thanks for the information. Can you try uploading again, but not edit the title, description, or any other data until the upload has completed? Let us know if this makes any difference!

Amanda Bucklow

Amanda Bucklow

This error is affecting me too. I have been trying to upload 4 videos which are compressed in exactly the same way as all my previous successfully uploaded videos. I use
iSkysoft iMedia Converter Deluxe. Defined Vimeo settings which are precisely those determined by you. And the software has not been upgraded or changed since my last successful uploads.
Have tried Firefox and Chrome.
I have not edited the title - it takes that from the name of the video file
I have tired not editing the privacy or embed settings until upload has been completed - no difference.
But the most alarming thing is that I see you have imposed an upload limit on Pro users. This is not the reason for the failure by the way. I purchased Pro precisely because there was NO weekly upload limit since when I need to use Vimeo it will always exceed the upload limit of 5gb for that particular week. Then I don't need my upload limit for maybe two months. The point was that I could use my account when it was convenient to me!
With this problem and using different approaches to get around the errors on your side, I have used part of this new limit on that. Not good and not what I pay for.

Amanda Bucklow

Amanda Bucklow

Hi Tommy - I didn't say file size, I said 5gb WEEKLY limit. The rest of the post should make that clear and I apologise if it didn't seem clear to you.

The file is less than 1gb. I have received a message (on my Pro account) that my weekly limit TOTAL of 5gb has been exceeded. I didn't know there was a limit hence the question about when was it imposed. At the moment the file is uploading, reaches the end and then flips back to the blank upload page and the file is nowhere to be found.

I have tried replacing a failed file - same thing. So far I have spent over 28 hours trying to get one file onto my account which is less than 1gb. There is something wrong.

A newly compressed version, with a new name, is currently uploading at a truly awe-inspiringly pathetic 74kbs (less than half I have achieved from this location on previous occasions, connected via ethernet) video ref 48544386. If this doesn't succeed I will be in deep pooh.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Amanda, I understand where you're coming from now. You shouldn't have any weekly limit as a PRO member. Can you message us via our contact form below so we can sort out the details with your account? I apologize for any inconvenience.

Vimeo FAQ: vimeo.com/help/contact

James Pike-Watson

James Pike-Watson Plus

1. Firefox
2. Advanced
3. Final Cut Pro and Compressor

File type - .mov
Codec - h.264
Video bit rate - limited to 5000 kpbs
Frame rate - 24
Resolution - 1280x720
Audio codec - AAC

tried uploading twice. once without editing the description or title etc

James Pike-Watson

James Pike-Watson Plus

Hi,

Yes I do, here is the link to that video vimeo.com/47204113

I'd rather wait for this to be fixed as it would be easier but if it's going to take long to fix then I'll try the Dropbox solution

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Thanks for the information, James. We're still looking into this now. How large is the file you're trying to upload?

ELO DESIGN and DEVELOPMENT

ELO DESIGN and DEVELOPMENT Business

1 Google Chrome
2 Advanced
3 Camtasia
4 File type .mp4
5 Codec - h.264, AAC
6 Total bit rate: 1919

What's strange is that I could upload one video and when I was uploading the second one, it shows upload successfully and then goes to "OOPS" mistake.

vimeo.com/48535399, this link is the second video, not working.
vimeo.com/48463317, this link is the first video, and it is working.

I think it is very strange but interesting. Is the server limiting the number of upload by the same IP address?

Link: vimeo.com/48535399

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

That's strange that one upload went through but not the other. Are you still getting the "This doesn't appear to be a valid video file" error when uploading the second video?

ELO DESIGN and DEVELOPMENT

ELO DESIGN and DEVELOPMENT Business

Yes, we are facing the same problem with the second, third ... video. In the past three days, we are able to upload only one video per day. We are using it for educating purpose, since it is the beginning of new semester, we really need the problem to be solved quickly.

Thank you for your help!

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

We're still looking into this issue - another question, how large is the file you're trying to upload?

In the meantime, you might want to try uploading using our new Dropbox integration:

Link: vimeo.com/blog/post:518

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Can you try uploading using our new Dropbox integration?

