The Dark Sky Company, LLC

The Dark Sky Company, LLC

Video I'm uploading are playing back at 50 times normal playback speed when I press the play button. If I then rewind the video and play it again it's fine. This is a little hard to see at first because they're time-lapses, but If you look at the duration of the movies you'll notice that some are over a minute long.

They're all online here: vimeo.com/lewitt

I'm uploading h264 compressed QuickTime movies with a very high bitrate and a framerate of 25fps.

I've seen this problem on other people's videos, so I bet it's already been discussed and solved but I could find a thread on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have another 16 time-lapses of murals to put online in the next 24 hours to coincide with an opening at MASS MoCA. Thanks in advance.

Daniel Hayek

Daniel Hayek Staff

I reviewed some of the vids in your channel, is the playback still too fast? I'm having trouble seeing it b/c it's time lapse, as you mentioned.

Mark

Mark PRO

I took a look earlier today on my iMac running Leopard and didn't see any problem with your videos. However, I just took a second look on my Macbook Pro running Tiger and do see what you described. Your videos are running 3-4 times faster than normal.

(Daniel, the video progress bar is the tipoff. Watch how fast those numbers fly by- if you can replicate this)

Adam Grossman

Adam Grossman

Looks like with the brand-spanking new version of Flash 10, there is no issue. On all browsers on my Mac (Leopard), using Flash 9,0,124,0 the problem exists.

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

We have had sporadic reports of this issue and we have seen it ourselves in a few instances. Please keep posting videos with this problem while we try to narrow down the cause. Thanks!

stml

stml

I'm seeing exactly this error with recent videos. Can't provide links as currently private.

When I hit play, the video plays at high speed. If I stop it, drag back to the beginning, and start again, it plays normally.

Am on Flash 9, but then, so are most of the people watching videos...

Marc Carson

Marc Carson

Flash 10 here, seeing the same problem as stml. One interesting exception is this video, which seems to count time correctly, but with no frame-to-frame interpolation. In other words, it's like watching a slideshow where every second is a new slide:

vimeo.com/886616

Alex Gollner

Alex Gollner

My 31 second video first plays back in 4 seconds.

On

vimeo.com/2363260

and when embedded at alex4d.wordpress.com/

...the video loads and plays back very quickly - in four seconds. The second play works fine.

(Shouldn't this topic be in the 'Known Issues' forum?)

emoks

emoks

This happens to me as well. First time it was a quicktime encoded with sorenson3, then second time I tried with an .avi. Same results as everyone above.

vimeo.com/2351838

Today

Today

Seems to happen when I view any video under 30 seconds. It jumps from the first to last frame when you press play, then when you press play a second time it plays back at a normal speed.

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

Thanks guys, we'll check into it. It seems isolated and looks like it only happens on the fist play, correct?

VW TV

VW TV

No, mine keeps happening. Even after the first play but it clears up half way through the video. Should I keep uploading or wait till the problem is fixed?

Alex Gollner

Alex Gollner

I have found that this happens with short videos that are silent. After I added a soundtrack to my video, with all the other settings the same, the bug went away.

Konrad Dubiel

Konrad Dubiel

The same problem here: vimeo.com/2403933
Video starts playing much too fast, after rewinding to the beginning it is fine.
The same file is played without problems on youtube (the same computer, browser and flash plugin).

Daniel Hayek

Daniel Hayek Staff

We are beginning to suspect this is a flash based bug, hopefully Adobe will release a patch relatively soon.

Richard Mattsson

Richard Mattsson

As Alex noted, I also found adding a soundtrack seemed to solve the problem on some short stop-motion clips a friend had uploaded. Previously, they played back about 3 times too fast, but would play normally by hitting 'play' again. (Still with Flash 9 here, BTW.)

Michael Hogg

Michael Hogg

I too have noticed that the problem only seems to occur with videos that have no sound (no audio track).

Alex Gollner

Alex Gollner

This bug also happens in a slightly different way on a silent video I have on YouTube:

youtube.com/watch?v=W7w0d0nqJDM

It is difficult to see as it is a timelapse. If you wait for it all to load, press play and watch the playback thumb on the bar, you'll see it race through the first half before moving at the proper speed.

The video is the same as a copy on Vimeo (played twice):

vimeo.com/753566

Daniel Hayek

Daniel Hayek Staff

I'm curious, if you add in an audio track to your silent video but then drop the volume to a minimal level or mute before rendering, does this problem still happen?

Let me know, thanks.

Richard Mattsson

Richard Mattsson

Not sure if this is the same as what you mean - I generated 'silence' in Audacity and added it as the audio track in the problematic videos. Seems to be OK now.

Daniel Hayek

Daniel Hayek Staff

Yeah that's what I meant. This might be a work around for the time being, let's see if other users are successful with this technique.

Michael Hogg

Michael Hogg

The problem occurs with ALL of my silent videos (no audio tracks):

vimeo.com/437126
vimeo.com/437840
vimeo.com/437858
vimeo.com/437890
vimeo.com/438035
vimeo.com/438098
vimeo.com/439737
vimeo.com/439746
vimeo.com/439795
vimeo.com/443648
vimeo.com/450776
vimeo.com/471714
vimeo.com/474851
vimeo.com/603304
vimeo.com/605198
vimeo.com/606289
vimeo.com/1507934

The problem doesn't occur with ANY of my videos with audio. So I think that's fairly conclusive proof that the cause of the problem is the lack of an audio track.

All the above videos were playing fine about a month ago. I haven't changed or updated my version of Flash since then, so I can only assume that the problem was caused by an update to the moogaloop Flash video player that Vimeo uses.

Is it possible for Vimeo to revert to an earlier version of its moogaloop player, to eliminate this problem?

(PS. I would rather not have to add a blank audio track to all my silent videos and reupload them all again!)

Today

Today

It seems to be happening on other streaming video sites as well, so probably a bug in flash..

frijole

frijole

One more, this is a short clip I uploaded with no audio, H.264 from Quicktime Pro: vimeo.com/2534644 It almost always plays back super fast the first time, then fine after that.

Daniel Hayek

Daniel Hayek Staff

This is a flash based bug. For now, a work around is to add an audio track and mute it prior to rendering.

Richard Holt

Richard Holt

It's happening with my first Vimeo video:

vimeo.com/2558197

My clip is short and silent, if it isn't going to play back reliably on my blog I'm going to have to use YouTube or Flickr instead...

®

sumanth peddamatham

sumanth peddamatham

This is happening to my vids, too. The problem goes away if you let it complete buffering, then scrub back to the beginning. The extra step is annoying for visitors to my blog tho.

vimeo.com/2596793

Thanks!

starkes

starkes

yes it does happen every time

Gregory Martin

Gregory Martin Plus

this is happening here to a very long (30 min + video) with lots of audio. seems to keep happening over and over again. tried emptying the browser cache, and tried letting it finish buffering and scrubbing back to the beginning doesn't seem to help. it plays fine after about 15:15 or so. weird.

Gregory Martin

Gregory Martin Plus

oh, now it plays at the right speed, but no pic, no sound. moving on to a different forum.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.