Tyler Memorial United Methodist Church is committed to helping others and serving Christ our Lord. We are located at the corner of Church & Mill Street in Chillicothe, Ohio. You are welcome to come in any Sunday and hear our Pastor, Don Mundy, preach!
A Brief History of Tyler Memorial United Methodist Church
Tyler Memorial United Methodist Church began its ministry May 30, 1907. The cornerstone for the Tyler Memorial United Brethren Church was laid on May 12, 1915. On September 19, 1915, the new building was opened and dedicated, free of debt, with a total membership of 105. The cost in 1915 to build the Church was $8,000. The current sanctuary is the same building.
The Basement underneath the Sanctuary was Dug out by hand in 1918 to provide the Soldiers who were stationed at Camp Sherman (An army training camp formerly located just north of Town) a Christian place to Fellowship instead of the Bars located downtown during WWI.
The United Brethren in Christ denomination and the Evangelical Church denomination merged in 1946 to form the Evangelical United Brethren denomination. The welcome mat at the Church Street Entrance has on it EUB reflecting this heritage of Tyler Memorial Church.
An Educational Wing was added to the rear of the building in 1957 with Construction completed in 1959.
In 1968, the E.U.B, denomination and the Methodist denomination merged to form the United Methodist Church. The stained glass window above the Church Street Entrance reflects this affiliation with the letters UM.
The sanctuary was remodeled and then re consecrated on May 18, 1975. A fire on December 18, 1983, caused extensive damage to the building. The sanctuary floor, underneath where the piano now stands, needed to be rebuilt causing the pillars in Albright Hall to be arranged in a haphazard formation. the platform was enlarged just slightly a bit.
Also around the time of the fire, new chandeliers and wall lights were Installed. A new Baldwin baby grand piano was purchased (1984) Along with a new organ (1989). In 2003 Projection equipment was installed & a new audio visual booth was built.
In 1981 an elevator, central air conditioning, and new glass entrance doors were installed. A dedication service was held on January 11, 1981. In 1987 Central Air Conditioning was installed in the Educational Wing as well as in the Fellowship Hall (Known as Otterbein Hall which is located on the basement level of the Educational Wing).
The steeple was added to the building in 1997 from memorial money given by various persons and lights were added to shine on it at night. A new lighted church sign replaced the old wooden one outside at the comer of the building (Church & Mill Streets) in 2001, from the bequeath of Faye Bean.
The Tyler Memorial United Methodist Church celebrated 100 years of ministry October 14, 2007.
In 2011 Tyler remodeled the restrooms on the Sanctuary Level to make them Handicapped Accessible.
Eighteen persons have gone into some type of full-time Christian service from Tyler Church.
Visit our Websites At the Links Provided Below: