The Wharf is a short 35mm film by local independent film makers taking a look at Devonport's Wharf, parts of Devonport and Devonport Connection Cafe. Located on Auckland's North Shore soon to be called The Super City.
- Thank you to Tom & Senki for agreeing to be filmed and the use of Devonport Connection and their warm friendly welcome.
In 1840 a flagstaff was raised on Mt Victoria and the town became known as Flagstaff until 1859 when it was renamed Devonport. Named after Queen Victoria, Mount Victoria is the highest volcano on Auckland's North Shore, providing panoramic views of the harbour and gulf, with a map table that identifies the offshore islands.
Devonport is a harbourside suburb of Auckland, New Zealand. It is located on the North Shore, at the southern end of a peninsula that runs southeast from near Lake Pupuke in Takapuna, forming the northern side of the Waitemata Harbour. East of Devonport lies North Head, the northern promontory guarding the mouth of the harbour.
The population of Devonport and the adjoining suburb of Cheltenham was 5,337 in the 2006 Census, an increase of 126 since 2001. With the additional suburbs of Stanley Bay, Vauxhall and Narrow Neck, the 2006 population was 11,142.
The suburb hosts the Devonport Naval Base of the Royal New Zealand Navy, the main facility for the country's naval vessels, but is best known for its harbourside dining and drinking establishments and its heritage charm. In its scenery and setting, Devonport has been compared to Sausalito, California.
The first ferry services to Auckland city began in the 1840s These were open sailing cutters operated by local seamen running passengers to the foot of Queen Street Auckland's main road. In 1860 the first paddlesteamer ferries began operation. These were in turn replaced by double-ended, screw-driven ferries in 1904.Both passenger and vehicle ferries operated on the Devonport run until the opening of the Auckland Harbour Bridge in 1959. Immediately after the opening of the bridge passenger ferry services to other North Shore destinations (such as Northcote and Birkenhead) were cancelled as were all vehicular ferries.
The Devonport passenger ferry was retained on a much reduced timetable. The majority of the ferries were scrapped, only a handful being retained until being replaced by more modern vessels. The last of the old-style double-ended ferries, the diesel-engined Kestrel (built in 1905), was retired from the commuter run in 1988 and was then operated for cruises and sightseeing. In 2002 the Kestrel was moved to Tauranga to serve as a floating restaurant.
Today, ferry services, subsidised by the Auckland Regional Transport Authority, are more numerous again. A crossing between the Auckland CBD and Devonport takes about 12 minutes, usually on the 'Seabus Kea', a newer, double-ended ship purpose-built as a ferry.
YT Channel: youtube.com/watch?v=wVnIwEOggK8