Brian Woldrich

Brian Woldrich

Help! I'm am new to Vimeo.
When I add my video URL to my website it will not play. In the Privacy Tab under Where can this video be embedded? I have choosen the 'Only on sites I choose' button.
The video will play on my website when the other two options are picked. The main reason signed up for Plus was for the 3rd option - 'Only on sites I choose'.
Am I doing somthing wrong? Please help! My website is new and I would really like the video playing (with my choosen settings) asap. Thank you!

Mark

Mark Staff

Can you link us to the video and to the page you're embedding it on, please?

Brian Woldrich

Brian Woldrich

Website Host: Wix.com

Video: vimeo.com/54339935

This issue may have something to do with my website host. Not sure.
I left out the above links in my original post because I didn't want to make my video available to the Vimeo community. No offense. I just prefer this video be only embedded and viewed on my site.

If it turns out that this is a issue with my Website Host, do you have suggestions that might help keep my video more private but still use the host? My main concern is enabling people to embed my video on their site. I really prefer it isn't possible.

Thanks much for help and quick reply.
Brian

Link: vimeo.com/54339935

Mark

Mark Staff

Oh my god, I love your dogs! So cute.

Do you have a Wix URL? Like, username.wix.com or something like that? If you do, try whitelisting that as well.

Brian Woldrich

Brian Woldrich

Thank you Mark! They are pretty special! :)

To my knowledge, there is no longer a Wix URL for my site after going live. I login to Wix with my email address and password. Not sure what you mean by 'whitelisting'. Please keep in mind I'm pretty brainless when it comes to computer tech stuff. Layman's terms is best.
Seems like I read somewhere that Wix will not except videos that are marked private and they need to be made so that others can embed them. Pretty lame! What advantage would they gain from making this a rule? If this is the case, do I have any options other then finding a new web host? I put a lot of time into building my site.

Mark

Mark Staff

Hmm - I think you should still have a URL somewhere. I understand you have your own domain name, but i'm wondering if they just apply that as a "vanity" URL but keep the real core guts of your site running under the regular URL that they give you.

Can you poke around and see if you can find that core username.wix.com URL? Or try and guess it? It's probably the name you sign in with or something.

Brian Woldrich

Brian Woldrich

One possible thought is that it could be the name of my site with Wix. Not Triple T Unleashed but the name I gave my site while building it. That name has recently been changed it to match Triple T Unleashed. Can't recall if I changed prior to or after going live.
As far as logging on to Wix, I use my email address and password. My User Name on Wix is my email address.
I'll see if I can get an answer from Wix on what my core username.wix.com URL would be. They are not quite as fast with their replies as Vimeo.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Okay, sounds good, Brian. Keep us posted with what you find. I'd be curious to hear.

Brian Woldrich

Brian Woldrich

I tried it (several different combinations) and the video didn't work with private settings. :(

Got any ideas?

Mark

Mark Staff

Alright so I tried playing around with it a bunch. It looks like you're right. The domain referrer that wix is sending back is

static.wix.com/services/html-wysiwyg/1.257.12/html/external/video.html?url=http%3A%2F%2Fplayer.vimeo.com%2Fvideo%2F54339935%3Fautoplay%3Dtrue%26loop%3Dtrue%26byline%3Dfalse%26portrait%3Dfalse%26title%3Dfalse&width=360&height=265

So what they're doing is, when you embed a video - it's being put inside it's own iframe. That iframe resides on static.wix.com - So.. If you add this domain to the list, it works. However, what that means is that anybody with a Wix site would be able to embed it (but ONLY on Wix sites). Now -the chances of that are relatively small, but I understand your want to lock it down strictly to your site only.

Unfortunately, I can't think of any other services like Wix off the top of my head. But I wish you luck in your search, if that's the direction you choose to go.

Brian Woldrich

Brian Woldrich

Think I may add the wix domain- static.wix.com. Its better than leaving it the way it is now. As is, the whole world can embed my video. When you tried it and the video worked, did you have the privacy settings at 'hide this video from Vimeo.com' & 'only on sites I choose'?
Do I need to cut/paste the lengthy domain or can I just use 'static.wix.com'?

At this point, I have no intensions of using a different website provider. I have too much time invested into my current site.

Really appreciate all your help Mark! Seems like I read somewhere on the net, Vimeo has an office locally here in Portland Oregon. Is this true?

Mark

Mark Staff

Yes, I had it at "hide this video" and "only sites" using tripletunleashed.com, reefreflectionbjw.wix.com, and static.wix.com

Oh man, I wish we had an office in Portland, i'd love to work there! We had a director of community who worked remotely from his home in Portland for a few years, but that's about as close as came.

Brian Woldrich

Brian Woldrich

wait a minute... it worked for you using all 3 of those domains? I'm confused. I tried tripletunleashed.com, reefreflectionbjw.wix.com and didn't have any luck. Havent tried static.wix.com, yet. Do I need to cut/paste the lengthy domain or can I just use 'static.wix.com'?

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.