Also, if you upload the file to Dropbox, can you send me a link to the video so I can download it and test it against our file detection? That would be a huge help; you can share the link with me via private message if you prefer.

Link: dropbox.com/help/category/Sharing

Rektify.tv

Rektify.tv Plus

1 Firefox
2 Basic and Advanced (tried both)
3 FCP Compressor
4 Exact H.264 compression settings from the 'Compression Guidelines' video for Compressor 6.
This video uploaded no problem - vimeo.com/48379855 - but any others I've tried have displayed the same 'oops' message.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Thanks for the information, we're still looking into this issue - another question, how large is the file you're trying to upload?

In the meantime, you might want to try uploading using our new Dropbox integration: Link: vimeo.com/blog/post:518

Rektify.tv

Rektify.tv Plus

Tommy,
I've tried multiple file sizes, from 8MB to 80-100MB and none are uploading. I'll try the dropbox integration soon and let you know how I get on.

Crossroads Media Productions

Crossroads Media Productions Plus

Same as Rektify.tv above.

1) Firefox
2) Advanced
3) FCP Compressor
4) h.264- identical to the compression guidelines for fcp compress.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Thanks for the information, we're still looking into this issue - another question, how large is the file you're trying to upload?

In the meantime, you might want to try uploading using our new Dropbox integration: Link: vimeo.com/blog/post:518

Overflow

Overflow Plus

Same issues.
1) Safair 6 - OS 10.8
2) Basic and Advanced
3) iMovie
4) H.264, 854 x 480 AAC, 44100 Hz, Mono 3.16 Mbit/s

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

dj-owe

dj-owe Plus

same issue here i made a video mix with the correct settings.
and i am having the same problem.

please help both time i tried uploadaing it took upto 8hours each time only to ge the non supported video message.

WTF i uploaded a video from the same programes in same format but just a 30sec clip and still vimeo accepts it.
i dont understand.

maybe its something to do with certin file Size.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Interesting, thanks for sharing that with us. Can you provide a link to the 30sec clip you uploaded that worked with the same settings?

Patrick Mach

Patrick Mach Plus

Just suscribed for Plus membership 1yr first time user- unable to get any of my basic AVI files to upload and just receive the same error message - Sorry this ppears to be an invalid file:

1) MSIE
2) Basic Uploader from website
3) TechSmith Camtasia Recorder
4) File type AVI
Video bit rate (not sure)
Frame rate (not sure)
Resolution (377x282)
Audio codec (AAC)
Audio bit rate (256 kbps)
(will try and see if these pop up on next recording)

Three Taverns Church

Three Taverns Church Plus

I am using the latest version of flash. Video upload all the way then says "Ooops. This doesn't appear to be a valid video file"

Using your recommended settings for this QT video that I can play on my computer and the same settings that I used this week and always to upload video.

I just uploaded another video, compiled, edited and compressed in the exact same way. It did fine. I have a deadline. Any ideas?

1) Google
2) ? I use the upload button on the top of page
3) iMovie 10 - Export to Quicktime

File type (example: mp4) .mov
Codec (h.264) h.264
Video bit rate (constant 5000 kbps) Automatic
Frame rate (constant 24 fps) 24
Resolution (1280x720) 1280x720
Audio codec (AAC) AAC
Audio bit rate (256 kbps) 320

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Thanks for the information, we're still looking into this issue - another question, how large is the file you're trying to upload? Also, can you provide a link to another video clip you've uploaded with the same compression settings?

Crossroads Media Productions

Crossroads Media Productions Plus

Is there really no resolution to this? This is a service that a lot of us pay for and use for business. When can we expect a resolution? Until then, do I have to just keep trying to upload and hope it goes through?

nele wohlatz

nele wohlatz

1. Firefox
2. both Advanced & Basic
3. Final Cut Pro and Compressor

File type - .mov
Codec - h.264
Video bit rate - limited to 5000 kpbs (in another try to 4500 kpbs)
Frame rate - 25
Resolution - 1280x720
Audio codec - AAC

tried uploading like ten times already, also with a new export of the same project. what can I do? I really hace to upoload this.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Sorry for the trouble, Nele, we're still looking into this issue - another question, how large is the file you're trying to upload?

nele wohlatz

nele wohlatz

the file is about 410 MB - no too big!

