Video 101: Importing your videos with Windows Live Movie Maker
If you've shot a video on your camera but have no idea where to go from there, the first step is getting your footage from your camera to your computer. It's a really simple process, so let's get to it.
There are two ways you can get the footage off of your camera. First, you can connect your camera directly to your computer with a USB cable. Your camera probably came with one. Once it's connected, turn your camera on and you should be good to go! If your computer has a card reader built in, you can take the memory card out of the camera and place it into your computer. Either way will achieve the same thing. Alright, are you following so far? Awesome, moving on.
The next step is to take the footage off of your camera and transfer it to your computer. Navigate to the card or camera by going to the 'Computer' icon in the start menu. Highlight the folder containing your video clips and drag it to the desktop. This can take some time, so go grab an iced tea and come back. Ahhh, isn't that refreshing? Just make sure not to spill on your computer, that would be bad.
Now it's time to open up Windows Live Movie Maker and begin editing. Once you're in the program, click on 'Browse Video Files' and find the videos on your computer, highlight them and choose 'Open'. This will add them to the timeline and then you can begin editing!
- Connect your camera or card to your computer
- Drag and drop your files onto your desktop
- Open Windows Live Movie Maker
- Find and open your files to add them to your timeline
- Don't spill your ice tea on your computer
Continue to the next step, Trimming & Cutting
Check out the other episodes in this series:
- Video 101: Adding text & titles with Windows Live Movie Maker
Text and titles can be added to your videos to create title cards, credits and…
- Video 101: Adding transitions & effects with Windows Live Movie Maker
Transitions and effects in moderation can really make your video pop! These can…
- Video 101: Editing Sound & Music with Windows Live Movie Maker
You can edit the sound in your videos and add music to create a more dynamic feel…
- Video 101: Editing with Windows Live Movie Maker
It's time to learn the basics of editing. If you're on a PC, you can…
- Video 101: Exporting to share on Vimeo with Windows Live Movie Maker
Exporting your video is the final step before you upload your video to Vimeo. It's…
- Video 101: Importing your videos with Windows Live Movie Maker
One of the first steps to editing a video is getting that footage into your editing…
- Video 101: Trimming & Cutting with Windows Live Movie Maker
This lesson covers the basics of editing a video together in Windows Live Movie…
One of the first steps to editing a video is getting that footage into your editing program. This lesson will show you how to import your videos into Windows Live Movie Maker so you can start editing your masterpiece!
New to Video School? Read our Frequently Asked Questions.
Browse by Category
Submit Your Tutorial
Most of the video tutorials in our Video School lessons come from Vimeo members. If you have a tutorial you'd like to share, please submit it here.