Imo

Imo

Vimeo seems to be very slow at day when I try to watch a video: it often is not able to get the video data in a decent time, even if I try to let it load first and view after that. At night, everything runs very well. Maybe Vimeo is a bit too stressed during day at the moment? Or any server issues maybe? This problem is new to me and begun some days ago.

Imo

Imo

I have the same issue with Firefox. I have also made my browser cache empty and made cookies fresh new. Only at night vimeo is back at full speed.

Imo

Imo

I have the same issue with Firefox. I have also made my browser cache empty and made cookies fresh new. Only at night vimeo is back at full speed. Vimeo is not stuttering. It is just not loading quick enough during day to watch whatever, even on SD quality. At night it is playing HD quality quite perfect.

Katie Armstrong

Katie Armstrong Staff

Okay, thanks for the info. We'll take a closer look. Here are a few things you can try in the meantime:

• Make sure you have the latest version of Flash running on your computer. You can check what version you have here: vimeo.com/help/flash.
  • Please turn off any other programs, virus protection, ad block, or energy saving settings as they may interfere with video playback.
  • Try closing other browser tabs if you have many opened.
  • If you have taken these steps and are still having issues with playback, you can help us out by reporting the video using our "Report Slow Loading" feature. Simply right click the video player after you hit Play and select the option, "Report Slow Loading". Please note that this feature is only available with the Flash player.
Imo

Imo

I am running Flash version 11.0.1 on the iMac. No virus protection active. No energy saving settings. No other browser tabs open! The problem is related to all four videos I have online, so I wonder if it makes sense to use the report-slow-loading option. O.o

Katie Armstrong

Katie Armstrong Staff

Reporting at least one of your videos will help our developers see what the issue may be. I encourage you to do so!

Imo

Imo

The time is 00:15 at night and HD video play is okay again. Strange thing!

Alex Dao

Alex Dao Staff

Do you find your internet is faster in general at night?

Imo

Imo

No, I don´t think so. I did verify my connection speed also via wieistmeineip.de speed test.

Imo

Imo

Today, 16:52 in the evening: video loading is dead slow, it is impossible to watch anything. My internet speed itself, tested again, is quite good. :-(

Katie Armstrong

Katie Armstrong Staff

Hi Imo, thanks for checking in. Again, this is something we are working on, but it's going to take a bit of time and research. Thanks for hanging in there.

Mart Williams

Mart Williams

This is nothing new, vimeo has had fundamental problem with bandwidth for 1 or 2 years now and don't seem to be doing anything about it. This is the reason why I didn't renew my plus account. The service cannot be classed as professional. There have been a few vimeo vids I've been trying to watch today that were simply too slow loading to bother with. I don't expect when I have a 30Mb connection to be waiting to watch vids online.
I was actually in a video editing suite yesterday and attempted to show a video of mine on vimeo to the director there. We gave up because the loading was too slow. Thanks vimeo!
It is a shame since the quality is very good.

Alex Dao

Alex Dao Staff

Hi Mart, I'm sorry for the trouble. We're working on improving speeds, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Imo

Imo

Today I decided to use the Download button to get the video before watching it. Unfortunately the download itself is also terrible slow. It takes a horrible amount of time to get at least 1 mbyte. I won´t think about how long it will take to get a whole video of several hundrets of megabytes! :-/

digital.discuss

digital.discuss

I can also testify that Vimeo often seems to be slow, though I don't get dropouts but rather stutter problems during playback while loading. People have reported this for many years and the staff keep brushing off concerns about this IMHO and suggests that other causes but the service itself is to blame also when other services don't have a problem for the user reporting. Staff also don't welcome suggestions to supply the staff with data so they can fix these issues.

This is not every time, however. Here's one — Moon for Sale — I can watch without any issues: vimeo.com/11590918
Others like several of the recent staff picks have stuttered every time since several years, also when I got new machines.
But as of today, they don't. At least not in this moment. I haven't really updated the OS or anything, so I can only gather that something improved at vimeo,com or that it is specific characteristics of certain videos that act up from time to time.

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Hi there, We're constantly testing and rolling out changes in order to improve playback experience. Right now we're working on resolving some issues with buffering logic. We hope to have those in place soon.

digital.discuss

digital.discuss

That sounds really promising Darnell. The issues I've had have all been related —seemingly at least — to playback while loading a video. If the video was preloaded in its entirety the stuttering that I have experienced multiple times for a very long time didn't occur even on my older G5 machine.

I played some more videos from the front page and videos still don't stutter or display any problems. Very nice! :-D
May things stay this working way because I think the users want you to succeed actually......

Good Luck!

Dalmasso Olivier

Dalmasso Olivier PRO

It's getting worst and worst every day. I won't renew my account since it's useless. Watching any movie in HD mode just takes too much time. I am wondering about those who paid for the pro version....

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Sorry you've been having trouble! Right now we're working on resolving some issues with buffering logic. We hope to some enhancements in place soon.

digital.discuss

digital.discuss

Dalmasso, care to give some links so I can test them from where I am as I'm now getting incredibly good service at the moment.