Heather Tobin

Heather Tobin Plus

File Type: .mov
Codec (h.264)
Video bit rate (constant 5000 kbps)
Frame rate (constant 24 fps)
Resolution (1280x720)
Audio codec (AAC)

Just bought a plus membership and have been trying to upload for 4 days now, OOOPPPSSS messages are all I'm getting! I'm now super late in entering a few film festivals and won't be able to enter til next year. I uploaded a trailer with the same settings. I tried a file with compressor and right out of fcp. All under the 5 gb? They usually crash at 17%. HELP!!!!

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Heather, sorry for the trouble, we're still looking into this issue - another question, how large is the file you're trying to upload? Do you have any previous uploads of yours that used the same compression that's now producing this error?

Craig Miller

Craig Miller PRO

I'm getting bugs in FireFox and Chrome.

In Chrome it just crashes.

In FireFox I got an error that its an invalid file, but I use this formal all the time with no problem.

I had a smaller file (52MB) go through just fine.

But my 380MB and 755MB files screw up.

Craig Miller

Craig Miller PRO

Tried linking my account with DropBox.

This is pretty terrible too.

It's not uploading ANYTHING to Vimeo and it's been running for 12 hours now.

Still can't upload files.

What exactly is going on here guys? I see all kinds of upload problems for well over a week.

I sort of need to upload videos somehow.

Craig Miller

Craig Miller PRO

Guys can you give an update on this? I've tried DropBox... I've tried uploading about 5 times so far.

Isn't there anything I can do to get a video online here?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Can you provide the details about the file format you're trying to upload? Read the post at the top for the information we need.

For problems uploading that aren't this specific error, please post in this thread:

Link: vimeo.com/forums/help/topic:16738

The Trilogy Project

The Trilogy Project PRO

Created in Final Cut Pro and Compressor

Browser : Chrome, Safari, Firefox
Uploader: Advanced and Basic
File: .mov
Codec: H.264
Resolution: 1280x720
Size: 994.7mb

Previous videos with the same setting are vimeo.com/48152645 or vimeo.com/48029101.

Other files have gone through with no problem recently. It appears to be hit and miss - some videos will upload after multiple attempts.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Thanks for the information. We're still looking into this and hope to have a solution very soon.

In the meantime, can you upload your file using our new Dropbox integration and then provide us with a link to it? vimeo.com/blog/post:518

Craig Miller

Craig Miller PRO

NO DUDE I CAN'T. I've had my Drop Box account connected to my Vimeo Account for almost 24 hours now... and nothing transfers over from the designated folder I've set.

Really disappointing... but the whole point is I cannot upload videos at all in any way shape or form... not even with the workaround you've suggested.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Sorry for the trouble. Can you move the file that is producing the 'invalid' error to a public folder in your Dropbox and provide the link to it? You can message it to me privately, if you don't want to post it here.

Craig Miller

Craig Miller PRO

I don't think you can have public folders on dropbox because its not a public file sharing service. If you send me your email then I can share it with you.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

I misunderstood - you can share files without putting them in the public folder. Take a look at Dropbox's FAQ for more information: dropbox.com/help/category/Sharing

If you could email support[at]vimeo[dot]com with the link and mention my name, I'd appreciate it.

Venture Christian Church

Venture Christian Church PRO

I have been trying to upload my video which is 1.95GB for the last 5 days and I keep getting the OOPS error. I tried uploading the same video but only 1 minute of it instead of the 45 minutes and It uploaded just fine. So not sure what is going on.

1) Browser: Firefox and chrome. all up to date
2) The uploader: Advanced and Basic
3) The video editing/compression: FCP 7/apple compressor

File type: Mov.
File size 1.95 GB
Codec (h.264)
Video bit rate constant 5000 kbps
Frame rate: current
Resolution (1280x720)
Audio codec (AAC)

Also, my video is recorded at 29.97fps so should I select 29.97 in compressor or just keep it at current?

