2016 has been, well, eventful. In a year marked by the departure of too many of our “Heroes” (shout out to the Starman!), political upheavals around the world and the untimely demise of the headphone jack, it was especially refreshing to dig into this year’s archive of Staff Picks and revisit some of the brightest moments from the year that was. That’s not to say this was an easy task, though. Sifting through the millions of videos that were uploaded to Vimeo this year and whittling them down to a digestible list of “the best of the best” is probably impossible and definitely insane. But we gave it a shot, like we do every year, and we’re really pleased with the results.
In many respects, 2016 was a turning point for Vimeo. Bolstered by our first full slate of Vimeo Originals and our new Staff Pick Premieres program, Vimeo has never been a more formidable viewing destination. Whereas filmmakers were previously hesitant to share their festival shorts online, Vimeo has emerged as the preferred platform for launching the best short films on the internet. It’s no coincidence that some of the jury prize winners from this year’s Sundance Film Festival and SXSW appear on this list.
That said, many of the videos on our list eschewed the festival circuit altogether and went straight to Vimeo. As curators, there’s a unique thrill to discovering a video on Vimeo, sharing it with the community and then witnessing it go far and wide across the internet with audiences reacting the same way we did when we first watched it.
We hope you enjoy our favorite videos from 2016 half as much as we did. Even though 2016 might have seen many low points on the whole, we’re so grateful that it’s been a great one for creativity, for exciting new voices steadfastly putting their work onto Vimeo for us and the rest of the world to enjoy and to discover. 2016 will be a tough act to follow in more ways than one.
Vimeo On Demand Best Action Sports:
- Chaud Lapin from Géraldine Gaston, Alexis Magaud, Flora Andrivon, Maël Berreur & Soline Bejuy
- Pineapple Calamari from Kasia Nalewajka
- Symphony no. 42 from Reka Bucsi
Vimeo On Demand Best Animation:
- HOW TO LOSE WEIGHT IN 4 EASY STEPS from Benjamin Berman
- The Procedure from Calvin Reeder
- Fired on Mars from Nick and Nate
Vimeo On Demand Best Comedy:
- Speaking is Difficult from Field of Vision
- I think this is the closest to how the footage looked from Yuval Hameiri
- These C*cksucking Tears from Dan Taberski
Vimeo On Demand Best Documentary:
Vimeo On Demand Best Drama:
- The Lion City II – Majulah from Keith Loutit
- The Was, 2016 from Soda_Jerk
- EVERYTHING IS IN YOUR HANDS – 4K from Gioacchino Petronicce
- DJ Shadow ft. Run The Jewels – Nobody Speak from Sam Pilling
- THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS Wide Open (feat. Beck) from D O M & N I C
- Jamie XX, Gosh from ROMAIN-GAVRAS
Vimeo On Demand Best Music:
Outstanding pieces of art, no? There is more where that came from! Visit this page for a list of the best Staff Picks from months past.