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

That's kind of you to offer. Please be aware that the user won't be notified of your comment unless it's a directly reply to their comment. Click the "Reply" button right under my response to Dalmasso if you want him to receive a notification.

Tony Mills

Tony Mills PRO

I've been noticing strange speed changes for quite a while now. We're basing a whole professional streaming service based on Vimeo's "pro" stance. This does not bode well for us continuing except as a way to send approval files to clients.

Every single response above is "We're working on it". If we in the pro video service market are looking for a classier alternative to Youtube it has to work professionally.

Riley Hooper

Riley Hooper Staff

Hi Tony, I'm sorry you're having trouble. As Darnell mentioned in this thread, right now we're working on resolving some issues with buffering logic and we hope to have those in place soon. This is a relatively new issue, and we're working our hardest to resolve it. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Tony Mills

Tony Mills PRO

Hi Riley,

Hate to be a hard ass here but I've seen this rather standard response a whole host of people with the same problem. For quite a while, too. What you didn't address is what you mean by "Pro" and whether this raises the bar as to what to expect. We are praying that we don't have to go to Youtube as a solution, but that would necessitate that Vimeo actually resolves these issues "professionally".

Again this is a business issue for us and not a "would be nice" thing. Please respond with something a little more business like.

Thanks.

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Hi Tony, There's a team of engineers dedicated to the performance of our Flash and HTML5 players, and we take issues that impact playback experience very seriously.

Right now, the buffering issue is our top priority. It's taking longer than usual to address because our developers still do not have full access to our development environment following damage caused by the hurricane. Nonetheless, we expect to have this particular bug squashed soon. Unfortunately, I cannot provide a precise ETA right now.

We apologize for any inconvenience it is causing you in the meantime.

Imo

Imo

Well, thinking about buffering only, I am sure the player software should be able to calculate how much of the video must be loaded and buffered before it can start to play, based on the measurement of the speed and the amount of data of the whole video. However, this would not help to make the overall speed of sending the video data faster, but it would prevent the player to run out of data during video playback.

Tony Mills

Tony Mills PRO

Let me make this really clear. Our business is suffering hugely and has for days as it's predicated on a professional streaming video model. We haven't be able to STREAM any video on the entire vimeo site, let alone ours. We haven't received any notification of this, or really any apology, or any indication of when it's going to be fixed.
This isn't a hobbiest site any more. This is being presented and sold as a professional streaming site much as salesforce is a professional cloud site. You have customers whose livelihood depends on its correct functioning. To repeat that you are "working on this" with no indication of a timeline or apology or suggested work arounds is in complete contradiction of your admonition below to "be cool and play nice."

I urge you to come clean and announce to the entire Vimeo community what is going on. You might add how sorry you are and suggest "professional" cures to this problem.

Rebecca Tharp

Rebecca Tharp Staff

Tony, we have personally apologized to you twice and I will do so again because I do understand that this is a detrimental issue at the moment. I am extremely sorry for the inconveniences that it's causing. To "come clean" I can only re-iterate what's been said already: we are currently trying to enhance our buffering logic, which has led to this temporary loading issue. We are actively working on a fix, but this fix will take time. We do not have an ETA at the moment, though I wish we did so I could give you more information. Once more, I'm sorry for the troubles this is causing you and your business. If you are interested in a refund for your PRO account, feel free to contact us at support@vimeo.com. Otherwise, we are continuing to work on this issue and are truly hoping to see a fix very soon.

Raquél Aly

Raquél Aly Plus

I have the same problem. The loading has been dead slow over this past week, so much so that I haven't been able to watch any videos properly. Once the video does finally load and you press play, it either never commences (freezes) or when you pull the slider to a desired place you want the video to begin from, it starts to re-load again for another half hour. Trying to watch videos has just become a very painful process . :(

Rebecca Tharp

Rebecca Tharp Staff

Hey there- these issues are currently stemming from an enhancement we're attempting in our buffering logic, which is causing some temporary loading issues. We're trying to resolve this issue as fast as we can! There will be a fix soon.

David Elkins

David Elkins Plus

Does "soon" mean days? weeks? months? As Tony Mills has stressed above this issue is not being adequately addressed by Vimeo and it is a major issue. I am considering abandoning the service as well because it should not take twice as long as the the video's duration to load it.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi David, we unfortunately do not have an ETA. Buffering is obviously a major concern for us at Vimeo and we are working on it as quickly as possible. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

multiVIDIA

multiVIDIA

more resources + load balancing + optimization = happy users!!

Sixth Row

Sixth Row Plus

I must also chime in here and say that recently I have had complaints from clients saying they cannot watch their film without stuttering playback. It seems very unprofessional of me to tell them to please "Click Play, wait the 3 minutes that ti takes to load your 3 minute video, then you can click play again and watch it."

It's really unfortunate because I love this site and it's community. YouTube consistently is loading faster for me, although it is not a site I would use for my portfolio. Here's hoping your team can find solutions to make Vimeo a faster, more reliable video platform. Invest in more bandwidth perhaps? I long for the day I can just click "Play".. and watch.

Mark

Mark Staff

Are you having a problem, or is it other people? If it's others, please have them contact us directly.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.