The video I tried to upload: vimeo.com/48861808

Annabelle Lukin

Annabelle Lukin Plus

Hi Vimeo, I am also having trouble uploading files in mp4 format. Here's a link to a failed upload:

vimeo.com/48776519

I'm using Firefox; I have tried advanced and basic loader. The file is under 1 GB. I would really love some help as I have a backlog now of things to upload.
Best
Annabelle

Rusty Yankie Productions

Rusty Yankie Productions PRO

This is a pro account: I've been uploading files for the past 2 months with no problems, but I'm suddenly getting "This doesn’t appear to be a valid video file". Now after 3 1/2 days of trying every step they've listed and all I see is the same comments from your IT making it sound like were all doing something wrong instead of admiting they have a problem... did I miss anything? When is your IT going to get this fixed? This is stupid...

1) Browser: IE 9 and chrome. all up to date
2) The uploader: Advanced and Basic

File type: mp4.
File size 2.60 GB
Codec (h.264)
Video bit rate 4000 target and 5000 max kbps
Tried Frame rate: current & 24
Resolution (1280x720)
Audio codec (AAC)

Louis Bloechl

Louis Bloechl PRO

I have been trying to get a video to upload, ANY video, as I haven't had any make it up in a week. As a test, I resorted to uploading a file that I previously uploaded with no problem in April. After many tries, it finally actually fully uploaded, then later when I expected it to be processed, I saw it had the invalid video error. When I checked my upload usage, it showed 0 bytes used of my upload quota? I deleted the "file" and managed to get it uploaded again, and it processed with no errors.

So is it really a video settings/browser issue if it fails one time and works the next?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Louis, can you provide a link to the video that gave the error but later uploaded fine?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Did you make any changes when re-uploading it to make it go through?

Louis Bloechl

Louis Bloechl PRO

The only thing I may have changed (I can't remember exactly when I changed it) was to disable any power saving on my PC so it just stays on, although all my previous uploads were done with power management enabled. I am using IE9. As of Sunday night, I upload 2 videos today with no problems, they went thru uploading and processing the first time. The uploads were slower than what I used to see before May, but everything worked and I am got my work done. I am happy!

Unidos Por La Fe

Unidos Por La Fe

its, been 3 weeks trying to up load 2 videos, I have tried in 3 different work places, different speed internet conection, Google chrome, Google Chrome Incognito, Internet explorer, FireFox., I have used AVS converter, converted the video file to different formats ( AVI, MP4, WMV, FLV, MPEG, and still haven't been able to up load it, this year has been the worst service we have got , every month or 6 weeks is the same issue.. I know for fact is not my equipment , not internet conection, neither browsers. Its been 2 weeks and getting to the 3er one, this month I won;t even get half of the quota I am entitle to.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Please make sure you follow along with our Compression Guidelines; anything besides mp4/h.264 video could potentially give the error saying 'this is an invalid video file'

Vimeo FAQ: vimeo.com/help/compression

Unidos Por La Fe

Unidos Por La Fe

Thanks for the response, I re-check the compression guidelines, as you may see is not the first video we up loads, is quite 3 years doing it , and we have migrate all the new guide lines Vimeo sets up in up dates. Still I re-checked my files and compression settings and they are according to settings VImeo suggest , So what else I can do ??? I am going for the 4th week without getting the quota I am entitled to.

Link: vimeo.com/49210032

Village of Hinsdale

Village of Hinsdale Plus

We have been trying to upload a few videos this week to no avail. It would fail between 50-60% upload saying they failed.

Browser: firefox
Uploader: Both Basic and Advanced tried
Video Compression: Freemake Video Converter
File type: mp4, wmv
File size: 350mb - 1.5gb
Codec: H.264
Video bit rate:constant 5000 kbps
Frame rate:constant 24 fps
Resolution:1280x720
Audio codec:AAC
Audio bit rate:256 kbps

Village of Hinsdale

Village of Hinsdale Plus

We were able to upload the videos after following George Angeludis' advice of not renaming/adding any information and saving the changes before the upload was fully finished. 4/4 of Uploaded videos now.

