Jean-Michel Crapanzano is a multidisciplinary artist, currently working and living in the Netherlands. He’s graduated from the Art School of Strasbourg, FR ( art practice, art history, philosophy) and the university of Maastricht ( NL). In 2003, he received a grant from the French Cultural Government and the city of Strasbourg for an art residency in Los Angeles.
The Raid Project gallery from L.A. exhibited his work after the residency, at the same time a French publisher edited his first personal publication “Survival projects”. That was the first step of the cycle of exhibitions “ Invisible empire”, which started at the Bronx River Art Center in New-York, The Armory Show in New-York again, Signal 66 gallery and the Wharehouse gallery in Washington DC.
Other exhibitions ( selection) :
-Present Company art space, New-York.
-Kappur gallery, Tilburg, solo show.
-Raum fur Kunst Art center, Aachen, Germany, solo show, Feb 2012.
-New project "Ex-Voto" in partnership with la Maison de l'architecture Lorraine, France, Nov-Dec 2011.
-Pavilioen Art Rotterdam, The Netherlands, Feb 2012.
-Furthermorellc gallery, Washington DC
-Schunck museum of contemporary art, Heerlen, NL,project Tosca.
-BaB gallery, New-York,USA
-International Art Fair Cologne, represented by Artco gallery, D
-AAF Art Fair, Bruxelles (B), represented by Jour et Nuit gallery, Paris.
-Arlington Art Center, Washington DC, USA- art residency.
- 7th International Biennale of photography and visuel art, Liege, Belgium : art center Les Chiroux, Museum of contemporary art Liege, Museum of contemporary art Ludwig Forum Aachen Germany.
- Selected for the commission “ Art in public space”, city of Heerlen/ Art center Signe.
-Gallery Jouretnuit, Paris FR
- Museum of Contemporary Art Van Abbe/Your-space ,Eindhoven, NL , as artist and curator
- Museum of Contemporary Art Schunck, Heerlen,NL
- MAC 2000 Art fair, Paris, FR.
- Gallery RFD, Swainsboro, USA.
- Mymonkey gallery, solo show, Nancy, France.
- Raid Project gallery, Los Angeles, USA
- Signe Art Center, solo show Heerlen, NL
- Buro BK Art Center, solo show Vlissingen, NL
- Huis voor de kunst art center, “Glocal affairs” Roermond, NL.
- Cultura Nova Festival, Heerlen, NL
- Bronx River art center, New-York, USA
- Aperto gallery, Montpellier, France.
- gallery N36, Strasbourg
- Armory Show Art Fairs, New york, USA.
- The Wharehouse gallery, Washington DC, USA.
- Signal 66 gallery, Washington DC, USA September.
- Fundament Foundation, Stichting De Pont Museum,
- Raid Projects gallery, Los Angeles, USA.
- Museum of Fine art, Meaux, FR
- Bibliotheque Varsovia, Poland.
Two Dutch TV’s realized a reportage about his works and concepts for the exhibition “ Invisible empire : ghost and remembrance “ , Center of Contemporary Art Signe (NL).
Grant -sponsors :
- Grafic studio Daglicht, city of Eindhoven et Noord Brabant
- Huis Voor de Kunst/Signe art center pour l’exposition« «Glocal Affairs »
- artistic residency Los Angeles, Ministery of Culture, City of strasbourg
Public collections :
-Museum of Art, Meaux.
- Buro BK Art Center, Vlissingen, Pays Bas
- Private collections.
-« Survival project » personnal publication , édition Aceca
- « Glocal affair » Art Center Huis voor de Kunst, NL
- « Invisible empire « BuroBK, Vlissingen
-« L’art francais aux Pays-Bas « édition Turksma
-« Barely danger » Signal 66 editions, San Francisco
- « Salon parkstad » , Museum of contemporary art Schunck, Heerlen
Articles and reportages in magazines and newspapers.