Tim75

Tim75

Currently I am orientating for a camcorder in Nepal. Please see below very convient some info.

WHAT? People (interviews) and landscape while trekking -- some low-light conditions, mostly during day-light.

WHERE? Trekking in Nepal: note that it should weight extremely less (< 1KG) -- everything will be carried by self.

CURRENTLY Having a Sony HX9V, interesting quality related to the weight, yet fails with switching off AF and more importantly an external microphone. Also thought of finding a comparable camera.

THINKING OF A DSLR (a 550D is in my collection too) or a GoPro Hero2 add-on.

Maybe you can ask some better questions I wouldn't think of. It's an amateur production.

shawn wytch

shawn wytch

id just get 2 550d u can get 550d's almost as cheap as a gopo these days

Andy Wood

Andy Wood

I use a Panasonic TM700 .... small light full HD 50p, mic input, good range of manual settings, pretty good on auto, image stabilisation, decent zoom range. only downside is the rubbish stills function
I also use Canon 600D - great stills camera, not as quick and easy to use for video but performs well, not as light and compact as my TM700
If you want great still & video and can spare a bit of extra time setting up then go for the DSLR if you mainly want video then camcorders are still the best option for backpackers.
hope that helps
PS don't worry about the kit lens on Canons they are decent optically but feel a bit plastic

JEL

JEL

If doing video with a DSLR make SURE you use a lens with image-stabilization. Hand-held DSLR video with a lens without IS looks very bad. The micro-jitter is just impossible to avoid when hand-holding a DSLR and at HiDef it's noticable to a degree where it's a real problem.

OR mount the DSLR on a shoulder-mount, which it sounds like you won't be doing since you say weight has to be kept down.

Good luck.

transitionfilm

transitionfilm Plus

You should consider what you want to shoot and where you want to show it, then decide which camera fits the bill. Some small £300 camcorders may suit your purpose. Perhaps camcorder with ND filters because of bright days... Canon make some v good ones. Bip.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.