Syred Pictures

Syred Pictures Plus

Doesn't work for me either when there was no prob with the previous vid (same compression)

Browser : Safari / Firefox / Chrome
Uploader : Basic & Advanced
Video editing: Adobe Premiere Pro
File type: mp4
File size: around 90mb
Codec: h.264
Video bit rate: constant 2000 kbps
Frame rate: constant 25 fps
Resolution: 640x360
Audio codec: AAC
Audio bit rate: 128kbps

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Thank you for sharing that link, I get the same error when trying to upload that file. This is a huge help, thanks again!

George Angeludis

George Angeludis Plus

Do not rename the file before it has been totally upload could fix that.
It seems that this error is coming after renaming the file or adding some new
lines and saving the changes during the upload.

Shawn Storey

Shawn Storey Plus

It is not the browser. It is Vimeo. Video upload time to YouTube = 7 minutes. Cost? Zero. Video upload time to Vimeo = Error after error. Cost? $60.00. As a member of 3 years, I apologize for my frustrations but I am beyond frustrated.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

I understand you're frustrated Shawn, and we're looking into this error now.

Can you upload the video that gave this error to Dropbox and provide a shared link to it here? I'll need to take a look at the file itself to see what could be causing this error. dropbox.com/help/category/Sharing

Once the video is uploaded to Dropbox you can share it to Vimeo by connecting your account: vimeo.com/help/faq/uploadingfromdropbox

Craig Miller

Craig Miller PRO

Guys are you going to fix this? It's been almost 2 weeks since this thread was started.

Does it really take you that long to fix bugs or is this just super low priority?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

We're working on this, but we haven't been able to duplicate the error on our end. Ideally we'd like a copy of a video that is giving this error so we can test.

Can you upload the video that gave this error to Dropbox and provide a shared link to it here? I'll need to take a look at the file itself to see what could be causing this error. dropbox.com/help/category/Sharing

Once the video is uploaded to Dropbox you can share it to Vimeo by connecting your account: vimeo.com/help/faq/uploadingfromdropbox

Unidos Por La Fe

Unidos Por La Fe

Thanks for the response, I re-check the compression guidelines, as you may see is not the first video we up loads, is quite 3 years doing it , and we have migrate all the new guide lines Vimeo sets up in up dates. Still I re-checked my files and compression settings and they are according to settings VImeo suggest , So what else I can do ??? I am going for the 4th week without getting the quota I am entitled to. As well I am really frustrated, this issue is repeating almost every 2 months, I know for fact is not browsers, not file compression cause is same thing I have been doing for little over 3 years... Come on guys...

Link: vimeo.com/49210032

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Hi there, Thank you for the report and apologies for the delayed response.

Our developers have asked us to collect some of the video files that are causing this error to appear so that we can replicate the error on our end.

If you're still experiencing the "invalid file" error, it would be helpful if you could upload your file to a file-sharing service (such as Dropbox) and provide us with a link to download and then test your file. If you're willing to do that, please follow this link to post the relevant info: http://bit.ly/UhV0W7

Either way, you can count on us to get this resolved as soon as possible. Thanks!

yourBuddhi.com

yourBuddhi.com PRO

I have tried for 4 days to upload the same file and keep getting the "oops not valid video file" message. Here are the stats :

I tried using both firefox and safari several times
File type .mov
File size (1.66 gb)
Codec (h.264)
Video bit rate (constant 5000 kbps)
Frame rate ( 30 fps)
Resolution (1280x720)
Audio codec (AAC) -- not sure where to find this info
Audio bit rate (256 kbps) - not sure where to find this info.

Please fix this asap. I need this for my business.

thanks

Link: vimeo.com/49239874

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Our developers have asked us to collect some of the video files that are causing this error to appear so that we can replicate the error on our end.

