STUDIES: BA (Hons) Fine Art - Sculpture, Central St. Martins College of Art and Design, London Institute. London, England. Graduated in 1988
ACADEMIC POSITION: Since 2007 she is an Adjunct Professor, at the Superior School of Fine Arts in Athens, Greece (Masters of Fine Arts Degree).
Danae represented Greece in the 48th Venice Biennale (1999). She also participated in the main programs of: The 1st Valencia Biennale, Spain (2001); Bienal International del Deporte en el Arte - BIDA 2005 Seville, Spain (2005); 5th International Biennial of Contemporary Art, Gyumri, Armênia (2006); 1st Thessaloniki Biennale, Greece (2007); Istanbul - Culture Capital of Europe 2010, International Visual Arts Program (2010); The Adelaide Festival, Exhibition RESTLESS - Adelaide International 2012, Australia.
The main body of her work consists of large-scale outdoor and indoor installations. In her work she uses elements of nature, which she incorporates with new technologies, such as video, photography and sound thus creating audiovisual environments | installations. Through her work she aims to invoke the senses and address the inner rhythm of life and being.
In 2010 she initiated and co-founded the non-profit organization Vital Space. Vital Space is a global, interdisciplinary, cross-media art platform addressing the pressing issues of our time.
She is one of the 3 partners of D.A.ST Arteam, who created DESERT BREATH. One of the largest Land Art projects on the planet, covering 100,000 m2, located in the eastern Egyptian Sahara bordering the Red Sea. Egypt (1997).
Her Latest Exhibitions include among others:
• Participation at the Adelaide Festival. Exhibition RESTLESS - Adelaide International 2012. Curator Victoria Lynn. Project The Globalising Wall. Australia, (2012).
• A solo presentation of The River of Life, at the Old Bath House of the Winds. Organised by the Hellenic Ministry of Culture, Athens, (2011).
• Her solo exhibition ICESONGS at La Verriere (Fondation D’ Enterprise Hermes). Curator Alice Morgain. Brussels, Belgium (2010).
• The presentation of her project Vital Space – Istanbul at Tophane in Istanbul. An invitation & commission by Istanbul Cultural Capital of Europe 2010, in the context of the international exhibition Lives and Works in Istanbul.
• Material Links, MOCA - Shanghai, in the context of cultural year of Greece in China. Shanghai, China.
• Bare Life, Museum on the Seam. Curator, Raphie Etgar. Jerusalem, Israel (2007).
• Topoi, Benaki Museum. Curator, Denys Zacharopoulos. Athens, Greece (2007).
Current Solo Exhibitions:
• SCA Galleries (Sydney College of the Arts). Curator Nicholas Tsoutas. Project Vital Space – Istanbul. Sydney, Australia (April 2012)
• Zoumboulakis Galleries in Athens. Project, IT’S TME TO OPEN THE BLACK BOXES! Athens, Greece (April-May 2012)
She has also participated in various international exhibitions organized by the National Museum of Contemporary Art, in Athens:
• in Transcultures (Athens 2004), with the video installation The River of Life, for which she followed the flow of 7 major terrestrial rivers: the Danube, the Nile, the Amazon, the Mississippi, the Niger, the Ganges and the Yangtze;
• in both Transexpririences (Beijing 2008) as well as Art and Politics (Athens 2011), were
with Cut – 7 dividing lines, for which she travelled and photographed the divisions in Cyprus, Kosovo, Ethiopia-Eritrea, Kashmir, Palestine, Belfast and along the US-Mexican border.
In Greece she is represented by the Zoumboulakis Galleries in Athens were she has presented two solo exhibitions: See Through (2005) and CUT - 7 dividing lines (2007).