MOKIF

MOKIF

video keeps sticking on upload - whats wrong with vimeo is vimeo finally over? For a month now anything me or any of my partners upload it sticks in processing and then you reupload and maybe it works. WHAT IS WRONG WITH VIMEO - I am not the only one and I have been uploading to vimeo for over 5 years so I know what I'm doing.

Rebecca Tharp

Rebecca Tharp Staff

Please link me to a specific video if you're having issues. Vimeo is not over!

Valery Lyman

Valery Lyman Plus

having the same issue here - uploaded something now it is taking forever. says conversion process will start soon. been saying that for a few hours now. my file is long - it's a big upload - so I don't want to restart that whole process if I don't have to. I'm trying to get something important out in a timely manner. please help.

Valery Lyman

Valery Lyman Plus

Hi Rebecca, here's the link. The video is working now, but pretty fuzzy. I think it looked better the first time. Is there a possibility that something could be different with the transcoding? Anyhow, I know it's a big file. I may try to recompress and upload again. Can you tell me the approximate amount of time it takes to process the video after upload - meaning when I "replace" this file, how long will the page be down for viewers who are trying to access it? That will help me make strategic timing decisions. Thank you.
vimeo.com/8866052

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Hey Valery, That time can vary based on how many jobs are in the transcoding queue at any given moment. As a Plus member, it's usually just a few minutes.

Regarding the quality -- it looks like your first version was converted to 480p and your more recent version is 360p. I'm going to check in with one of our developers to find out why this is happening. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Valery Lyman

Valery Lyman Plus

Thanks so much Darnell. If I need to re-upload it I will, as I really need it to look as good as possible, and am waiting on this before I push it out all the way. Not sure what is meant by 480p or 360p, but I'll take your word for it that 360p is less information.

I am also at the moment experimenting with other compressions that might be smaller files without losing too much quality.

Another question I have is about my upload space for the week - as long as I'm just "replacing" the file, I'm not using up my allotted space right? I think I have just used 3.5G this week, so if I upload a smaller file I can do a side by side with the current version to see how much is lost once the file has been converted by Vimeo.

As soon as you can let me know if I need to re-upload my file to be converted to 480p instead of 360p I will jump on it, so please do. It takes several hours to upload the file. Thanks for getting back to me!

Valery Lyman

Valery Lyman Plus

gosh, now I uploaded a much smaller file using the compression guidelines your site lists, and while I got an email telling me the video file was ready, it won't play. The file seems to load, there's a thumbnail and the right run time, but when I press play (have tried several browsers) all that happens is I get a black screen.

This whole experience with Vimeo has been pretty terrible. You guys are only around for support from 10a-6p? What am I paying for? You're going to start loosing customers that way .... that's a really limited time period for internet video users. If you're not going to be available, it has to work .....

Rebecca Tharp

Rebecca Tharp Staff

Hi Valery, that video is playing fine for me. Please try making sure your Flash player and browsers are fully up to date.

Valery Lyman

Valery Lyman Plus

It is playing fine NOW. It wasn't for many hours. In the meantime I had to upload another one. I will be deleting that one. I tried several browsers on it. Your product should be working on all browsers and you shouldn't just have to have the most up to date ones. Nevertheless, that wasn't the problem, because now it plays fine. The problem was definitely on your end. Nothing has changed on mine.

Valery Lyman

Valery Lyman Plus

Is there any way you could look into Darnell's comment from above? The video still looks so poor to me. I have replaced it with a much smaller file. Do you guys keep the old files/conversions on hand? I'd like to put the bigger file back up, but only if there will be something different with the conversion on your end. It might be my mind just playing tricks on me, but before I "replaced" the file earlier in the week, it looked much crisper to me. Darnell then confirmed that saying it looks like a 360p instead of a 480p was being used on the video. Thanks.

Rebecca Tharp

Rebecca Tharp Staff

Yes, it does appear that this version is 360p when it shouldn't be. As Darnell mentioned, we will have our developers take a look to see if something funky is happening in the transcoding process. Unfortunately, I'm not a developer, so we'll get back to you as soon as we can!

To address your other question, no, we do not have the old file that was up before the current one. The only files we have access to are the ones that are on Vimeo.com currently.

Valery Lyman

Valery Lyman Plus

how long do you think it will be before you can hear from your developer, i.e. before i can resolve the issue? Thanks.

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Hey Valery, Darnell again.

I can't provide an ETA for any resolution at the moment, but I have already started the conversation and I hope to know more soon. Thanks for your patience and sorry for the inconvenience.

Valery Lyman

Valery Lyman Plus

here's another question: is there any way to "share" my film on other people's timeline in Facebook? right now the facebook option seems to only let me post on my own page. That seems rather limited, no?

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Hey Valery, All you need to do is copy and paste the link into the submission field on someone's Facebook timeline. There's no way to post to someone's timeline directly from Vimeo.

Also, I may have found a temporary solution to improving the quality of the video you asked about earlier. You should be seeing a higher quality version of the video soon: vimeo.com/8866052

Valery Lyman

Valery Lyman Plus

Darnell, thanks so much for your help.

1) that's GREAT news about an improved quality of the video. once you think you have it solved, do you think I should replace what I've got there now with the original video (which was much better)? I'd temporarily put this smaller file up because I thought maybe your converter would handle it better. That didn't turn out to be true.

2) I'm having an interesting problem with facebook which is that whenever I do what you have suggested - just copy the link in someone else's timeline - I get an older version of the vimeo site. It seems like it's using something that perhaps was cached a few days ago, when I first linked to the page from facebook. I don't seem to be able to get it to post the current vimeo page unless I do the "share" and then "facebook" buttons straight from the vimeo site. Do you know how this can be circumvented on facebook?

Once again - breathe - ..... thank you for the help.

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Hey Valery,

(1) Not sure when we'll have a more permanent solution but the temporary solution should already be in place. Check out your video again and let me know if the quality is better when you watch with HD turned on (the HD logo will be blue if it's on and gray if it's off).

(2) You can clear out Facebook's cached version of the URL with their debugger tool. Paste the URL into here and see if that does the trick: developers.facebook.com/tools/debug

Valery Lyman

Valery Lyman Plus

thanks so much Darnell, I will try that.

One thing though, is that my file is not HD, it is SD originally. Does that make a difference?

Valery Lyman

Valery Lyman Plus

I actually do think it looks better, yes. I'll do an extensive test in an hour or so.

Now that it's better, do you think I should re-upload my original file (which might even look better yet) or does your fix pertain only to this specific file?

It's this link that you fixed, right?
vimeo.com/8866052

Thanks so much for your help.

Valery

Valery Lyman

Valery Lyman Plus

another quick facebook question: when someone watches the linked/embedded link on facebook, does the tally on my Vimeo site goes up? my guess is this hasn't been happening. I'm watching people respond to the film on facebook and the Vimeo tally of plays has hardly moved. Fix?

Mark

Mark Staff

We're looking into some stats issues right now. They should be counting, if that's not being reflected immediately, it will catch up later on.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.