If you're still experiencing the "invalid file" error, it would be helpful if you could upload your file to a file-sharing service (such as Dropbox) and provide us with a link to download and then test your file. If you're willing to do that, please follow this link to post the relevant info: http://bit.ly/UhV0W7

Either way, you can count on us to get this resolved as soon as possible. Thanks!

yourBuddhi.com

yourBuddhi.com PRO

I'm using iMovie and all the videos that I previously uploaded are in the same format as this one. Not sure why this suddenly started happening but I need it resolved soon please!

yourBuddhi.com

yourBuddhi.com PRO

Okay I pay for the premium vimeo($200+) and this is totally unacceptable. you are holding up production and your customers are very upset that this has been going on for so long. Any update??? I posted over two hours ago and this is my third attempt to get some customer service on this issue.

SindicoNet

SindicoNet PRO

I've been trying to upload 4 files with 0,7 - 1,4gb, h264, 30fps, HD, AAC - 256, VBR between 8 and 9 (the adobe media encoder CS5.5 vimeo preset). this bug happens with SD files too?

SindicoNet

SindicoNet PRO

I've tried chrome and firefox, with the advanced uploader.

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

nele wohlatz

nele wohlatz

Hello, I still need help, what do you recommend me?
What do others recommend? Alternative video platforms?

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Hi there, Thank you very much for providing us with this test file and apologies for the delayed response.

We just did a test upload using this file but we were not able to replicate the error. Can you please try again and confirm whether or not you're having the same issue?

Medi Veminardi

Medi Veminardi

Hey, i uploaded my video yesterday, it's a very heavy and high quality video, and in the settings i'm still unable to choose 720p or 1080p and not even the HD button when i'm playing the video!! please help!!! here is the link:
vimeo.com/49343309

Tricia (T. Mezz) Messeroux

Tricia (T. Mezz) Messeroux PRO

I am suppose dot launch a new site tonight and all of the sudden I can't upload ANY videos!!! I've even tried uploading videos that were previously uploaded and still rejected!!! Please HELP

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Hi Tricia, Thank you for the report and apologies for the delayed response.

David Paede

David Paede

Hi there I have the same issues with my video.
I've tried to export it via fcp (.mp4 - h.264 - 720p - 5000kbs) and via compressor as a .mov
I'v also tried different ways to upload it: Firefox (min. 3 attempts on different mac) and Dropbox
please help!

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Hi David, Thank you for the report and apologies for the delayed response.

Elodie Weis

Elodie Weis

Hi same probleme than above:
FIrefox 15.0.1
Adobe Media Encoder cs6
1920x1080 24p 9mbit mp4
AAC
Basic uploader

How can i help debugging ?
This getting critical

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Johnny & Lara

Johnny & Lara PRO

uploading from Vimeo still gives me the OOPS message, not a valid file format, and uploading from Dropbox does nto work either, same error message. I see this has been going on for 2 weeks. any resolution, Vimeo????

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

TPWO

TPWO

im really getting tired of having to upload the same video 10 times just to get it working... youtube is looking attractive now!

Link: vimeo.com/49528557

Broadway Artists Alliance

Broadway Artists Alliance PRO

1) - Safari or Firefox, tried both
2) Advanced
3) Exported from final cut express as a quicktime movie
4)
File type mov
File size (anywhere from 773 mb to 2.7 GB - the account they're being uploaded to is a Vimeo Pro account)
Codec (h.264)
Video bit rate (constant 2000 kbps)
Frame rate (constant 24 fps)
Resolution (640 x 480)
Audio codec (AAC)
Audio bit rate (320 kbps)

I had uploaded two videos over the past week completely fine. Now I have three videos that were exported in the same way under the same settings and they keep telling me they are not valid movie files when they are all definitely .mov (Quicktime movie files). I need to get these uploaded for a work project any help would be great.

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Hi there, Thank you for the report.

Canal de diffusion

Canal de diffusion Plus

Don't panic! Our support STAFF hours are 10AM–6PM EST Monday to Friday. We'll answer you as soon as possible.

Hmm if possible for a site your size some service any time when the problem is bad would make it more professionnal. (Just my opinion)

FultonHoP

FultonHoP Plus

I have been trying to upload since last night. Always us WMV format, no problem til last night. Saw the post on WMV files problem and coverted to MP4...same problem - error or processing problems.

What is going on? I've followed all your tips.

Link: vimeo.com/fultonhop/videos

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Catchline Oy

Catchline Oy

I managed to upload a 2 Gb movie yesterday! I have tried uploading it about 2 weeks, maybe 5 times.

First I lowered my Max bitrate, since Premiere 5.5 Vimeo HD settings are much higher than the tutorial video here shows. That by itseft didn´t help and then I tried uploading with IE, standard old uploader and not touching anything in browser while uploading.

And it worked!! Thank you all.

Inspired Business Marketing

Inspired Business Marketing

Hi - I too have the same issue. I uploaded four other videos last week with no problem, but the fifth (created in the exact same way) won't upload (after four attempts) I get the same "This doesn't appear to be a valid video file." error message. Initially I tried uploading to a client's FREE account, but as it was failing then I tested it on my PLUS account but still no joy. Here are the tech details as best as I can find:

Browser: Firefox (on WIndows 7)
Advanced loader
Camtasia 7

File Type: MP4
File Size: 42.4Mb
Codec:
Video Bit Rate: 230kbps
Frame Rate: 6 frames/second
Resolution: 1080 x 724
Audio Codec:
Audio Bit Rate: 53kbps

I'll continue to try other combinations (as others have done) but this really ought to work first time?!

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Craig Coates

Craig Coates

So I had the same error message come up and decided to run the video files through a different video converter. When I use "get info" for the file it shows that the video dimensions are 640 x 480 so I kept that the same in the alternative converter. Same result and error message when I tried to upload to vimeo.

However, when I tried it again I noticed that the video converter showed the original video dimensions as 720 x 540 even though "get info" was showing 640 x 480. I changed the converter settings to output the new file at 720 x 540 and it uploaded, processed and displayed just fine on Vimeo, albeit with black bars on the outside of the video, presumably reflecting the original 640x480 size that the video should have been.
At least in my situation it seems to be a problem with what my converter is outputting in the file and file info not matching so perhaps that difference is what is causing the vimeo error?

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Hi Craig, Thank you for the report.

Craig Coates

Craig Coates

Also, I was getting frustrated so I also uploaded the original files to youtube and while they uploaded just fine and played, they also had the black bars on the edges.

Medi Veminardi

Medi Veminardi

Hey, i uploaded my video yesterday, it's a very heavy and high quality video, and in the settings i'm still unable to choose 720p or 1080p and not even the HD button when i'm playing the video!! please help!!! here is the link:
vimeo.com/49343309

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Hi there, Sounds like you might be experiencing an issue that is different from the topic of this thread. Please create a new thread!

Socrates in the City

Socrates in the City Plus

Tried using both firefox and safari several times
File type .mov
File size (146mb)
Codec (h.264)
Video bit rate (final cut pro share apple tv standard settings)
Frame rate ( 24 fps)
Resolution (1280x720)
Audio codec (AAC)?
Audio bit rate ?
Please fix this asap and at least tell me how I can work around it asap . I need this upload done tonight for my business.
thanks

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Heitor Fujinami

Heitor Fujinami

File type .mov
File size 230MB
Codec H264
Video bit rate auto
Frame rate 29.97
Resolution 1920x1080
Audio codec AAC
Audio bit rate 256kbps
Browser: Safari and Chrome
Software: tried After Effects, Media Encoder, Final Cut and Compressor

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Hi Heitor, Thank you for the report.

Ljubba

Ljubba

ONCE AGAIN,
VIMEO HAS SHOW THAT IT'S THE BEST VIDEO-SHARING COMUNITY WITH KIND AND CARING STAFF WHICH IS ALWAYS THERE FOR EVERY SINGLE USER AND THEIR PROBLEMS! I DID THE 'UPLOAD ERROR TEST' AND THE PROBLEM WAS SOLVED/MY VIDEO HAS BEEN PUT INTO THE STANDARD WAITING LINE WITHIN TEN MINUTES!I RECOMMEND YOU TO DO THE TEST AND SOLVE YOUR PROBLEMS!
CHEERS!

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Hey all, We're locking this thread because our developers have been able to eliminate some instances of this error but we need to collect video files in order to replicate any remaining errors.

If you would be willing to share your files with us, please see this thread: vimeo.com/forums/help/topic:74134

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.